I Called In Sick Today

Looking at apartments really cements my status as a non-Winner. How do the poors afford housing?

Democrats

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Des Moines, Iowa metro has one of the most favorable income/rent ratios like, anywhere.

I hear Des Moines is blackening up. Is that true?

Compared to the rest of Iowa, yes. Compared to the south, the eastern seaboard or major Midwestern citys? no. It was 8% black in 2000 and 10% black in 2010. 10% black in Iowa makes downstaters think that it's Johannesburg. Truly, my hick sticks relatives from near Amish country are terrified of how "rough" Des Moines is. Omaha has the same effect in Nebraska. I had this over inflated idea of how many blacks lived in omaha, I thought it was around 30-40 percent, the way my dad would go on about it and how shitty and dangerous Omaha was. When I became an adult, and actually drove and hung out in omaha, and saw how limited ( and segregated) the black community was in Omaha, I actually looked up the number. It's 13%. Which, is about 12.9% more than most communties in nebraska. Lincoln has ~4% blacks, and was smaller when I was a kid. When you live in a community with nearly zero black people, the presence of any black people at all, looms far larger in the imagination of scared whites than the actual demographic numbers warrant.

If the comment sections of the local news is to believed a lot of gang violence from Chicago is making its way here. We just had our 20th homicide of the year. I'm not sure where it ranks but it feels like a lot compared to the last few years.

Also, a good chunk of Lincoln's black population are honest to brvy FOB africans, which don't really count. I think Lincoln was a destination city for Sudanese refuges or something. If one of my neighbors wasn't black, I'd honestly go weeks without seeing any black people. My neighbor and her ( white) husband are absolutely the only neighbors I can stand. Dude looks like Rob Ryan ( long white hair and everything) and is like some semi-hippie from Iowa. Not full blown, but not your typical horrible midwesterner. I suspect him of being a pot grower, but I have nothing to back that up other than his hair and black wife.

The Men in Blazers retold a story this week about Leicester City, where they were concerned about African immigrants coming to England because of the various issues in Africa. So they posted a story in news outlets saying how much the city sucked, and it wouldn't really be good for the immigrants. Then all the African people moved there because it was the only city any of them had heard of.

My board game friend recently got engaged. His lady is older and wealthier, lives in a condo in/near Boston. Bought it for 400k during the downturn, and the floor above her just sold for 600k. But they live like an hour apart, so they're going to be buying into this place http://www.whippoorwillwoods-raynham.com/ with some input as to how the house is built. Not a bad gig for him.

When you live in a community with nearly zero black people, the presence of any black people at all, looms far larger in the imagination of scared whites than the actual demographic numbers warrant.

Sure, but the reason for that is when blacks show up, all sorts of crime starts happening that they're responsible for.

It's sort of like living in a rattlesnake-free community and then all of a sudden, there are rattlesnakes. People who remember the Pre Rattlesnake era will remember it fondly and wish the rattlesnakes would just go away.

• Like 2

I'm going to skip over the religious stuff as that's been talked about intensively in the religion forum, and I just don't give much of a shit about it. I will address this, however. I've talked about this before, but it's been a long time, so I'll go over this one more time..

When I was a young and idealistic college student, I wanted to be a therapist. Not a psychiatrist, a clinical psychologist with a practice, seeing patients, helping people. I know it sounds nuts to you now, but I really did want to help people and I thought that would be the best way to do it.

And then I took this class called "Clinical Psychology" Which should have been called "Why not to be a clinical psychologist". There were several things that bothered me, but the biggest thing that bothered me was this: All forms of therapy (and there are several) are basically equally effective. There's no difference in the success rates of any of them ( except for Cognitive Behavioral therapy, which is more effective in cases of Anxiety and phobias and things like that). Some forms of therapy ( Psychoanalysis specifically) are incredibly expensive and require the patient to go several times a week, just to have the same success rate as any other form of therapy. Also, educational levels of the therapist do NOT effect the success rates of therapy. So someone with a social work masters has the same success rates as a Doctor of psychology. The only reason to get a doctorate if you want to be a therapist, is to charge more. For the same success rate. In fact, there were only two things that mattered, in predicting the success of therapy: The initial level of illness of the patient (the less mentally ill you are, the better your chance of therapy working. Therapy is basically useless for serious mental illnesses like Schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder), and the perceived level of empathy the therapist by the patients ( the more empathetic the doctor seems to the patient, the better chance of the therapy being effective). Literally nothing else matters. That was earth shattering to me, that therapy was basically just placebo effect. I did not want my life's work to be selling housewives dumbo's feather. And I really had a problem with charging people more money for a service you didn't even need to be highly trained for, to be effective

Now, I don't have any great problem with people going to therapy, if it makes them happy. Just having a safeplace for people to have someone to talk to, can be cathartic and valuable. I prefer to budge that money on sex workers and take a more visceral catharsis, but to each their own. But I don't think therapy has any sort of scientific validity and it angers me that it drapes itself in pseudo-scientific jargon, to make it seem more valid.

