I Called In Sick Today

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. 

latest?cb=20180304134501

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ron_Mexico said:

150k dead with shutting down.  What would the number be if nothing was shut down?

cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.  Time to move forward and figure it out, and I don’t believe current leadership actually cares about anything but their donors and themselves 

what would the death totals be if instead of locking down the healthy we had put all resources into protecting the nursing homes?  obviously we will never know, but that is what i believe should have been done with our 20/20 hindsight. but i also believe that because the preservation of personal liberty must be paramount. the government shutting down society to the detriment of some (Small business must close but wal mart can be open, etc) is unacceptable to me. let the people decide and protect the weak and elderly. had we done that i think we'd be better off physically and psychologically, but our politicians couldnt wait to grab power and flex those muscles. 

1 hour ago, Theraflu said:

I know you don't believe the reasoning for it, but Florida removed the woman in charge of the Corona data, because she wasn't doing it how they wanted, and she felt like they were suppressing numbers. So, if you believe her, that would constitute pretty ****ing good evidence that they're trying to juice the numbers. Plus, you know, Trump removing the CDC's ability to report the numbers. 

i don't know what to make the of the testing numbers, as reports are conflicting and each side is pointing the finger. i've seen reports that certain labs on certain days reported 100% positive rate on thousands of tests (i looked but couldnt find the tweets where i saw it).  is that true? i have no idea, and i dont really care. i do want to know how many people are in the ICU BECAUSE of the virus and i want to know how many people are dying. and that tells me florida is far superior to new york city, so the brother of the governer of the worst hit place in the world should STFU unless he has actual news to report.  

Trump should have stayed out of it, that's for damn sure. but whether the number is 8000 positive cases or 10,000 or 12,000 isnt that important to me. i want to know what the death numbers are, the age of the people dying, the preexisting health issues of the deceased.  are children dying? are healthy young people dying? 

but, from the data we do have:

image.thumb.png.0acd2ac3b0eb5ba38d132dcc3ff3dbe3.png

that seems to tell the story, and NYC and anyone associated with NYC should seriously shut the hell up about what any other state is doing. 

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Ron_Mexico said:

and yes, twitter and reddit are cesspools of clickbait headlines and misinformation, and people lump that in with “can’t trust the media”. 

Most of those people are just reposting the headlines from the news orgs.

I realize Cuomo gets undeserved good press, which I guess is the crux of your main issues, but no one who paid attention thinks he did anything less than a bad job. I agree that tweet you posted is a very stupid headline, and probably a dumb article. 

I seriously don’t understand the Cuomo love either. Makes no gd sense. 

Also, because it’s been bugging me all day, we don’t exactly just accept 40k deaths from driving every year.  More and more states are passing cell phone bans while driving to cut down deaths. Tons and tons of billboards and campaigns about not driving drunk. Changes in rules for OTR truckers. Increased safety measures in vehicles.   I remember in Iowa they’d always show how many traffic deaths YTD there were on one of the billboards over 235. Hell even in Ames they‘ve spent years, and I assume hundreds of thousands, changing the on/off ramp on 35/hwy 20 because there were so many accidents.  They shut down sections of the interstate in inclement weather. And that’s just for 40k annual deaths!  So, clearly they’re trying to minimize that number as much as possible while keeping a delicate balancel. If we were all only allowed to drive 10 mph deaths would probably go to close to 0, but obviously that’s not long term feasible either. I just hate that talking point as if that’s the number we all settled on as a country to accept and there hasn’t been massive intervention to get it down that level anyways. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Theraflu said:

I realize Cuomo gets undeserved good press, which I guess is the crux of your main issues, but no one who paid attention thinks he did anything less than a bad job. I agree that tweet you posted is a very stupid headline, and probably a dumb article. 

right, but the problem is if the media is being purposefully deceitful then people lose faith in the media, and when masks could (probably likely surely i hope) slow the spread, there are people who say the media is lying again and that hurts us all. which is my main point. 

but my frustration with the media is overflowing right now on so many subjects, but obviously the virus gets top billing becuase it is literally fvcking all our lives. 

2 hours ago, InternetExplorer said:

I honestly forgot that we had a florida resident in the thread.

Well screw you too 

also, Colby will quote your post with some sort of sad gif in three days or less 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ron_Mexico said:

Well screw you too 

also, Colby will quote your post with some sort of sad gif in three days or less 

I think he meant it as a complement, ie, you aren't a generic "Florida man". Please see some Atlanta episode from season 1 for reference. 

21 hours ago, Theraflu said:

I know you don't believe the reasoning for it, but Florida removed the woman in charge of the Corona data, because she wasn't doing it how they wanted, and she felt like they were suppressing numbers. So, if you believe her, that would constitute pretty ****ing good evidence that they're trying to juice the numbers. Plus, you know, Trump removing the CDC's ability to report the numbers. 

I don't initially believe anything anyone says.  However, I am super thankful that I live in a country where that woman can still have a voice and get what she says are correct numbers on her own website:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

22 hours ago, Ron_Mexico said:

150k dead with shutting down.  What would the number be if nothing was shut down?

The argument on the other side would be that it would have been 150k, since the virus was already wide-spread before the shutdown based on anti-body tests.

