I Called In Sick Today

I have never gotten a flu shot and I won't be getting a COVID shot.  I'm relatively careful and don't think the numbers show it being dangerous.  If it ends up having a 100% success rate or something like the rabies, polio, or measles vaccine then I might get it if they see it coming back.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Hey guys.

I've been following a lot of the Covid discussion and I feel like chiming in but I don't want to if you don't want me to.

I've spent a lot of time reading up and trying to understand what's going on since I have a suppressed immune system and I have close family that are very vulnerable if they were to get it. I also had a lot of time on my hands for a few months there and was bored.

• Like 1

I feel like you don't need to ask.  Napa was reeling in the corner from the constant body blows and he needs someone else on his side.  Go for it.

• Haha 1

When it comes to vaccines the ones that are most likely to be available first like the Oxford vaccine are often variants of existing vaccines that are tweaked for the new virus so if they pass stage 3 testing and approval I certainly won't be concerned about the relative safety.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7198108/coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-trials/

For me because of a drug I take for Colitis that suppresses my immune system I probably shouldn't take a live virus vaccine. Both live virus and dead virus vaccines are being developed. Think of the regular flu vaccine. The injected version that most of us get (except brvy I guess) is a dead virus. The nasal spray that is given more to young kids is a live virus vaccine.

Everybody should get the vaccine to protect other people. The most vulnerable like old people are the ones who vaccines help the least. Older people's immune systems don't react to vaccines in as protective a way as they do in younger people. A concern to not be first is fine, vaccines are not going to be available to everybody quickly anyway.

Don't be surprised if a vaccine requires two doses. Something like you get one shot and then another a month later to get the most protection.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Napa_Don said:

Bob my guy...welcome. 

Pretty much everything that I've seen from Napa I agree with.

I live in a large 36 floor condo in a part of Toronto with a lot of Chinese people. In mid March there was a notice in my door that Toronto Public Health had notified the condo management that a resident had tested positive from foreign travel. This was well before we knew how bad Covid might be or how easily it could be spread and I had no idea if it was my next door neighbour or somebody 20 floors away or if they were in hospital or isolating in the condo. I already had concerns because of my suppressed immune system so after that notice I basically stayed home in isolation for about 10 weeks only leaving to go grocery shopping every two weeks or for doctor's appointments. My concern was possible spread in elevators and common areas of my condo. To my knowledge nobody else who lives here has had it.

We're going to phase 3 reopening here in Toronto as of Friday which means indoor restaurants with lots of spacing, gyms and some other things will be opening up and the maximum size of groups is increasing but they still have to be socially distanced. Mask wearing is required everywhere indoors now. Ontario has 14 million people and we had 76 positive cases on over 27,000 tests yesterday. The city of Toronto with 3 million people (think Chicago) has averaged 10 new positives per day for the last three days and that's why we're now going into stage 3.

Also test results now are getting back to people within 24 hours here which means contact tracing is possible.

What happened in Kingston, Ontario is a good example of what can happen if the numbers of cases are low enough to properly jump on and suppress the virus.

Kingston is a small city of about 140,000 people a 2.5 hour drive East of Toronto. They had no positive cases for a few weeks until there was an outbreak at two nail salons after they were allowed to reopen. Staff had attended a party where they were exposed and the salons didn't follow proper safety procedures and 30 people ended up testing positive. A total of 3,000 people got tested as a result of this so they nipped the outbreak in the bud and Kingston is back to having no cases now.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-kingston-ont-did-right-in-handling-a-covid-19-outbreak-at-two-salons-1.5006079

1 hour ago, FCP Bob said:

Think of the regular flu vaccine. The injected version that most of us get (except brvy I guess) is a dead virus.

I can't be the only one in here that never gets a flu shot.  Most of my circle never gets it.  I would guess less than 25%.

15 minutes ago, brvheart said:

I can't be the only one in here that never gets a flu shot.  Most of my circle never gets it.  I would guess less than 25%.

Everybody I know gets one. They're free and widely available at every pharmacy given by pharmacists. We don't even have to visit the doctor.

But even here less than half of people get the flu shot every year based on the statistics.

YES. I KNEW BOB WOULD BE ON TEAM LETS NOT JUST FLING OPEN THE DOOR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS LETS MAYBE TAKE IT SLOW A BIT 

I also dispute the claim that I was taking body blows as everything Ive recently said is just factually correct and not really debatable. 

however, I am glad bob is on my team to back me up here. 

I’ve gotten a flu shot every year since I started working. My old job would have a bunch of nurses come in and you just sign up for a time. But now it’s just anytime I go to the pharmacy they just ask you if you want one and I’m like eh, sure. Why not. Getting sick sucks as an adult and I’ll take the risk that I’ll grow a third arm in 40 years even if it’s not always the most effective because of strains and stuff. 

