I Called In Sick Today

Thanks for the sympathy fellas. It was a rough week. I'm really stressed out from all this stuff plus it's our busy season at work and things are not going smoothly. I'm pretty much resigning myself to the fact that I'm going to need to get an apartment in KS. Blondie's house has zero room for any of my stuff, not even clothes, and I refuse to live all day every day in a sardine can. I figure even if I spend every night at her house I can keep most of my clothes and some furniture at the apartment and just go over there for work. Plus my cats can live there. 

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I'm sure month to month won't be terrible, and maybe there will be extra inventory with people potentially doing school remotely.  Hard to say I guess.

I was thinking about how impossible this election campaign is going to be for all the strategists.  Nobody has a playbook for this. 

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

How do you guys receive this article?  (Especially the people that lean left)

I hate the the country has become about drowning out and silencing dissent.  But i suppose the world has always been like that.

I mean, I don’t know what you’re hoping for me to say?  I don’t have the time or inclination or knowledge to accurately review all of those studies and conflicting studies or to debate that one specifics doctors thoughts on those studies. Like, do you think people on the left want H (the medicine, not heroin) to not work just because trump wanted it to?  Like, Id be ecstatic if it worked. Or aspirin or ibuprofen or any other medicine. But, I am not a doctor or a scientist or anybody in any sort of position of power to tell places to try studies differently, so, I’m just trusting and hoping the FDA or whomever is in the position to do so follows the science.   

I mean, that doc seems to be a higher up at Yale. Maybe he should try to use his connections to speak to people in charge rather then writing an op-Ed in Newsweek?   I just want this shit figured out man, I don’t care who does it or what medicines are used.  

• Like 1

Brvy is convinced COVID is a Democrat hoax that will disappear immediately after the election.    At least that’s his Facebook take

we all want it go away and I don’t know what the answers are.  I do what I can

That being said,  I’m sure the media higher ups  enjoy the chaos of Trump, as it brings eyeballs, and money.  

same with COVID stuff, but I don’t believe legitimate media people are twisting their mustaches, manufacturing outrage so democrats win 

shit, the right had considerably more political power across the country, based on a lot of interesting strategies and power plays. 

but hey, let’s hope it all works out for the greater good of the citizenry and society.  We can’t let FB and Twitter commenters dictate our lives  

20 hours ago, Ron_Mexico said:

Brvy is convinced COVID is a Democrat hoax that will disappear immediately after the election.    At least that’s his Facebook take

I don't think COVID is a hoax.  If it was a hoax, then no medication would be necessary.  I think the overall danger is being overblown for political reasons.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

And while the disease will most likely still be around after the election, I don't believe the hysterical coverage of the virus will.  (For instance, one paper I follow has been posting a BREAKING NEWS headline every single day with the new cases and new deaths.  I'm guessing that will end shortly after a Biden victory.  I mean, how long can you call zero new deaths breaking news?)

Both sides are doing it. Trump was not subtle about pointing out the rate of spreading in specifically the states with dem governors. Biden has repeatedly blasted Trump for handling it poorly. I personally believe that a lot of the criticism at the different levels is informed by info we didn’t have at the time the decisions were made. All BS designed to win votes.

Trump is absolutely to blame for politicizing the masks, and I think he took an appropriate amount of damage in the polls for it. Zero justification for what he said and did for the longest time. That’s the one real world outcome that I support in all of the virus shockwaves. 

• Like 1

What do you expect Biden to do other than point out how he’d handle things vs what Trump is doing?  He doesn’t have any real political power. 

like, according to that cdc link were at 150k deaths (20%) above expected through June (which, probably isn’t even complete but whatever) which is 3-4x the deaths of a typical flu season and that’s with the entire country being basically shut down through that period and we’re at almost double the current active cases than we know of recovered/died. So, even if we stopped all transmissions today and the mortality rate really was this 1% people like to say it is, thats like an additional 30k deaths, or a typical flu season, in the next few weeks.  

I just don’t understand how you can look at what we’ve seen and say it’s not a big deal. Like, yes, we didn’t hit millions of deaths, but we also went into a pretty big lockdown and have had better treatments figured out and gathered more better data so of course it’s not going to be as bad as the original projections but it’s still pretty bad!  

• Like 1

Totally agree it's like a bad bad flu season.  I don't believe it was worth the 30,000,000 jobs and the destruction of the economy, when there are reports saying that with antibody testing they can see it was already widespread throughout the country in February.

That's not to say that I am not empathetic for the lives lost, but we make these decisions every day in lots of ways.  Last year nearly 40,000 people died in car wrecks, but nobody cares enough to destroy the economy and put millions of people out of work over it.

