Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Oh shit, my bad braj, I just think of you as the trust and super complicated shit guy. Didn't even think about you knowing this shit even though you probably no more about it then strat, and that's not a dog at Stratomatic, either.

Hey Strat, so when I quit I'm assuming I'll want to move my 401k to like vanguard or fidelity IRA? I currently don't have any accounts other than my 401k so I'll need to set them up. Do I do that before I attempt a rollover or can I do it at the time? I know dave ramsey always stresses making them do a direct account to account rollover so i don't get hit with (temporary) penalties by receiving a check, is that a thing? I have both traditional and roth 401k dollars to roll over and am not really willing to take the tax hit to roll it all over to roth so I'll need 2 sepearate ira's, yes? I'm also 80% vested in our pension plan which I'm pretty sure they just cash you out if you leave before being fully vested? Do you know anything about that mechanisim and what I can do with that if they just cut me a check?

I don't work as much on the logistics so vet what I'm saying here before implementing.

If you like your plan's fund lineup, by all means, stay there.

You will have to do two IRAs. I like both Fidelity and Schwab right now, $4.95/trade and both have good free ETF lineups.

Each custodian is different. I think E*Trade had me do the account setup and rollover together.

I think Dave is right, if you have a check sent to you personally, there's a mandatory 20% w/h that gets refunded in April of the next year.

I suggest doing the Roth conversion this year before you start earning more. I am betting you'll someday want to do backdoor Roth contributions, and traditional IRA assets make the math less appealing. There are ways around it, but the conversion is simplest/easiest.

Your employer might offer you a lump sum to avoid the administrative BS on your small balance. Each plan is different. Generally speaking, lump sum payouts tend to be juicier right now due to the low interest rates.

Again, double check my info. I just got done with the Retirement module so I really should be more on the ball, but I just don't deal with it on a day to day basis like Suited.

• Like 1

We love you Essay!

Love you too, Dog.

Stray has it down though. You need two accounts. A Roth conversion is another question altogether.

After you pick a new custodian - FIDELITY, for example - find out how they work and get the accounts open. I would get the account open prior to beginning the trustee to trustee transfer, but it's not life or death. Just give tryout employer explicit instructions to make the check out to IRA NAPA DON. Assuming they won't do an electronic transfer of course. Most won't do the way the check is written is important. Long as it is made out to the IRA you are golden, Pony boy.

I'd have to see paperwork for your pension. But just make them give your your options in writing and go from there.

Good night, and good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks, brajes. Some good info in there.

I think I'll just setup a fidelity account with a Roth and conventional and use that for now and look into doing a Roth conversion near year end so I have a better grasp of my situation and am not committing myself to thousands of outflows when I'm out of a job or something.

And I'll make sure to get my pension options in writing so I can consult with my advisors.

Does BC still work with you? Whatever happened to that **** tease?

Who?

Nah, she left 2.5 years ago, for less pay mind you. She used to text me every few months and I responded once and she wanted to meet up but we never did. That was over a year ago maybe? But yeah, I think she was making around 54 at the time here and was about to get a promotion to around 61ish but decided she couldn't stand working for one of our bosses anymore and took a job paying 50k. I was the next logical choice for this new open promotion spot and I was able to go from 50 to 59 and then to 63 last fall. And now to my next job. I should send her a fruit basket for getting out of the way and letting a young player prosper.

• Like 3

strat you do have the memory, and package, of an elephant. My mind is going at 31. Doesn't bode well for my 50s and 60s.

Glad that a player has good feelings at this point. Hate isn't good for the heart or the soul. Miss the days of BC work stories or whatever her name was. We've all settled into a routine. I gave up awhile ago, so I have so little to report these days. When hope is gone the stories go with it.

Nah, no hard feelings. We both share in the blame for any stress I encountered. I would say I never think about her anymore but it's hard to fully expunge her when I can't get to my cubicle without walking by a few pictures of our department that she's in. Really could go for an eternal sunshine of the spotless mind type service, tbqh. Maybe once I get to MPLS she'll fully fade into a distant memory.

The girl I was obsessing about took a marginal pay increase for a role with a pretty low ceiling at another firm. You will recall that she said she didn't date people from work. She met someone at the new place, and had a kid with him. I haven't talked to her in a long time. Looking back on it, I can't believe I was into her as much as I was.

$50k was baller status in that ecosystem. I am sure none of the people I knew in those days have broken through that, assuming they stayed.

When women say they won't date a guy they work with or it's not the right time they just mean you aren't the right guy. Took a long time for all of us to learn that I guess, but they either want you right then or they never will. In my case the never will part always won out.

On a lighter, more delicious note - you mofos on this Greek yogurt train. Oiknos triple zero vanilla has all the flavor I need even with no added sugar. Good protein source and a nice desert. I'm a fan.

• Like 2

you got a spot picked out in the twin cities yet? are we looking at living downtown?

Oh, I couldn't possible afford to live downtown. Not without a bunch roommates anyways. And even then it'd be tough with the dog.

No, I'm going to be living with a buddy in his house in a suburb that's just west of the city. Super cheap, flexible terms, close-ish to work, and a big backyard for Mack. It'll be a good spot to stay while I save up more money for a house and get settled into work.

yeah, that was obvious to everyone but me. I like to think I have a much higher social/emotional IQ now, but... probably don't...

no, you do. it just only applies to situations where your own love and insecurities are NOT involved. happens to us all.

there are enough calories in that yogurt, I may as well just drink a beer.

in fact I believe I will drink a beer now.

Had a KBS today for the first time. It is a great beer.

Also had an Enjoy After 4/20/17, which was an IPA with brett. Worried it would be too funky, but man, it was a pretty nice surprise. Really unique flavor packed into one sip, almost ended up drinking like a saison.

Surprised I didn't chime in back in the day to tell strat that she was just lying about not dating coworkers.

You young bucks are out in this world, making money and making moves.

I'm worried for napa's well being when he find a girl that reciprocates his love and adoration. It better end in marriage and old age death, otherwise it's gonna end in young death, one way or another

Of note, 13 Reasons Why on Netflix was really great

• Like 1

That's one of my biggest fears, Ronnie. That I'll just latch on to the next girl that reciprocates an ounce of affection and be completely destroyed when it ends. Probably due to my external response to those internal concerns.

Gotta ride the ride.

Practice makes perfect. First one may be a train wreck. But you'll realize it didn't kill you, you'll learn and you'll do better on the next one. These things are fact

Think of all the stupid high school kids who tell their parents that they are in love and can't live without x, and how the parent can't know how this feels. Then they move on, rinse, repeat.

You'll try hard and do too much on the first one, but it'll all work out.

Or just start doing anonymous sex in men's bathrooms. I hear MPLS is great for that. Senator Larry Craig comes to mind. Just get a good stall, tap your foot and get a wide base. Head is head

• Like 2

So, this weekend when I was out with my old roommate we were talking about his gf's upcoming birthday party and he goes "ya, GF said that she wouldn't be surprised if FRIEND FROM OUT OF TOWN tries to bang Napa". And I'm just like, I wish you wouldn't have told me that. I'm going to be all up in my head about it and come off as creepy and/or needy now. We used to have a motto of "no expectations" and this goes against everything I thought we stood for.