Science Magazine: 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable

NPR:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/28/863944333/antibody-tests-point-to-lower-death-rate-for-the-coronavirus-than-first-thought

19 hours ago, Napa_Don said:

Also, because it’s been bugging me all day, we don’t exactly just accept 40k deaths from driving every year.  More and more states are passing cell phone bans while driving to cut down deaths. Tons and tons of billboards and campaigns about not driving drunk. Changes in rules for OTR truckers. Increased safety measures in vehicles.   I remember in Iowa they’d always show how many traffic deaths YTD there were on one of the billboards over 235. Hell even in Ames they‘ve spent years, and I assume hundreds of thousands, changing the on/off ramp on 35/hwy 20 because there were so many accidents.  They shut down sections of the interstate in inclement weather. And that’s just for 40k annual deaths!  So, clearly they’re trying to minimize that number as much as possible while keeping a delicate balancel. If we were all only allowed to drive 10 mph deaths would probably go to close to 0, but obviously that’s not long term feasible either. I just hate that talking point as if that’s the number we all settled on as a country to accept and there hasn’t been massive intervention to get it down that level anyways. 

There are hundreds of topics we could move to if you don't like driving.  (Which will go to near-zero anyway once autonomous vehicles are standard)

How about the 88,000 annual deaths related to alcohol?

Just like we are actively working to reduce the risk of COVID and driving and alcohol, we still accept the risks involved with two of those.  But if we talk about opening schools with a population that has near zero issues with the virus then we hate kids and teachers and want people to die.

19 hours ago, InternetExplorer said:

I honestly forgot that we had a florida resident in the thread.

We have two if you count Colby.

7 minutes ago, brvheart said:

The argument on the other side would be that it would have been 150k, since the virus was already wide-spread before the shutdown based on anti-body tests.

Science Magazine: 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable

That entire article is just them basically saying those studies have a lot of potential problems and issues and haven’t been peer reviewed (not that that is infaliable) but that’s hardly a good counter to the real things that really happened and are still ongoing. 

it seems at this point in time testing is basically meaningless in large parts of the country with how long it takes to get results. I think the best thing to monitor in real time is hospital capacity.  

Everything else seems to lag too much to give any real insight on the current state of things.  But it’d be nice to have what those hospital baselines are to have a good idea of what’s really being stretched thin. From what I can find, 60-70% occupancy seems to “normal” for both inpatient and ICU’s and looking at the CDC website there seem to be a number of states with averages well above both of those numbers. Not to mention that fatigue in doctors and nurses is a real thing and we risk burning them out if they have to maintain these levels too long.  

I totally agree that testing is basically meaningless.  

I just also think positives are meaningless in the gen pop, based on the fact that so many people already have it.

I also agree that area specific hospital capacity is important to monitor.  I only have info anecdotally on that.  (I'm friends with a doctor at Mercy that said they are at normal capacity.  An RN friend in Milwaukee says the same thing.  But what about a random area in Florida or Texas?  We need to keep a close eye on all hospitals that serve a certain area and have a plan if the whole area goes over a certain percentage.

This one might be better:  https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/largest-seroprevalence-study-in-us-shows-vast-covid-19-undercount-67762

Seems like a weird belief, where every country that combated this thing successfully was based on testing and isolating infected people.

Taiwan has fewer active cases than the Miami Marlins. 

And brvy, your "I totally agree" lines where you then spout something off with about 25% of Napa's initial intent is infuriating to me, and I'm not a person who has befriended you in real life.

2 hours ago, Theraflu said:

And brvy, your "I totally agree" lines where you then spout something off with about 25% of Napa's initial intent is infuriating to me, and I'm not a person who has befriended you in real life.

I totally agree, he is spot on in his assessments

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Theraflu said:

I totally agree with those 2 specific things he mentioned (testing being basically meaningless and hospital capacity being significantly more important).  Did I not make that clear?  I thought I was making a clear distinction between us when I talked about how I also don't think positive tests are important.  So by my count I agreed with like 67% of what Napa said in his post.  I'm just trying to have a discussion here, not infuriate Bostonians.

3 hours ago, Theraflu said:

Seems like a weird belief, where every country that combated this thing successfully was based on testing and isolating infected people.

Taiwan has fewer active cases than the Miami Marlins. 

Nearly every other country is much much smaller than us in population and land mass, which makes controlling something like a virus much different and much harder.  Luckily the virus isn't something like Ebola that has a significant mortality rate.  Of course if it was killing 30% of the people that got it, people would rightfully be behaving much differently.

Look at these death numbers by age (through July 18th):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

It's not just people under 65 not dying anymore.  Very few people from any age group are dying.  That's good news for all of us.

My kids school just announced they are pulling the return plan and going fully online for the Fall semester.  That's fine with me, I don't care at all either way.  However, in the meeting tonight, one board member said that he was still voting for the original plan because it gave parents the option of sending kids to school or keeping them home.  The board president then said, "But people will make the wrong decision and we can't let that happen so we will decide for them."   

I'm assuming that line will be received very differently depending on your political worldview.

Great news guys!  BigD is going to be back in t-minus 3 days.

I would take that vaccine the Chinese is forcing their military to take right now if I could. 

I mean, probably not that one, but I will be getting a US vetted vaccine ASAP.