Where is the tipping point?

trump was against masks, but let's not pretend "experts" everywhere weren't saying masks were pointless in march, because they were. i can find you the video of the beloved Fauci saying the masks are pointless for the average person.  

https://twitter.com/LionelMedia/status/1281917908411613188?s=20

https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1282356452716433412?s=20

just scroll through this twitter thread of articles from the media citing "experts" on masks in march. 

from CNN

Ecr20mgXkAANIsl?format=jpg&name=900x900

the fact of the matter is that the virus was always going to spread through the population, all we could do was slow that down, which we did. mistakes were made by everyone involved, but the truth is old and sick people who catch this are going to die. that sucks, but old and sick people are always dying. 

i mean when half the deaths from this thing are in nursing homes you have a very clear picture of who is at risk and what we did wrong. it's why texas, florida, arizona, and california are no where near NYC on death even though cases are exploding. 

time to accept the risk and get back to life. or you can stay inside for the next three years. good luck. 

Ok but just real quick I don’t agree that it’s like a bad bad flu season. I think it’s going to end up being about 10-15x a normal flu season and that’s with all of the intervention. 

And the mask thing...fauci reversed his guidance less than a month later starting in April. And his original comments in context say that the point is that we need to preserve masks for the people who really need it and that wearing masks for infected people is helpful but that wearing a mask might lead to a false sense of security. But again, he changed guidance pretty quickly, which, I would want our leaders and scientists to do when new information comes out so I don’t know why that’s supposed to be some “gotcha” moment. 

• Like 3

Like, I don’t know where the tipping point is but it sure seems like a national effort to wear masks for the next 2 months would stop this shit in its tracks even while opening stuff up as much as you can.

what new information was presented him in that 30 days was valuable enough to change the mind of someone who they tell me has studied infectious diseases all his professional life?  

but my point is not that guidance changed - it obviously changed - my point is the narrative changed drastically, so some people were never going to buy into the new narrative. and trump, being a massive idiot, was going to be one of those people. but we gotta pump the brakes on blaming him for people's non belief with masks, he wasn't the only one saying we don't need masks. 

the issue is all moot becuase we cannot shut down again. we have to push forward, and people will die. but to continue to shut down will cause collateral damage that will exceed the damage of the virus. it's not an option. life must go on. so wear a mask if that will allow things to be open and people to feel better, because we have to be open and we have to move forward. 

It is interesting, I didn’t realize that people here had said masks were not effective. I had heard that studies were done in Asia around the time of SARS to show that it is worth having even cloth masks. It’s crazy to me that we didn’t just learn from their experience. 

I don’t know what his motivations or reasoning were but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt over somebody who doesn’t have his experience or education. 

and places are opening up again. And both red and blue states are also shutting down segments as they see necessary. 

also, to my knowledge, trump hasn’t really came and outright endorsed a national “wear your mask” strategy, about 3.5 months after his own CDC suggested it, save for that one tweet which, brvy says we can’t take what he says on Twitter seriously anyways, so does it really count?  

• Like 1

i hate having to defend trump because he is an idiot, but he is not wrong that the media are all in against him and any conservative. look at this from this morning:

Ed8stFJXoAMLzkU?format=png&name=large

what the hell is this nonsense? CNN should be ashamed to allow this clown on the air. his brother has the worst death total in the world on his hands, and without any evidence he is maligning Florida?  i could go on for the rest of the day with examples of bias.

all that said, trump is a complete joke. but when people lose faith in the truth of what the media is saying then they tune them out. and a lot of people no longer trust the media, and the media did it too themselves. so it is no surprise that a paranoid narcisist like trump isnt backing down on masks and those who love him are riding right along. 

i point this out because the virus is serious, it is deadly to people, and this kind of bullshit does not help. but sadly, our national discourse is long past the point of no return, and everyhting now seems to be about the power to frame a narrative, and catch the other side being bad. i weep for our future. 

But I could just be pissed about this news about the Marlins. I mean we knew this would happen, that’s why they have the taxi squads. We gotta push through and keep playing. 

150k dead with shutting down.  What would the number be if nothing was shut down?

cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.  Time to move forward and figure it out, and I don’t believe current leadership actually cares about anything but their donors and themselves 

I know you don't believe the reasoning for it, but Florida removed the woman in charge of the Corona data, because she wasn't doing it how they wanted, and she felt like they were suppressing numbers. So, if you believe her, that would constitute pretty ****ing good evidence that they're trying to juice the numbers. Plus, you know, Trump removing the CDC's ability to report the numbers. 

I don't know if it still works this way, but a guy I know in Tampa told me, a week or two ago, that you are presumed positive if you visit a hospital in Florida.  So unless you take the test and get a negative, which not everyone does, you're in the number just based on visiting the hospital.  This would at least partly explain the lower mortality numbers, because the actual rate of positive results was like 9% at the time.

Again, just a consultant that lives in Florida, I'm not sure I 100% believe him.

This was the same guy with the story about "girl I've been hanging out with tested positive" etc.

It’s always “I know this person that went to get tested, left, but got a positive in the mail.”

if I see actual data, I’ll believe it, but there never seems to be results letters posted.  Just second hand accounts.   “I heard this one person...”

and yes, twitter and reddit are cesspools of clickbait headlines and misinformation, and people lump that in with “can’t trust the media”.