I Called In Sick Today

I have stats through last week. I decided to stop on Monday morning after I got done scoring all the weekend posts and forgot to save the spreadsheet and then when I closed it and Excel asked me if I wanted to save it, I inexplicably clicked "no." I didn't want to go back and do those posts again and I couldn't handle not having complete data, so the project was terminated.
You have a problem.EDIT: Have you been diagnosed with OCD?
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

You have a problem.EDIT: Have you been diagnosed with OCD?
For what it’s worth, even though I’ve played up this side to it, I don’t really enjoy scoring posts. It’s a little tedious and it bothers me that it’s not more objective, even when I’m the one offering the subjective opinion.Anyway, what I really like about the whole project is playing around with the data. A couple people have seen this spreadsheet and it’s a monster. I have brackets that seed and advance automatically. I can seed posters by any particular stat and I get the winners of every match-up. I have a randomness factor in every game that can produce upsets and the frequency of the upsets mirror the frequency of the NCAA tournaments fairly closely. I can run tournament simulations at the push of a button and the spreadsheet tracks every simulation and gives me a summary of all the results (i.e. speedz made the final four 54% of the time and won it all 28% of the time*).It’s a lot of fun for a huge dork like me.*not actual resultsRe: Edit.No, I have not been diagnosed with OCD because I've never had a need to have that sort of thing checked. I do have a lot of very mild characteristics of it though.
I mean, do we have to ask for the story?
Oh no real story. I got a call saying be home by so and so time tonight with some attitude, for some you know... Doesn't matter anyway, apparently I was lame because I was tired when I got home, so I was spite ignored. Yay me.
I have stats through last week. I decided to stop on Monday morning after I got done scoring all the weekend posts and forgot to save the spreadsheet and then when I closed it and Excel asked me if I wanted to save it, I inexplicably clicked "no." I didn't want to go back and do those posts again and I couldn't handle not having complete data, so the project was terminated.
My reaction would have been the exact same. I don't know how many video-games I've quit playing because I forgot to save for an hour before the game froze or I died or the power went out. That feeling of anxiety while you reload the game to see if, by some miracle, it autosaved, followed by impotent frustration..."No way I'm wasting another hour of my life doing that again. I'm just going to beat FFVII again instead." The worst, and arguably formative, experience was the one I had with Battletoads as a youth. I'd finally made it to the last stage. I was going to fucking beat Battletoads. I'd spent countless hours memorizing the obstacles on the hoverbike and surfing stages. I'd made it past those mother****ing crow bastards in the Descent to Hell. I was... seriously going to do it. My friends wouldn't believe me, but I didn't give a damn. Then my mother plugged in an old vaccuum and tripped a fuse. I barely noticed the lights go out in the other room. She went into the basement to flip some switches, and... she turned the power off in the living room. Gone. I cried so hard.Because of the no-saving-no-passwords Battletoads chicken garbage, I'm super-anal about saving, now. In video-games, every single time I think "save" I just pull up the menu and save. If I'm working on some stupid project in Excel, I save copies in three places (hard drive, thumb drive, university hard drive space), and every time I make a significant change to my methodology, I save an entirely new copy. By habit I save once every 5-10 minutes or so. When I'm done, I email it from my google email account to my university email account. It should be noted that I am, by nature, incredibly lazy.
You have a problem.
Nope. Joey's reaction was correct. Added benefit: I can post here again without fear of judgment.
Because of the no-saving-no-passwords Battletoads chicken garbage, I'm super-anal about saving, now. In video-games, every single time I think "save" I just pull up the menu and save. If I'm working on some stupid project in Excel, I save copies in three places (hard drive, thumb drive, university hard drive space), and every time I make a significant change to my methodology, I save an entirely new copy. By habit I save once every 5-10 minutes or so. When I'm done, I email it from my google email account to my university email account.
Ironically (?) it is my habit of always clicking save before closing that got me in this pickle. "Oh silly Microsoft, no, I do not want to save because I have already done so. Repeatedly."*click*"WAIT! Did I save it already?...because I was interrupted earlier..."*zoom in on my face showing Keyser Soze realization**opens spreadsheet again*"Nooooooo!!!!""Fuck this stupid fucking project."
Oh no real story. I got a call saying be home by so and so time tonight with some attitude, for some you know... Doesn't matter anyway, apparently I was lame because I was tired when I got home, so I was spite ignored. Yay me.
:conciliatoryfistbumpface:
Dialogue(Wang's phone starts playing "
")Wang: "Ahoy hoy!"Havarti: "Aaaaaaay what's up?"Wang: "Just watching reruns of 'Bones' and smoking a bean."Havarti: "Really?"Wang: "Well, half of that is true."Havarti: "Ah, that sucks. I'll get you high one of these days."Wang: "What's up?"Havarti: "I just got out of work..."Wang: "Yeah? Wanna grab a drink?"Havarti: "I could use one, but I just want to relax. You got anything at your place?"Wang: "Well, yes."Havarti: "Sweeeeet. I'll be over in a bit."Wang: "Alright."Havarti: "Hey... do you know a Vickie that works up at the B-Dubs?"Wang: "Uh..."Havarti: "Because she kinda grilled me today, asked me if I was seeing you."Wang: "Yeah, I know her."Havarti: "Then when I told you we'd been out a few time she started being all weird."Wang: "How so?"Havarti: "She was all like, 'Listen, he's a good guy, and you shouldn't mess around around with him' then she called me a slut."Wang: (laughs)Havarti: "First off, I'm not a slut. You've been with more people than me, Derek. Second, bitch please. You're not dating him anymore. You don't even know me."Wang: "Yeah, I don't know what that's about. We don't even talk anymore."Havarti: "Alright, well, I'll see you in a bit." So Vickie told Havarti not to see me, so Havarti decided "Now I have to go have sex with him." I'm getting spite-laid tonight.
FYP
Ironically (?) it is my habit of always clicking save before closing that got me in this pickle. "Oh silly Microsoft, no, I do not want to save because I have already done so. Repeatedly."*click*"WAIT! Did I save it already?...because I was interrupted earlier..."*zoom in on my face showing Keyser Soze realization**opens spreadsheet again*"Nooooooo!!!!""Fuck this stupid fucking project."
This post certainly made your 'problem' funnier.Also: Wang has a problem.
A couple people have seen this spreadsheet and it's a monster.
I can attest to this. In fact, the spreadsheet is so monstrous that I basically stole the entire template in order to make an actual NCAA tournament simulator that can be populated with any team from the last 6 years or so. It's a pretty fun little program, and it's almost entirely JoeyJoJo's work, so much so that when I pass it on to people his name appears on the credits page before mine (though he is listed as "JoeyJoJo," and I am simply credited as "The Anonymoose."I've probably learned more from using Joey's work on the OT bracket than I have in my entire 7 years of post-secondary education.
Also: Wang has a problem.
If we have learned one thing, Braveheart, it should be something like: Wang is awesome. People whose "problems" closely mirror mine are awesome by association. JoeyJoJo is also inherently awesome (as opposed to awesome vis a vis some connection to Wang), meaning there's some kind of exponential-awesomeness growth that results from our shared personality trait. Recursive Awesomeness Feedback Loop of Totally Dominant Superiority.

