I Called In Sick Today

yeah it's taking some getting used to, but I really love it so far. soooo much faster than any pc I've ever had. there are a few things that are popping up that I have no idea what they are and they're frightening and confusing me (sometimes when I open firefox it brings up a big firefox icon then an arrow leading to a folder of some sort. no idea what that is.) but it's definitely a totally rad computer. got the apple mouse too and the directional stuff (scrolling etc.) on it is really really cool.
there is scrolling with the touchpad. two fingers, up and down, or left and right. you can also do two-finger tap for right click, double tap for select/drag, etc. you can get to about 70-80% of mouse dexterity with practice.the thing that pops up is asking you to drag the firefox app to your applications folder. you have the .dmg mounted and are running it through there. which you don't want to be doing long-term. once you have put the firefox icon in your applications folder, you launch it from there and pin it to the launcher or whatever. and then you unmount the firefox image from your desktop by dragging it to the trash. it will turn into an "eject" symbol.stuff isn't intuitive about osx no matter how hard the macfags try to make the opposite case.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I can't help but think that if the black community was this concerned about eradicating the behavior that led to the black male/hoodie stereotype in the first place as they are about getting justice for this one kid they would be a lot better off. Does this make me a racist? I'm not sure how I feel about all this.

there is scrolling with the touchpad. two fingers, up and down, or left and right. you can also do two-finger tap for right click, double tap for select/drag, etc. you can get to about 70-80% of mouse dexterity with practice.the thing that pops up is asking you to drag the firefox app to your applications folder. you have the .dmg mounted and are running it through there. which you don't want to be doing long-term. once you have put the firefox icon in your applications folder, you launch it from there and pin it to the launcher or whatever. and then you unmount the firefox image from your desktop by dragging it to the trash. it will turn into an "eject" symbol.stuff isn't intuitive about osx no matter how hard the macfags try to make the opposite case.
yes the scrolling on the touchpad is 1000 times easier/better than on a pc, that's for sure.and I really have no idea what the hell you said in the second paragraph.
yes the scrolling on the touchpad is 1000 times easier/better than on a pc, that's for sure.and I really have no idea what the hell you said in the second paragraph.
you did not actually install firefox, you are running it on a virtual disk, which is stupid.
I can't help but think that if the black community was this concerned about eradicating the behavior that led to the black male/hoodie stereotype in the first place as they are about getting justice for this one kid they would be a lot better off. Does this make me a racist? I'm not sure how I feel about all this.
That doesn't make you a racist. I'm sure plenty of other stuff does though. But seriously, I totally get your point and my bank, while in a business area, not residential, we got a lot of the Sanford black community, and it is very ghetto. Tons of people on govt assistance, kids all over the place, etc etc yet they still come in on the first of the month stinking of weed. What they term as their culture, the music, the hip hop lifestyle, the not using proper English and the rest of it, whites term as being poor black trash. In Freakanomics, the writers talk about black child names and how it's a starting point of a less successful lifestyle. I'm summarizing of course, but I guess my larger point is that whites can't all about these things (disparity of blacks to whites in prison, for example) without coming off as having an ax to grind. It's def a real thing, but successful blacks (not just athletes) need to address the culture. How many stories of you heard about black kids getting picked on for being smart and trying at school? Is just plain dumbOk, I could go on about this double edged sword but it's a pain typing this and I think my mind is working faster than my typing.But I take your point and it's not totally out there or wrong. To a degree. A lot of it simply stems from fear, ignorance, and yes, some small part of past behaviors in general

Yeah, I hear ya, Ron. The jokingly(???) locking my car doors whenever I have a passenger and a colored walks by probably makes me a racist. And I'm just finally getting around to reading freakonomics and just finished the chapter about how the dope game is ran. Can't wait to get to the black names chapter!

