I Called In Sick Today

And that is the part the anti-GMO crowd always leaves out. Had crops been left "natural" there's no way they could produce enough to fulfill the food source needs of the world. And, in many cases, more chemicals would have to be used to prevent attack by pests so that crops weren't depleted further since many of the GMO strains are also pest resistant.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Brvy, pardon my ingnorance on the subject, but could you go into why you think gmo's are good versus the common perception of them is bad, and why they fight so hard to not have their food labeled. I've always heard it was bad for us as consumers but don't have any strong feelings on it. So, I'm curious.

What about all of the chemicals being used? Just the cost of doing business? Any thoughts on if they are making us sicker? I guess people live longer than ever, but at what price?

What about companies like Monsanto suing the smaller farmer into obscurity? That's a thing, right?

And do only organic yuppies and people from Iowa care about these things?

Guapo says he grows his own vegetables? Or those considered organic and chemical free or are they derived from gmo based products?

I am genuinely curious. I don't have any hard opinions on any of this

My boy Naps already covered this nicely, but these are great questions.

The seeds that Guapo plants are 100% genetically modified, and will be modified again soon.

Monsanto can be overly aggressive in protecting their patents, and I'm sure there are outlier horror stories.

I have no problem with left wing nuts hating on them like every other company in exsistance, but the seed they produce is fantastic. It's not bad for you, it's amazing.

I don't know about Naps, but I'm constantly amazed driving by bean fields and seeing ZERO weeds and ZERO people walking them. If you brought a farmer from the 70's or 80's, even 90's, in a time machine to 2014 and drove them down I-35 or across I-80 and showed them bean field after bean field completely free of weeds with no work, they would have crapped their pants and orgasmed at the same time.

GMO's could be labeled, but like Napa already alluded to, it would be worthless information. Everything would be labeled and the information would be meaningless to people. It would be extra expense for absolutely nothing other than perception.

It might be smart for them to kill the controversy by just doing it and showing everyone how worthless it is, but that wouldn't be efficient, since no one really knows who "GMO" companies even are. They are an unknown food manufacturing evil. So who cares if people hate "them".

my thoughts about gmos is that they're mainly bad, at least the monsanto stuff, because they engineered them to be resistant to roundup, meaning you're eating pesticide. that's the part that seems to be the worst.

I believe the reports that the first modern person to live to 150 is already alive. This isn't even close to being possible without medicine and GMO's.

since many of the GMO strains are also pest resistant.

Napa would be the resident expert on this, but I believe the word "many" should be replaced by 100%. Correct me if I'm wrong, Naps.

Thanks for the assist, Brvy.

I mean, it's not 100% but it's probably close. You still have people having to spray pesticides and stuff.

And Fvck all these little shits that don't have to walk beans and pick weeds anymore. Although getting to play with a machete at 10 was cool.

I remember I got to "ride" beans for a neighbor one summer and we each had our own little roundup spray gun (this was before plants came roundup ready and you couldn't spray the whole field). I was in heaven not having to walk row after row after row looking for corn and button weeds and thistles.

I walked beans so many summers my leg skin still hurts. Farmers today are super lucky, and they know it.

Labeling wouldn't really cost much.

The actual label wouldn't cost much. Having the correct information updated and researched on a daily basis would.

The labeling crowd wants the label on your hamburger helper to say which field in which state the wheat came from for the noodle, and which fields the spice packet came from.

That would cost a little money.

I mean, it's not 100% but it's probably close. You still have people having to spray pesticides and stuff.

They use tons fewer pesticides though. It's actually amazing how much GMO's have helped reduce the use of pesticides. Our pesticide use on the family farm has plummeted in the last 15 years.

I believe the reports that the first modern person to live to 150 is already alive. This isn't even close to being possible without medicine and GMO's.

yeah but he'll be a retard

my thoughts about gmos is that they're mainly bad, at least the monsanto stuff, because they engineered them to be resistant to roundup, meaning you're eating pesticide. that's the part that seems to be the worst. roundup is why napa is the way he is.

You know roundup is for killing weeds, not pests, right? So, No. Resistance to roundup means that an entire field can be sprayed and only the "bad" plants are killed off, meaning it is far less labor intensive, and cheaper, to keep out invasive species than it was in the past.

Napa would be the resident expert on this, but I believe the word "many" should be replaced by 100%. Correct me if I'm wrong, Naps.

Yeah, I figured it was close to 100% but I didn't want to say it was since I wasn't positive.

They use tons fewer pesticides though. It's actually amazing how much GMO's have helped reduce the use of pesticides. Our pesticide use on the family farm has plummeted in the last 15 years.

This was my point.

yeah but he'll be a retard

At least you'll have something in common

You know roundup is for killing weeds, not pests, right? So, No. Resistance to roundup means that an entire field can be sprayed and only the "bad" plants are killed off, meaning it is far less labor intensive, and cheaper, to keep out invasive species than it was in the past.

and you still end up eating the roundup. I used the wrong word. it doesn't change the outcome of the point. you ****ing retard.

• Like 1

Yes it does. If you were eating roundup you'd be dead. If you don't believe me, try spritzing some on your salad or veggies this weekend. Report back Monday.

and you still end up eating the roundup.

Wait. Are you really not washing your vegetables before eating them?!? That's not a great idea... even from your own garden.

that's... that's not how it works...

Shake, you certainly have the right to be scared of Roundup. If only you knew what people were eating in the 50's.

Or drinking in the 1800's.

• Like 1

My sister in laws dad makes my family look like rich aristocrat farmers. I drove by one of his fields the other day that he hasn't been able to fertilize for years and hasn't sprayed for anything either and the corn is like 3 feet tall. I'd hate to see how big the ears are. I'll be sure to pick some for Shake though so he can get his spray free grain.

FWIW I grow mostly organic, we don't spray at all. Some things I have not been able to find organic, I'm not crazy when it comes to that. (I know organic and GMO are not the same). As for meat I do my best buy organic free range chicken, grass fed beef, stuff without antibiotics, nitrates, etc. I have a small farm I get all my beef from. Pork is the one thing I have never seen organic, pigs eat so much crap I don't even know if that's possible. We also have done our best to cut out stuff with high fructose corn syrup and other preservatives.

The one thing I have not been able to cut out is splenda. Need that shit in my coffee.