Minnesota’s testing results seem to lag about 10 days on their dashboard page although I’m sure some people get it ASAP and others take longer depending on where it’s taken. 

My company is back to full time after furloughing everybody but management this week. Im going to miss having fridays off and short weeks every other week. 

1 hour ago, Napa_Don said:

My company is back to full time after furloughing everybody but management this week. Im going to miss having fridays off and short weeks every other week. 

We are back this week also, although I've been coming in because I've had an entire building to myself for like 5 months.  It's been great.

3 hours ago, InternetExplorer said:

No chance I’m taking a vaccine before it has been tested thoroughly. Like millions of doses and a good cost/benefit understanding. 

that's where i am. and i've never gotten the flu shot either. don't believe in it. 

5 hours ago, SuitedAces21 said:

that's where i am. and i've never gotten the flu shot either. don't believe in it. 

Vaccines are the single most important thing ever in the history of medicine, they've saved more lives than anything else. What's not to believe ?

• Like 2

I'm all about the flu shot. It's just a bet on which strain will be dominant in a given year, among the few they see circulating, is my understanding.

I just am not in an at-risk demographic for covid-19, and the vaccines they're creating for it are breaking a ton of new ground.  I think the risk/reward situation is very different for someone with a weakened/suppressed immune system. Obviously I have no idea what the long-term impact is from having covid-19, which is the other competing concern here.

Like you said, it's not like my stance really matters. I'm not a healthcare worker, and there are many others ahead of me in the priority list, so it will be vetted by the time it is made available to me.  I'm sure we'll have more reliable antibody testing by then, and I'll find out that I had it at some point and didn't know it.

• Like 1

My company let people who are really challenged working from home (e.g. unreliable internet, no place to dedicate to work etc.) to return to the office, only about 60-70 people. Buzz is not to expect any large scale return until after the start of the year.

Yeah, I’m at a higher risk group and figure by the time it gets to me anyways it will have been through all the studies and all the other millions of people who are (rightfully) ahead of me so it probably wont do any immediate harm.

I mean, at worst it’s like just injecting it right into me and you guys say it’s harmless anyways so what’s the risk? (Kidding). 

• Like 1

I don't think my company is going to be forcing anyone to come back in for liability reasons.  I've been on some of the calls talking about the policy, and it all makes sense to me, as much as I'm sure it's murdering productivity to operate this way.

6 hours ago, FCP Bob said:

Vaccines are the single most important thing ever in the history of medicine, they've saved more lives than anything else. What's not to believe ?

the flu shot is not the same as the polio vaccine. i dont believe in the flu shot because its efficacy changes year to year and they admittedly are guessing up front.  so i will not be rushing out to be injected with god knows what to avoid a disease that 99.99999% of people in my age range and health survive. i'll take that chance. anyone who wants to be first in line, though, i tip my cap and say god bless the freedom to choose. after some data emerges then we'll see. 

as i've said on WFH, my company (giant multinational corporation) will be supremely cautious. people may get to go back if they want, but there will be massive rules (temp checks, gloves, masks, etc.) and i'd rather just stay home than deal with that. plus, if i'm there and no one else is, what's the point? i'm planning on being WFH though next spring. by that point i may have lost my mind though, especially if there are no sports all winter. that will be tough on a lot of us. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, FCP Bob said:

Vaccines /= Flu shot

I'm fairly certain no one in the thread is an anti-vaxxer.  Everyone with a brain loves and "believes in" thoroughly vetted vaccines.

Yes.  Yes.  Tomato/ToMAto.

I know that technically it's a vaccine.  I'm saying that guessing a strain of a non-deadly thing is not the same as preventing small pox and leprosy to spread like wildfire through the population killing 50% of the people of any age group or health condition that it touches.

When I'm in an age-group that needs to be worried about the flu, I'm sure I will start getting the shot.  Until then, it's not worth the time.  If for whatever reason, you and Bob have medical conditions that make it more dangerous, I fully understand why you would get it.  I don't think I've been really sick (flu-like symptoms) for 15 years.  I don't think I've thrown up since I've been married, so that's 22 years.

Yeah, I’m not worried about dying from the flu or anything.  But I have gotten the flu before and it’s still annoying to be sick and have to burn PTO. But also, part of the reason to get the shot is so you’re less likely to pass it onto other people who may not be able to get the shot. 

However, the altruism is like 3% of the reason I get it. Convenience being 80%. Hoping to not get sick my self 15%. 2% for the 10% coupon the pharmacy give me to the attached grocery store that I literally have never used because I never get the shot when I’m grocery shopping and I always think ok I’ll just save this for when I am and get the max usage of it and then never do. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2020 at 6:55 PM, InternetExplorer said:

I honestly forgot that we had a florida resident in the thread.

fry_squinting.gif

• Like 2
On 7/27/2020 at 9:31 PM, Ron_Mexico said:

also, Colby will quote your post with some sort of sad gif in three days or less 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2