Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Is a balcony worth $60 a month? There's no view. Just a patio to have a grill on and sit.

check the lease carefully. Several complexes around here restrict grills pretty hard either outright prohibiting them are limiting size.

Just finished "Across Atlantic Ice", which is a book on the Solutrean Hypothesis that postulates the North American continent was originally populated by Europeans, who were later subsumed by Orientals but the most meaningful technologies were ours. Its really rigorous, as far as making the case from the vantage of fact. Naturally, this causes volcanic butthurt and as if on cue, a horde of tards have claimed that it has been 'debunked' because of DNA sequenced of a Clovis era child from Montana... yet there's still genetic evidence of European DNA in NA's (Ojibwe, for example), and freak cases like the Windover Bog People.

So the next time a bunch of sniveling injuns whine about Columbus, remind them that he was merely our modern era Macarthur, returning to claim what was rightfully ours all along.

• Like 1

I would not have been able to do it without a roommate when I moved out here. blows my mind that $40-50k/yr is considered average/decent. it can only work if you're ok being permabroke.

That might be a living wage if you supliment it by dancing on the weekends.

Napa, have you considered finding a small plot of land, and just, like, camping on it for a while? It's almost like one giant balcony in a way. I'm going camping tomorrow and am super excited about it.

This place looks pretty nice:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5221-Village-Run-Ave-UNIT-1403-Des-Moines-IA-50317/68182587_zpid/

$20k cheaper than mine, plus an attached garage. you can very likely negotiate down due to the time on the market, but who knows why it hasn't sold. maybe the seller is underwater or unreasonable or something. you know the tax code better than I do, you're probably money ahead vs. renting, assuming you're staying for at least 3-5 years. the pictures are always misleadingly awesome, but I would love it if my place were that nice.

... apologies if you don't live in DM.

Well, I live in west Des Moines and would like to stay in the area. Plus that place is way the fvck away from anywhere worth being which is probably why it's been on the market for so long. There's a few places in west Des Moines that are comparable though.

I probably wouldn't do it much differently if I could do it over again. there's a younger guy in my department just agonizing over his options. he wants a house, and is running into the same problem I did: nothing around the office in his price range is worth buying (unless you really stretch), and it's all garbage compared to what you can get for $350k+.

http://www.zillow.co...114086875_zpid/

that is the kind of house I'm buying after I've spent a few years in my condo. I bought a vehicle to allow me to save the $100k I'd need to buy and move into a place like that. I could have done it more cheaply, but I'm willing to spend the $100/mo extra to not hate everything.

it's kind of crazy to think that my ex-roomie could easily buy that based on his current comp. I think it would cause some upheaval if he did something like that, though--the firm would be forced into some awkward conversations with similarly tenured people who do work that is at least as impactful as his.

I think he is wanting to amass a big non-qual balance, so I don't think he's selling his current home any time soon. but it is interesting to think about the hypothetical shit-storm it would cause if he decided to live ostentatiously.