Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I hear that, Craney. Bosses are the worst!

My grandpas visitation is tonight, funeral in the morning. Hopefully everyone keeps it together. I'm not a fan of outward displays of emotion.

You're about the age I was when I lost my first grandparent. I remember thinking I was lucky from that standpoint.

I'm working on it Ronnie (not dying). I don't think it's quite that dire yet but I'll certainly let you know. Thinking I'll probably go play this weekend. Because what you said and that it seems to be shrinking still.

I think I'm gonna buy Twitter tomorrow. I am sure it's a horrible waste of money. I just have this stupid tendency to bet against common knowledge.

Do you have any go-to research sites, like Seeking Alpha or something similar, that you follow religiously?

I use seeking alpha or motley fool if I need to spin a narrative. I look at Bloomberg news articles (in the terminal, not the site) whenever I actually need to know what drove a big daily move in a stock. Almost everything I do is quant or analyst based, because I don't have the skills to do a deep dive valuation, and at the granular level, I kind of think it's possible to convince yourself of whatever you wanted to believe at the outset.

I did not buy Twitter today. I went with At Home Group (HOME). They IPO'd a while ago, and trading volume has decreased substantially (possible loss of interest), and the valuation looks pretty good. Assuming GNC stays where it is now, I'm probably buying it tomorrow, too. I am just putting a few grand into a screw around account, not following a formal strategy or anything.

I have a bunch of balance sheet screens to weed out financially unhealthy or unprofitable companies, and then just rank the index according to analyst price targets and the implied price based on the five year historical average P/E.

The end result is a list of historically well run companies that are under some kind of threat that's causing them to trade at a lower multiple. Kansas City Southern (KSU) was one, because they get paid in pesos. Gilead still looks cheap, partly because of the legislative risk, partly because they are coming off of a sugar high from curing hep c.

The system has crushed it with a few picks. Dycom (DY), Air Methods (AIRM), Neustar (NSR), and Encore Capital (ECPG) were total unknowns to me, but highly attractive based on fundamentals. On the other hand, I got crushed in stuff like Hanesbrands, AmTrust, Pitney Bowes, and Gilead... so who knows.

I feel really cool riding Florence to work but I'm sure I look like a huge dork.

if 2017 is about anything, it's about everyones feelings being the most important thing in the world and the only way to define someone. so if you feel it, you are it.

• Like 2

Thanks Big D. I am doing very well in life. A lot better than the haters (Ron Mexico) would have thought.

Also, it must be the big 12 tournament because half of Des Moines is in KC. Goddamn iowa state fans.

• Like 1

Can't say I'd be disappointed if TCU wins today.

So, it was determined that we need to increase our EBIT by $2M+ for next year and some of the ideas floated were to not only not fill open positions (or backfill eventual departures) but to also cut some positions and eventually someone mentioned maybe freezing manager bonuses and then they kicked us non-VP's out of the meeting so I don't know what was discussed past that.

So, 95% I'll be sending out resumes and arranging housing in MPLS before the months end.

• Like 2

Well I for one wanted to beat Kansas again. That would have been fun.

It's funny because at my firm, it's the accountants that are privy to all the high level discussions that need numbers context, because nobody else really knows or understands what's going on. I guess it would make sense for that to just be assumed knowledge at your firm.

My ex-roomie is buying a $450k house, and the director is actively looking in the $500-600k range. I'm just watching this shit and becoming increasingly irritated with my bottom line, which should really feel like a win. I had a briefly tense conversation about it with the CEO, and told him that it doesn't feel great to come to work some days, to see the comp disparity. He basically told me to ignore the noise. It was the first time I talked directly and honestly about comp with anyone in upper management.

I don't think I crossed a line or anything, but there were good reasons not to have that conversation, and it felt like a mistake.

I mean, I'll eventually know what they decide on before it's announced because ultimately I have to put it in budget but for the most part they keep us peons out of the overall strategy discussions and then ask me for analysis of stuff as needed.

Hopefully they ask you to analyze the cost/benefit of eliminating your department. That would be funny. Apparently a lady here, some years back, opened her bosses mail while he was out and it was a note from corporate telling him to fire his assistant. She ran screaming out of the bank.

From a pure positional standpoint my job is the obvious cut to our department.

But they'd be incredibly dumb to actually choose to cut me personally over some other people in our department.