• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I just exercised some good restraint. Nephew of client sent me a real condescending email and I lit him up in a response draft, but in the end I deleted the angry text and ignored him entirely and merely reiterated my only request and its importance.

I've been trying to figure something out all day because nobody left any Brvydammed documentation.

I did a custom report a year ago and today had to do it again, but I can't remember how/where I pulled a specific piece of information. After looking for a while, I searched the support forum for the software, and found my post from a year ago asking the same question. There was an answer from support saying it can't be done, but clearly I figured out a way last year (I have the info) but I can't remember how I did it. So I figured it out again (pretty sure it's a different way though, this doesn't seem familiar) and posted in the dead thread for next year, when I ask myself the same thing again.

• Like 3

Staying in Southern Oregon tonight, with great TV options but it's really smokey here from wildfires. And I have a quandary, do I eat at the DQ in the same parking lot where I know there to be a bunch of cute young ladies with a propensity for wearing leggings to work or do I drive a half mile to Chipotle which I really want?

Wait...Chipotle for dinner and DQ for dessert? #winning

Ribs!

I haven't (hadn't) made ribs in about 20 years, so I was wondering how this was going to turn out.

IMG_5040.jpg

It turned out well.

I got a rack of beef ribs and removed the skin on the back side. Rubbed them with brown sugar, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper, maybe some other stuff? I can't remember exactly. Sealed them up in the pouch with some liquid smoke and some worchestershire sauce, and they went into the water bath at 137 degrees for three days. I have never done a cook this long before, and if I do it again, I'll put the bath somewhere else. Even with the lid on the cooler (mostly) I was losing about 2 litres of water in evaporation into my house/kitchen every day, which made it feel noticeably humid. I'd also probably double bag the ribs - I don't think I had a leak (certainly not a major one) but there was still a slight smell of smoke from the bath for days. Or maybe that's from the forest fires. Either way, some tweaks for next time.

IMG_5017.jpg

I checked them after two days, they were noticeably tender, to the point where I really felt I had to support the rack or it would break under its weight. Probably just as good to go at this point.

IMG_5030.jpg

I pulled them for good this evening and tasted the meat like this. It needs some browning, but man, this is going to be good.

IMG_5037.jpg

Onto the grill for a few minutes to sauce them up.

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

Meanwhile I tried the sous-vide corn on the cob recipe that was posted on serious eats the other day. It was pretty great, but honestly, good corn is so good, and I don't know how much the process added.

IMG_5032.jpg

While I waited for the corn water bath to hit 183 degrees, I made coleslaw. Mayo, red wine vinegar, celery seed, mustard powder, salt & pepper, and honey.

IMG_5033.jpg

Whisk, toss with shredded cabbage and carrots, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

IMG_5034.jpg

Served up the "caveman food" to much acclaim from Nick.

IMG_5058.jpg

I was worried about the boy - he doesn't seem to like meat very much - but now I feel better about the whole situation.

Caveman%20Food.gif

• Like 6

through various connections, I was able to get an abridged wish list in front of a sales guy for a distributor in KC. if I play my cards right, I may be able to circumvent the damnable middleman that is the liquor store owner. sadly, this operation I have worked diligently to construct may soon eclipse my liquidity.

=(sum(a1:c1)-min(a1:c1))/2

Oh hey, look at this guy: actually answering someone's excel question.

• Like 2

liquor store back home is ordering 2 cases of Weller 12 for me. we shall see if they can actually get it. guy said he only ordered one bottle for me, and had it in stock. I'm like "why just one?" and he's like "because it's an expensive bottle!" [it's $35]

Haha. How many bottles are in a case? 12?

why don't you open your own liquor store?

Better yet, why not open your own "liquor store" without paying for a commercial space. Just get a license and buy crap wholesale.

That corn looks... I don't know. I'm totally spoiled by Iowa corn. Did you buy it from a grocery store?

Ribs looked great, as did the slaw.

That corn looks... I don't know. I'm totally spoiled by Iowa corn. Did you buy it from a grocery store?

Ribs looked great, as did the slaw.

Thanks. The corn wasn't .... I don't know... sickly, but it wasn't the best I've had this summer. It was good though. I bought it out of the back of a truck parked on the side of the highway with a spray-painted sign that said "Taber Corn"

• Like 1

JLL, I love your cooking posts but 3 days to cook ribs? In water no less?? Buy a smoker man. Guarantee you they would be much better, not to mention done faster.

I didn't have to cook them for three days, that's just when our dining menu allowed us to eat them. I'd love a smoker but no one else in the family would ever eat anything off it; however now that Nick has a taste for it, I may get one. He asked at bedtime when we could have "caveman food" again, then wondered "how did cavemen survive if it took three days to cook dinner?".

• Like 2

Heh, smart kid.

I didn't have to cook them for three days, that's just when our dining menu allowed us to eat them. I'd love a smoker but no one else in the family would ever eat anything off it; however now that Nick has a taste for it, I may get one. He asked at bedtime when we could have "caveman food" again, then wondered "how did cavemen survive if it took three days to cook dinner?".

Get the green egg and post lots of photos.

• Like 1