I Called In Sick Today

I got a promotion(I had to interview against some external candidates) this week to manager of fp&a. Decent base raise + bonus eligibility.

Thanks to brvy for taking a chance on me all those years ago and then even giving me an excellent reference that helped me get that first job. No telling where I’d be today without it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Soooo awesome!  Congrats, NapaDon.  Super proud of you, but well deserved.  I know first hand how smart you are.  Well done.

Merry Christmas at all.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's actually illegal to sell Ham Loaf in Wisconsin.  It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  We stock up on ham loaf every time I'm in Iowa for this awesome ham ball recipe from my mom.

I had an anti-vax co-worker die from COVID this week.  She was a happy mom and grandma the day before Christmas to dead now.  Seems like a silly preventable death and I'm sad about it.  Why would anyone in a high risk group avoid a vaccination?  

Hey uncle Hankey I see you lurking. As prep for this new role I’ve been doing manager tools stuff. The main guy can be a little too rightwing for me sometimes but for the most part it’s been really helpful. 

• Like 2
On 1/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, Napa_Don said:

Hey uncle Hankey I see you lurking. As prep for this new role I’ve been doing manager tools stuff. The main guy can be a little too rightwing for me sometimes but for the most part it’s been really helpful. 

Yeah with a West Point background and a lot of c-level experience he definitely skews right on matters but even when he does his guidance on managing people and your career doesn't seem to be too heavily painted with that view point. Their remote managing guidance was really great as I've transitioned to a remote employee. I don't follow it exactly but that's the beauty of their system, they give you actionable guidance as well as the theory to show how they align. Then you can more readily adapt it to your style/needs. 

Glad you're finding it useful. 

My supervisor, the CIO, says he wants to make me a director by the end of the year. We're meeting soon to discuss the plan. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, Napa_Don said:

He’s a podcast!  You can’t say hi to podcasts?!

Oh.  I read that as him being your boss, not a podcast that Hank recommended.  How's the job?

I just finished my second round of COVID.  It was much better the 2nd time.

Job is OK. Still figuring stuff out. Going through the process of hiring my first (second) direct.  

However, my boss, whom is very good and I really like working for, just put in her two weeks so our dept will shortly be our cfo/coo, me, an entry level hire who’s been here 6 months and a brand new entry level hire.

So, about to get overwhelmed for the foreseeable future as I try to keep the wheels on just day to day and then adjusting to having a brand new boss who is also learning everything about our biz. 

i should have pressed harder on salary negotiations. 

Glad that Covid 2: Electric Boogaloo went fine for you. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so a weird thing is happening to me right now.  #1 my body is breaking down from old age.  My back is messed up, and I have sciatica something fierce.  It's not fun.   

However, the interesting thing is that last night I lost my taste.  I feel fine otherwise, but I can't taste anything.  It's exactly what happened to me when I got COVID the first time.  Here's the thing, I just had COVID like 3 weeks ago.  I can't get it again so soon, can I?  Please tell me I can't get it again so soon!

(I'm getting tested this afternoon)

2 hours ago, brvheart said:

Ok, so a weird thing is happening to me right now.  #1 my body is breaking down from old age.  My back is messed up, and I have sciatica something fierce.  It's not fun.   

However, the interesting thing is that last night I lost my taste.  I feel fine otherwise, but I can't taste anything.  It's exactly what happened to me when I got COVID the first time.  Here's the thing, I just had COVID like 3 weeks ago.  I can't get it again so soon, can I?  Please tell me I can't get it again so soon!

I hope it's nothing but it could be delayed effects from your infection from 3 weeks ago. With Covid unfortunately for many people there isn't a binary sick or not sick and long Covid is real and some of the symptoms of that can show up after you think you are over it.

This article discusses losing taste and smell.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00055-6

• Like 1
22 hours ago, brvheart said:

It’s possible you had a different variant. That’s about the only way I think?  Hope you feel better, brvy. 

On 12/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, brvheart said:

I'm sure I won't get the vaccine right away.  If it's required for international travel I will, but if it's not, then I won't get it.  I love vaccines, but this particular disease isn't worth hassling with for me; much like I never get flu shots, but have always gotten a Tetanus shot.  Of the 2.7 million Americans that have died this year, only 260 thousand have been involving COVID, with like 92% of those being over 70 years old.  Those don't feel like odds I need to be overly concerned about.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, brvheart said:

Nothing to be overly concerned about. 

My taste has returned! 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, hank213 said:

Nothing to be overly concerned about. 

I wasn't concerned, I just didn't think I could get it again so soon, and I was annoyed.  I was negative and my doctor said basically what Bob said, that symptoms could be delayed.

• 3 weeks later...

We might as well get a March post in here.  Miss you guys.  

I went to phx last week with some friends. Ended up having to work about half the time because of how under-staffed we are right now, which was a bummer. Was still fun to get away and into the sun for a few days. We didn’t really go out which was a-ok with me. 

2 hours ago, Napa_Don said:

I went to phx last week with some friends. Ended up having to work about half the time because of how under-staffed we are right now, which was a bummer. Was still fun to get away and into the sun for a few days. We didn’t really go out which was a-ok with me. 

What are these "friends" you speak of.  You have way more friends than I do.  I should have joined a frat.

Speaking of friends, I just found out my best friend in Wisconsin has been cheating on his wife for five years.  I'm also great friends with his wife.  I have been quite depressed since I found out a week ago.  Cheating is the worst.  Just divorce her you piece of crap.  Then you can have all the flings you want.

52 minutes ago, brvheart said:

What are these "friends" you speak of.  You have way more friends than I do.  I should have joined a frat.

yeah, turns out buying my friends was worth it.  

I’m in a group chat with 4 guys around the US that I talk with daily and then my friend group up here that’s 3 of my frat bros and their spouses and then 3 couples that they know from HS/work. The phx trip was 3 couples + me and some combo of the gang gets together at least once a week to have beers or just let the dogs romp or both!  

52 minutes ago, brvheart said:

Speaking of friends, I just found out my best friend in Wisconsin has been cheating on his wife for five years.  I'm also great friends with his wife.  I have been quite depressed since I found out a week ago.  Cheating is the worst.  Just divorce her you piece of crap.  Then you can have all the flings you want.

Yeeeesh. 

• 2 weeks later...