you did not actually install firefox, you are running it on a virtual disk, which is stupid.
hmm. now why wouldn't it just do that automatically? it doesn't seem very intuitive if the logical thing to do is the wrong one. -1 for apple. unless I get an explanation.
hmm. now why wouldn't it just do that automatically? it doesn't seem very intuitive if the logical thing to do is the wrong one. -1 for apple. unless I get an explanation.
Welcome to a world where software doesn't install itself on your computer. You wont miss the viruses.
I don't have an explanation. I'm sure there's some logical reason behind it, or maybe that's the way it's always been on macs, thus it is the intuitive way for it to be for lifetime mac users. people often confuse user-friendly with familiarity. for what I personally do (networked file server+backups), windows 7 beats os x in so many areas and loses in so few, so like I said, I'm definitely just running win7 if I ever do get a macbook pro.
Yeah, I hear ya, Ron. The jokingly(???) locking my car doors whenever I have a passenger and a colored walks by probably makes me a racist. And I'm just finally getting around to reading freakonomics and just finished the chapter about how the dope game is ran. Can't wait to get to the black names chapter!
Gladwell's Outliers was super interesting as well if you haven't read it.

I really should have read freakonomics a long time ago. the point about the naming is so true, how does an HR person approach an app unbiased in the face of that?gladwell is sometimes good, sometimes really bad. see: bizzle arguing with mk/I about the beatles.who else is pumped for mad men in 1.5 hours?

Gladwell's Outliers was super interesting as well if you haven't read it.
That is one book I have read! I'd really like to read more, but I feel like I'm wasting time reading non-CPA books until I pass all the tests. Recently just started Freakanomics as something to read just before bed as a way to keep my brain engaged, but not burning out on accounting. It probably makes no sense to do that though. Vb? I'm starting to get really nervous about my next test and it's at least a month away. Have been debating two dates to schedule it think I'm just gonna go with the later of the two now. Blerg. Wish I could just take 2 weeks off of work to just study.
I really should have read freakonomics a long time ago. the point about the naming is so true, how does an HR person approach an app unbiased in the face of that?gladwell is sometimes good, sometimes really bad. see: bizzle arguing with mk/I about the beatles.who else is pumped for mad men in 1.5 hours?
but Courvoisier Winetavius Richardson could be name of the year, they don't give that accolade to just anybody.
I don't have an explanation. I'm sure there's some logical reason behind it, or maybe that's the way it's always been on macs, thus it is the intuitive way for it to be for lifetime mac users. people often confuse user-friendly with familiarity.
The reason is that "installing" software is a somewhat meaningless term. In a Unix operating system, you don't install things. You have executables somewhere in your hard drive that you can run. That executable can sit anywhere. The only requirement is that it is compiled on your system, which is usually what happens when you think you're "installing" something.. The firefox icon thing is really a mac-special type of file called a package (.pkg). That package contains the executable and all of the files necessary for the program to run, but you see it as one single thing that you can double click, or can move to an applications folder, or to your dock, or whatever.
The reason is that "installing" software is a somewhat meaningless term. In a Unix operating system, you don't install things. You have executables somewhere in your hard drive that you can run. That executable can sit anywhere. The only requirement is that it is compiled on your system, which is usually what happens when you think you're "installing" something.. The firefox icon thing is really a mac-special type of file called a package (.pkg). That package contains the executable and all of the files necessary for the program to run, but you see it as one single thing that you can double click, or can move to an applications folder, or to your dock, or whatever.
I have some sense of how these things work on linux. never knew that about os x.

I am ready for Mad Men. Not pumped though. It's been so long. And I hear ya napa about reading for fun when you have so much reading to do for work/life. I remember bizzle and mk arguing that but I forget who took what side and what their angle was.

I remember bizzle and mk arguing that but I forget who took what side and what their angle was.
gladwell thinks the skills related to playing thousands of live shows had something to do with the way the beatles wrote and recorded the music we all know them for. I thought it was nonsense, bizzle thought I should read the book instead of just watching the interview where gladwell talks about it.I think gladwell's overall point is fine--being good requires tons of practice regardless of natural talent--but let's find an example that makes sense.

I know what Gladwell thinks, I read the book dammit. Pay attention stratty. Ha. I do agree with the part about how they played a ton and got better and became good, and it may have helped them with song writing, but I do agree with you in the sense that being a technically sound musician doesn't necessarily translate to being a creative or good songwriter.

That's a horrible simplification and speculation to boot. There is more to it than that.
Yes, it's quite a complicated scenario.
He killed that kid for being black, wearing a hoodie and not respecting him.
Yes, it's quite a simple scenario.