That's not to say I think all of Psychology is mumbo-jumbo. I think there's a bunch of great work going on into research of the brain. I think neuropsychology is valuable, and I think psychiatry saves and improves lives, in a scientifically demonstrable way.

Do you have any regrets now about not continuing along that path given your seeming appreciation of the philosophy "caveat emptor" today?

BigD, what do you do?

Most recent roleplay: I was a powerful UGA booster, while my partner was a student willing to do anything to end the humiliating mediocrity xe was subjected to under the Richt administration. I won't be able to achieve orgasm until the Hairy Dawg costume arrives, but it's a good start.

True story and not a role play. I recently ended things with a gentleman 3 seconds after he told me he didn't know who Marie Curie was.

I have considered living in my brothers camper. If I wasn't concerned about being judged I would seriously just live in the cheapest hovel I could find to save money to buy a house.

How would you handle the running water question? And would you poop at the office?

retirement community? nudist colony? fire island?

Frau's dream retirement community is Fire Island.

I probably wouldn't do it much differently if I could do it over again. there's a younger guy in my department just agonizing over his options. he wants a house, and is running into the same problem I did: nothing around the office in his price range is worth buying (unless you really stretch), and it's all garbage compared to what you can get for $350k+.

http://www.zillow.co...114086875_zpid/

that is the kind of house I'm buying after I've spent a few years in my condo. I bought a vehicle to allow me to save the $100k I'd need to buy and move into a place like that. I could have done it more cheaply, but I'm willing to spend the $100/mo extra to not hate everything.

Why do you want a house?

The camper would be parked on his property and I would simply just go into his house when needed. And I almost exclusively poop at the office as is.

i rarely poop at home anymore either. the weekends are rough.

I want a house because they have a much better shot at being a good long-term investment. condos, at least ones like mine, tend to depreciate over time, unless the neighborhood/area is growing quickly. I also don't think I want to hear upstairs neighbors walking around for the next 10+ years, and I'm sure there will be periods of sharing walls with inconsiderate dumbasses.

attached garage, ability to make as much noise as I want, a bigger grill, etc. etc. I really like my current setup, but do catch myself daydreaming about owning one of the nice houses I see on my drive. I know it'll be expensive as hell, so I am trying to stay long term with my spending decisions.

• Like 2

Colbi...what are you all doing with your Kodi? Do you have any of the pirated cable plugins? What about the movie plugins? I'm not going to get cable when I move.

The one that I bought had gobs of stuff pre-installed that I've been gradually perusing. I've mostly streamed movies so far, but it has live TV add-ons too. The main things I've used so far have been 1channel and Genesis.

The one that I bought had gobs of stuff pre-installed that I've been gradually perusing. I've mostly streamed movies so far, but it has live TV add-ons too. The main things I've used so far have been 1channel and Genesis.

That's a responsive god.

Came into work and my laptop would not power up and I have the last few months of my work saved only on my desktop. Almost had a heart attack until I took out the battery and put it back in and it turned on. Immediately saved everything to the server. And then I remembered I owed the audit manager $50 on a bet we made a month ago. Not the best start to the week.

A fresh pen is nice, the ink flows true and smooth and you feel like what you're writing has meaning, has purpose. I lose my shit when I'm writing and the pen runs out of ink. I can never get back to where I was during the height of my flow.

Beware on condos, the looming prospect of special assessments. Condo law in Chicago is totally a 'thing', its something that any remotely savvy buyer gets neck deep into when purchasing one but I realize the same might not be the case in areas where condos are less common and condo law less jewy.

Understand that in any given condo, there's a very real chance you could get 'voted' into a five figure lump sum expense, due in 180 days.

Be sure to audit their cash reserves and get a general sense of the sort of people who they have on the board/management.

• Like 1