I Called In Sick Today

Yeah, most people will say red if you ask them for a color and hammer if you ask for a tool. But it has to be quick, first thing that pops in your head.
But why? Is it supposed to be something about that pattern? Obviously the color is because of the pattern, but what's with the hammer? Would most people say hammer if you just asked them for a tool without any weird animated pattern coming first? I HAVE TO KNOW.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

But why? Is it supposed to be something about that pattern? Obviously the color is because of the pattern, but what's with the hammer? Would most people say hammer if you just asked them for a tool without any weird animated pattern coming first? I HAVE TO KNOW.
They are totally unrelated
The questions aren't supposed to have anything to do with it.This is from Yahoo Answers (no, I didn't ask the question):The version that I've seen doesn't ask associative questions, but just a series of small arithmetic questions (135 + 3).You are first instructed to answer a series of questions as quickly as you can without thinking about it. Then you are given a series of simple arithmetic questions get you into the mode of doing a simple calculation, accessing that part of your brain. The questions get progressively harder (but still pretty easy), except the last arithmetic question, which is slightly easier, which primes you for answering a question quickly. They also tell you "almost done, just a couple more questions" to get you to anticipate the ending.Then the payoff question, "Think of a color and a tool." This suddenly causes you to access a different part of your brain that produces random associations, but still answer quickly.Apparently, when asked to think of a color, most people will say "red" first, and when asked to think of a tool will think of a "hammer" first. So this trick will elicit "red hammer" more often than any other combination.I don't know why most people think of red and hammer.
Stare at the center, and eventually the red dots will start to fade.
But those are definitely pink dots, right?Also, when I stare at the dots it looks like they're blinking off, but when I stare at the center it looks like a green dot traveling around the circle.
Apparently, when asked to think of a color, most people will say "red" first, and when asked to think of a tool will think of a "hammer" first. So this trick will elicit "red hammer" more often than any other combination.[/i]I don't know why most people think of red and hammer.
So what's the point of the animation?Oh, wait. I'm now understanding what Wang is trying to tell me.I mean, I still don't get why it's cool. Maybe slightly interesting that people come up with red over other colors, but the hammer is the most common tool out there, one that pretty much everyone has experience with. Of course that's what most people say. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.
Stare at the center, and eventually the red dots will start to fade. UNRELATED: most people just pick the color red and the tool hammer
Now I get it. I am: an idiot.

This is all cognitive neuroscience!

It has to do with the way our conceptual knowledge is organized. We build concepts around prototypes. If you ask people to answer a question like "is it a bird?" and then you show them a robin, an eagle, a penguin.... they are much slower to respond to penguin because it is farther from the central prototype. Hammer is a prototypical tool so it is the most quickly accessed. That's why the time requirement helps. The more time goes on, the more spreading activation brings up the less prototypical tools. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_theory
But those are definitely pink dots, right?Also, when I stare at the dots it looks like they're blinking off, but when I stare at the center it looks like a green dot traveling around the circle.
First, there are red-green color opponent cells in the retina and brain. Essentially these cells compare the amount of red light to the amount of green light. If there are equal amounts of red and green light, you see no color. If there is more red than green, you see red. This is why you have never seen a reddish-green. Red and green only exist in comparison to one another. If you keep your eyes on the center, the red light falls constantly on the same parts of the retina, habituating those cells. They become less sensitive to the red light, essentially setting a new zero point. Once that red light is removed, you see green because the opponent cells are now receiving less than 0 red light, which is green.
Hey, did this happen?Or does it not count because there were no games missed?
#yepI have to admit, I still have alot of interest in football because of my fantasy league with my son and all his friends we've been doing for years. I also am getting a little excited about the new Bengals. But, with that said, not enough to shell out money for a game and have missed some completely due to the blackouts. For years if they were blacked out I would always go down and scalp a ticket or something. At the very least on the rare occasion I couldn't do either I would listen on the radio and didn't even do that. So, there is some lingering effect I suppose.

Guess who just staggered home, pissed all over his socks and floor, ate something the wife tortured, and collapsed in the chair?Times up...A quizIn the last three weeks or so have I been part of which of the followingA) working on a project close to salB) lost my wallet to a stripperC) paid for a cab ride from one city to anotherD) hot wired a forklift to get back to the hotelC) used above mentioned transportation to stop at a liquor storeD) lost mattress in hotel roomE) mattress never recovered but talked war out of itF) made emergency flight to deliver friends kid to children's hospitalG) detained by hospital security for having five beers set off metal detectorH) pulled strings to avoid jail time for throwing tantrum about metal detectors in kids hospitalsI) found out that new powder coating oven and paint booth that cost more than new car was a rip off and didn't get installedJ) one of my crew disappeared without a trace and left family blaming meK) sat inside hotel bar and fell in love with a gal named Paige Wyatt on some gun show on discovery channelL) all of the above plus much moreI'll leave you to ponder the answer while I recuperate with high powered medication

Greatest scene in movie history.
Wow... you are seriously overselling that scene. I also liked Quick Change quite a bit.BEANS!I'm going to go with C and D.

Come on, people, help me figure out a way to get a pair of new bose noise cancelling headphones ("Quiet Comfort" 2, 3, or 15) for my girlfriend's birthday for less than a hundred bucks. This is the goddamn internet, there must be a way. THERE MUST BE A WAY. I've seen some QC2 models on ebay for around $100, but those are all used, and I feel like that's not cool, although refurbished would be ok. Am I missing out on some awesome site for cheap refurbished gadgetry?