I Called In Sick Today

Went to my friends cookout yesterday. Smoked some turkey, it was good. I got there and a girl who last time I saw was when we were making out in her car after she drove me home because I was far too drunk, was there. Apparently she's going to be back home for the next year or so. She was looking good. I think she really liked Mack. Too bad I fell about 3 feet when I was stepping on some pavers to get macks waterbowl and took a step backwards and found the gap between the stacks of pavers and the stairs. Luckily I only ended up scraping my leg up. Could have really ended terribly. Might be something there, but I doubt it. Probably should have at least hinted at getting together sometime but didn't. She might not even be single. I have no idea.

Took Mack to the dog park this morning and let him wear himself out before it started getting really hot. Currently 86 and I'm trying to decide what to go get for food for the next few days.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I drank an ungodly amount of beer while in the pool yesterday.

Did the dog agility training on Saturday. Lola started to get it and crushed it. Bruno is more athletic but a lazy bum

Natural Instinct Dog Training, LLC on Facebook if you're bored and want to see what it is. It's a good hour of activity and socialization for them. Wears them out, makes them think. Our class was near empty so Bruno got some much needed training on not losing his shit on dogs.

Made a sweet ass lasagna from scratch on Saturday. Otherwise, I got nothing.

• Like 2

Been a while Ronnie. Good to see you.

Back at it on a Tuesday, which is better than a Monday but still not great.

I'm going to Wyoming next week to visit a client, so I'll be out three days. Lots o stuff to do to get ready.

Vegas at the end of June. I'm oddly not excited for it. Maybe I will be when it gets closer.

Are you going to Vegas on your own? Because that would be awful.

Are you going to Vegas on your own? Because that would be awful.

No it's for a bachelor party. My buddy from law school. Should be ten guys. I only know the groom though. The rest are friends from back home, so I'll be the lone groomsmen not from their high school.

As an introvert, I understand you not looking forward to that. However, if your lawyer friend isn't an asshat, he will also understand that and go out of his way to include you, sit by you, etc.

I think there was some falling down on the job not clearing the crowd immediately. From the few accounts I've read, the screams of the crowd played a large part in riling the gorilla up. I wonder if they had cleared the spectators that the call to come in might have proved more successful. Also, I don't care if it was the first time in 38 years a kid got through, the fact of the matter is that if there is a hole to exploit, it will be exploited. Viewing privilege is secondary, separation is paramount. I won't lay a large portion of the blame on the parent, but she deserves some. Yes, kids get away from you and you can't watch them every second but if the kid ran out in the street and caused a major accident there would like be some burden put on the parent. I don't see why this is all that different. Bottom line is that there were dozens of things that could cause the event to unfold differently and the ones within the control of the zoo (facilities, protocols, training etc) should absolutely be under heightened scrutiny to find where they could improve. But the fact of the matter is that once the gorilla ignored the call to leave the enclosure, it was only going to play out the one way. Actually, the way it ended was the least bad of the bad options. Kid and or zoo employee(s) could have been seriously hurt or killed before the gorilla was put down.

I won't use this opportunity to debate the benefits/evils of zoos in general. I think that's cheap politics.

I think it's completely standard for the media to cite the fringe people who think the zoo was wrong to put the animal down--creating controversy in a pretty clear cut situation. I would be shocked if polling among people who saw the video came out even close to 25% believing there was some other way to safely resolve the situation.

I hadn't heard anyone mention the clearing the crowd angle. that's a great point.

I first heard of it on the rivals.com message board, and there were quite a few people saying the zoo was wrong to kill the gorilla, that the gorilla was protecting the kid. These people must not have seen the video I saw, because as soon as I saw it I wondered how the gorilla survived that long.

People were saying they should have shot the parents instead, stop interfering with Darwinism, etc.

So maybe it's a fringe, but they annoyed me something awful.

I saw a few examples of papers / outlets citing animal experts with the opinion that the gorilla wasn't acting threateningly. I am sure those people are genuine in those beliefs, but ultimately it comes down to whether you believe someone who has seen the two minute cell phone video can have a meaningful / useful opinion, rather than believing in the years of experience the Cincy staff has with this particular gorilla.

I'm sure you are aware, the other angle is that the video captured only 20% of the incident...

I just hate the media. there's no case here for saving the gorilla--if it had gone the other way, and the boy had gotten his neck snapped, people would be asking why the zoo did not kill the animal sooner.

• Like 1

As one of the few actual parents in this hellhole, I am in full agreement with Hank that while some blame rests on the parent, kids are kids. There isn't a parent on Earth that hasn't had a kid slip out of view for a few seconds. It's just that most of the time, nothing catastrophic happens. The internet is full of awful people making snap judgements with absolutely no information.

I was shocked to hear that the kid was in there with the gorilla for 10 minutes. That memory is gonna be burned in there for awhile.

• Like 1

Yeah that gorilla had to go at that point. It's unfortunate but you gotta go kid over gorilla there. People act as if tranq darts work instantly and wouldn't potentially freak the fvck out of the gorilla resulting in that kid being thrown into the wall or crushed. The parents aren't without fault but probably don't deserve a bullet themselves.

I do not mind their pepper

Uh, that's Cayenne pepper.

Cheyenne is the capital and most populous city of Wyoming. You're thinking of caravan.

They should change Cheyenne's name to caravan because 60% of the houses are mobile.

• Like 4