I Called In Sick Today

Unrelated to anything, but entertaining: Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura brawl, whole clip.Also, check out the number of mini-mullets on the field. Also also, Bo Jackson was so awesome.
I'm sad that wasn't a little bit longer. I assume that Ryan stayed in and Robin was tossed? Also, did Ryan hit another batter that game? Why did he hit Robin? Every time I see Bo Jackson I feel bad for him. What a terrible way to have a glorious career ruined.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

This is an exaggeration. I've "spoiled for a fight" many a time and it was about something a lot more minor than these options. Just sit her down, say something about how important communication is in a relationship and that you can tell she has something on her mind, get her to tell you what it is, try not to be mean to her when you find out how petty and irrational it is (jealous of your closeness with Maggie, jealous of you boasting about your pulling power, annoyed that you spend so much time on work/betting business, whatever).
You are, of course, correct, but my instincts are usually prett good in these spots. I'm going to leave her to do her thin today, and if she's still being weird on Monday, I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. My natural reaction in these situations is always to say, "Look, you're being weird. I'm not stupid or blind. Explain to me why you're being so weird. Now."I will resist my impulses for at least a little while and try to let her come out of it on her own.
hmmmmmm
I bailed on that whole thing. It was just... too weird
You are, of course, correct, but my instincts are usually prett good in these spots. I'm going to leave her to do her thin today, and if she's still being weird on Monday, I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. My natural reaction in these situations is always to say, "Look, you're being weird. I'm not stupid or blind. Explain to me why you're being so weird. Now."
she's probably on her periodalso: you're smart to avoid her if your typo frequency today is indicative of anything
she's probably on her periodalso: you're smart to avoid her if your typo frequency today is indicative of anything
My typo frequency is indicative of one thing, and one thing only: my fat as fuck fucking thumbs. Jenny texted me at 4:00 with "Havent heard from you all day. Are you mad at me, boy-o?" Girls are so gay.
so did you play "hard to text" with her?
I considered it -- yes, I am even gayer than my super-gay girlfriend -- but eventually texted her back with something like, "Nah, you were kind if icy last night, so I figured you could use a day off." She denied it, and I basically let it go. Whateva whateva.

Hey, all. Question here.I'm a lowly TA teaching English to some hapless teens. Their next paper is on re-mediation, or taking a text from one medium to another: book to movie, graphic novel to Heath Ledger, etc.One thing they like about me is that I use the internet a lot for examples. [because I have some leeway in my course design, I'm basically teaching it as Intro to Media Analysis, with writing -- my ostensible topic -- thrown in.]I really want to show them the threads here that some user would recap in the form of lolcat pics. But that's all I know about them -- I don't know who the user was, or which threads, or anything; only that it was pure genius re-mediation.Can anyone point me to the right threads? I sent JoeyJoJo a message, but didn't see any very recent messages by him.Many thanks, and now, back to work. I don't know how Speedz is doing what he's doing in terms of class load and actually having a life. I'm killin' myself here -- read, write papers, sleep, read, write papers, sleep. For fun, I get teach, grade papers, sleep. Fuck my life.

Where have you been SB? Busyness is no excuse. You can't possibly be busier than me. (You could easily be more responsible, however)I think Q (yayqi) might be the user you are seeking.

