• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Ocho, for what it's worth, I would seriously look into stained, stamped concrete. Durable, relatively inexpensive and many different looks available.

OK, I'll play.

I can do a lot myself (doesn't mean I will), but I cannot pour concrete. House is a ranch with Craftsman styling. Older kidney shaped pool with your typical rock waterfall with large granite boulders and moss rock.

The more I spend on pool decking, the less I can spend on the whole house remodel.

Here is a piece of art

vladimir-kush-metaphorical-journey-1370160141_org.jpg

Are you in California?

What look are you going for in your remodel? Fading your pool deck elements with a design element on the house so it blends always looks nice. CA has the best residential architecture (and its not even close).

Protip: While you cannot pour concrete (because nobody owns a pump truck), you can save a lot of money by hiring parking lot Mexicans to do the digging and rebar work (that you design), then just hire a pump truck to come in and squirt in in there on a $X/yard basis, then have the Mexicans finish it. WAY cheaper than paying a pro outfit to go from start to finish who is just using that same formula anyway.

(nothing I posted here should be considered an endorsement for that painting you just posted. which is something that a 9 year old ****** would like)

• Like 1

... but the craftsmanship is otherworldly.

Eventually, geneticists will discover that Aspergers Syndrome correlates to Teutonic haplogroups. Even in races that don't look Germanic, Aspergers will surely indicate the presence of distant German genetics. Mark my words. This will be discovered in the future.

The entire 3rd Reich was nothing more than the worlds largest autistic tantrum.

House is a typical 70s ranch. Shit for architecture. We are going to vault ceiling, open up the center. Lap siding ceiling, chefs kitchen. Craftsmans details inside and out.

We have a crappy sun room that I want to open up and combine with the pool area. That is what needs the drainage fix. The pool is 3 feet higher than the house. I assume because they hit boulders and instead of dynamiting out, they brought fill dirt in and built up.

House sucks, but the property is awesome.

I can't say how much its going to cost, because we don't have designs drawn yet. A lot will depend on how high end of finishes we get, how much work I do myself, and how much cheap labor I can get.

I have a electrician that works for $35 an hour. I don't have a good plumber, which sucks. I had a drywall guy, but he's way too flaky for a job of this size, but he was dirt cheap. I can do all the demo, most of the rough in work, framing, etc. I can even do the finish work like flooring, baseboard, moulding etc. I am just not going to do the structural work, main plumbing and electrical.

I have to move a kitchen, redo a full master bath and add 3 bathrooms. Cost breakdown looks something like this

Kitchen 30K

Master Bath 10K

Other Baths 5KX3

Flooring 5K

Then all the other stuff is really unknown depending on labor costs and how high end of materials I buy, what I can find on craigslist, or discount building supply places. Etc.

The way to get the best price on a project is to bid it, find out who is lowest, then tell them you're willing to pay cash and you don't need a receipt if they can match the price of some imaginary 'competitor' who bid 25% less.

The way to get the best price on a project is to bid it, find out who is lowest, then tell them you're willing to pay cash and you don't need a receipt if they can match the price of some imaginary 'competitor' who bid 25% less.

I wouldn't think any GC worth a shit would fall for that.

Plus, there is plenty of history of GCs taking half your money and never coming back or just doing demo and some little shit and never finish the job.

You're not hiring a 'general contractor'.

You are your own 'general contractor', you are hiring a contractor.

How to bid jobs is an art. Its not a matter of 'falling for' anything. Its a matter of, do you want the money or not? If you're flush with other paying jobs, you can afford to be as picky as you please. Those aren't the guys you deal with for very long, since they take themselves right out of contention in the first bid round.

Tradesmen are almost always terrible businessmen. They live ******-rich until the work dries up, then they beg.

You sitting at 2/5? What's the max buyin?

Gotta take $300 of that and get a nice lady

just a crazy 1/2 game, max is 100% of the big stack. i left up 1180. people were giving it away and my big hands held up. left early cause i gotta pack for st louis tomorrow. and gotta get out when up that big cause it could turn at any moment in 1/2.

• Like 4

sounds like at least a year-long process. who is pushing harder for it, you or the wife?

ultimately I am a little jealous that you can put money into your place and presumably get it out someday. I would have at least liked that option.

I figure 9 months. We can compartmentalize some of the work by living in the game room while we do the master, then move the kids into the game room while we do their bedrooms and add bathrooms. Then do the kitchen and center of the house.

It's both of us who want this. We renovated enough to make the house live able. New flooring, lighting, paint moulding and done fixtures. We can't do anymore without a major overhaul, which was always planned.

I would be my own general. I'll definitely get multiple bids. My permitting will be minimal so I need contractors (laborers) who are cool with that.

why not just buy a new house?

Because to buy what we are going to create would cost about a million. Even if we could take our equity and buy a new house our property taxes would double.

EDIT: also we love our property.

A general contractor typical doesn't do any work. They are like middle management. They make 10-30% over what they pay other people to do. They are for people who say, I want this job done you take care of it all. I would be hands on, so I would higher each of the individual laborers and manage them directly.

Because to buy what we are going to create would cost about a million. Even if we could take our equity and buy a new house our property taxes would double.

Funny you say that, we have been watching Property Brothers on DIY channel. They show people a house that has everything on their wish list and it's always about $300k over their budget, then the show them fixed uppers that are cheaper, have a Reno budget and get what they want without going broke

A general contractor typical doesn't do any work. They are like middle management. They make 10-30% over what they pay other people to do. They are for people who say, I want this job done you take care of it all. I would be hands on, so I would higher each of the individual laborers and manage them directly.

Gotcha.

well good luck sir.