I just bought a 1TB external drive and use it to back up everything worth having on my server. I have it set up to automatically do incremental saves every hour. I also have everything saved to my desktop and all of my music backed up on my laptop. I'm also the same way as you guys re: video games. I quit one of the resident evil games because I lost an hour of progress. My brother once lost all his progress in a game because he saved it repeatedly on the same slot on his PS memory card, so I have been mindful of saving in different slots.these days it's pretty inexcusable to not have save present at any and every point in the game. sure, it opens up the possibility of cheating (chocobo breeding in FFVII, anyone?) but I don't see how it adds any fun to the game to limit save points.

Coming from the media, it only takes one power interruption 1,100 words into a profile piece to make you anal about saving your stories.Literally, after every paragraph, I would hit 'command+S'. Others in the newsroom would have these massive documents and would refuse to save them. Never understood that.

you guys all know you can have office autosave your work every x minutes, right?
can't figure out why you italicized "x" there.I notice these things when I quote posts. don't know why.you people are all aware that you can buy batteries (they are referred to as UPSes in the industry) to last for 30 minutes so a power outage never ****s you, right? I have one on my desktop.. it gives me enough time to get everything shut down.
you guys all know you can have office autosave your work every x minutes, right?
But that doesn't help you when you say, "No, I would not like to save," right?VB, unconsciously?
But that doesn't help you when you say, "No, I would not like to save," right?
actually it does. in word at least, every old save is still within the doc file, but only the latest version is displayed by default. i'm not sure about excel though. the autosave versions can also be set to not be deleted automatically/saved with a different name.
can't figure out why you italicized "x" there.I notice these things when I quote posts. don't know why.you people are all aware that you can buy batteries (they are referred to as UPSes in the industry) to last for 30 minutes so a power outage never ****s you, right? I have one on my desktop.. it gives me enough time to get everything shut down.
because it's right to do so, dammit.i have a UPS on every computer in my home, and another for my modem and wireless router. i can keep surfing the internet/playing poker in a power outage, for a few minutes anyways.
VB, unconsciously?
Apparently unconsciously has both a physiological meaning and a psychological meaning. I always thought subconscious was the term for psychological unconsciousness, but apparently that's not a "real" word. The more you know.
because it's right to do so, dammit.i have a UPS on every computer in my home, and another for my modem and wireless router. i can keep surfing the internet/playing poker in a power outage, for a few minutes anyways.
I have always wondered if I'd still have internet with power out. pretty sure there's a switch outside that needs some juice to function.
I have always wondered if I'd still have internet with power out. pretty sure there's a switch outside that needs some juice to function.
well if the whole city goes out then you're probably SOL, but i've had my house + neighbours out and maintained a connection.
Not every program has that.Plus, I was dealing with people who would occasionally tell me the reason they didn't save very often is because another confirm/rename document box would come up. I chose not to try to delve into the difference between 'save' and 'save-as' with them.
If you set to autosave every x minutes, your most important work will be written at x + (x/3) minutes and your computer will crash at x + (x/2) minutes.
VB, unconsciously?
Apparently unconsciously has both a physiological meaning and a psychological meaning. I always thought subconscious was the term for psychological unconsciousness, but apparently that's not a "real" word. The more you know.
I mean that it's totally automatic and happens mostly outside my awareness. If by psychological unconscious you mean in a Freudian/Jungian way, that's not exactly how I was using it. But in cognitive science it is recognized that most of our cognitive processing goes on outside of awareness. For example, when you hear someone speak you are not aware of the phonological transformations your brain has to make in order to hook up the sounds to the meanings; you basically just experience the meaning.