Hey, all. Question here.I'm a lowly TA teaching English to some hapless teens. Their next paper is on re-mediation, or taking a text from one medium to another: book to movie, graphic novel to Heath Ledger, etc.One thing they like about me is that I use the internet a lot for examples. [because I have some leeway in my course design, I'm basically teaching it as Intro to Media Analysis, with writing -- my ostensible topic -- thrown in.]I really want to show them the threads here that some user would recap in the form of lolcat pics. But that's all I know about them -- I don't know who the user was, or which threads, or anything; only that it was pure genius re-mediation.Can anyone point me to the right threads? I sent JoeyJoJo a message, but didn't see any very recent messages by him.Many thanks, and now, back to work. I don't know how Speedz is doing what he's doing in terms of class load and actually having a life. I'm killin' myself here -- read, write papers, sleep, read, write papers, sleep. For fun, I get teach, grade papers, sleep. Fuck my life.
Qyaqi is the remediator you seek. I don't remember the threads though.
Dont be so jealous and pm me a current addy you big galoot...
I love ya and all, but that doesn't seem like a bright idea for me. I basically live in Northern Orlando now, Lake Mary, FL. Closer toooooo, Daytona, like I care about driving on the beach or racetracks.
Where have you been SB? Busyness is no excuse. You can't possibly be busier than me. (You could easily be more responsible, however)I think Q might be the user you are seeking.
Ah, many thanks. At least now I know who I'm searching for.I've really just been ridiculously busy. This is my first semester in grad school (i.e., for a masters), and one teacher (Shakespeare badass Gary Taylor) wants our class paper, due in a month, to be "publishable" in a scholarly journal. So I'm busting my ass for him, and another prof thinks absolutely nothing of assigning _an entire book_ for one session of a class that meets twice a week. Lit theory class, no less. I like the professor, but I loathe theory and the hellaciously bad writing theorists indulge in.Also, in the next month, while writing that publishable paper, I'll be grading 750 pages of writing by 18-year-olds. Please, someone, come to Florida and kill me in my sleep.I have missed you guys, though.Edit: Ron Mexico, please ignore the line about "come to FL and kill me"
Great story...Im having severe withdrawals from the Reno area these days....Keep me posted when the leaves start turning again next fallI plan on hiking the rail from downtown to your area during the peak next season
We went straight from summer to winter. It was almost 100 last week and now it's been raining non stop for the last few days. I thought my pool was going to overflow today.
Pretty sure it was in the bkice "Fucking Life Tilt" Thread that the lolcat recap was done SB, if that helps. I'm no good at searching though.
Thanks, but unless Ron Mexico is a total ****up, I'll apparently be dead too soon to use it.
I'm sad that wasn't a little bit longer. I assume that Ryan stayed in and Robin was tossed? Also, did Ryan hit another batter that game? Why did he hit Robin?
Not sure why he hit Ventura, but Nolan was notoriously wild. It may have been on purpose - the announcers mention that Ventura had an RBI single off him in his last at-bat - or he may have just been trying to knock him down, or it may have been a total accident. Definitely also worth noting that Ryan was friggin 46-years-old at the time, and retired 2 months later. Here's the box score:http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TE...199308040.shtmlRyan stayed in and pitched 7 innings, didn't hit another batter, and got the win. And yeah, the reason the Sox manager was going crazy at the end was because Ventura was tossed and Ryan wasn't, which is pretty standard. The only reason they would eject Ryan is if they were certain he hit the guy on purpose, or if there had been a previous warning which there wasn't. The headlock and uppercuts are totally acceptable as him defending himself.
Not sure why he hit Ventura, but Nolan was notoriously wild. It may have been on purpose - the announcers mention that Ventura had an RBI single off him in his last at-bat - or he may have just been trying to knock him down, or it may have been a total accident. Definitely also worth noting that Ryan was friggin 46-years-old at the time, and retired 2 months later. Here's the box score:http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TE...199308040.shtmlRyan stayed in and pitched 7 innings, didn't hit another batter, and got the win. And yeah, the reason the Sox manager was going crazy at the end was because Ventura was tossed and Ryan wasn't, which is pretty standard. The only reason they would eject Ryan is if they were certain he hit the guy on purpose, or if there had been a previous warning which there wasn't. The headlock and uppercuts are totally acceptable as him defending himself.
It looks like the inning right before, a Texas guy was HBP. If I'm the ump in that situation, I toss Nolan every time. Also, it's clear he was old, and obviously he was tough, but he wasn't really hurting Ventura with those skull punches.

Yeah he only got 1 good shot to the face, and it didn't seem to leave a mark. Regarding Ryan staying in the game, I think it's possible that umpires back then were more willing to let the players 'police themselves' than they are now, and probably a part of that change was all these young punks like Ventura who wanna charge the mound and start a brawl. So now we have the situation today where a lot of umpires are annoyingly warning-happy.Also though, I'm betting Nolan Ryan in particular got leeway with that. He'd literally been pitching in the majors since the 1960s. The same way if Greg Maddux was 1 inch outside it was still a strike, but if it was a rookie pitching the umpire might, maybe even subconsciously, narrow the strike zone slightly. Nolan was old-school, and I'll bet the umpires couldn't help respecting him for it.Him and Vladimir Guerrero have me rooting for Texas. (If you haven't been watching the playoffs, Ryan is a part-owner and the Team President (whatever that is) of the Rangers, and was there to accept the AL trophy and all that).

Enjoy the stories, SI #2, EG and W/TB. Keep 'em coming faggots.EG our Bears suck. We made need Ron to continue his killing spree and make a visit to Lovie's house. He may be the worst NFL coach eva.

yeah, I haven't talked to gretchen since then. wonder why.
I couldnt say
I love ya and all, but that doesn't seem like a bright idea for me.
I was justa teasin.... I screwed with you too much about you and the moms Vegas trip anyways...wouldnt do it again
We went straight from summer to winter.
I was lucky the last trip and hit the fall colors just right...In other news, as most could probably tell I was slightly inebriated during my previous post. The probable cause of it was various combinations of mixed drinks, beer, and two valiums the doc gave me for emergency freak out on the job use. I wont be doing that again. Taking them with mixed drinks that is. Beer should be fineAnyway, has anyone every drunk posted, passed out, then sorta remembered that you posted something here the next day....triggering a fear of what you might have posted?The SNPA count is only in the mid-single digits now so this one is permanently recorded in the ole noggin

jeff: need a teller?savings/loan owner: you already have your college degree, right? [implication]jeff: yeah, but... [so you mean to say this ten page application was a waste of my time?]

Enjoy the stories, SI #2, EG and W/TB. Keep 'em coming faggots.EG our Bears suck. We made need Ron to continue his killing spree and make a visit to Lovie's house. He may be the worst NFL coach eva.
See: Singletary, Mike