I Called In Sick Today

1 hour ago, Napa_Don said:

All this talk about needing time get to herd immunity but I saw figures that basically said at the current rate it will be basically 400 days and 1 million deaths before we get to the 70% magic number, that might not even be high enough. 

1 million dead in the USA? I just don’t see how that is possible. The antibody testing and asymptomatic numbers at places like the meat plant here in Missouri tell a different story.

I actually think we’re doing ourselves a disservice if we don’t get herd immunity during the summer. All those who want to stay in should do so, but anyone under 45 and with no known medical conditions needs to face this now. do that, and combine it with better care in nursing homes and we can get through this quicker and I think less painful than if we keep this up. There’s a human cost to losing 20 million jobs too, and we’re going to soon run past a time wheee printing money can save anything. 

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Who all has an Apple Watch?  I got one yesterday.  It's such a waste of money but I think this will help tremendously in quantifying things.  I always felt (and have been vindicated thus far I think) that the iPhone pedometer is a little inaccurate.

Yeah we're not going to have a vaccine before people decide to disregard the social distancing guidelines.  I think there is an economic tipping point somewhere as well, I just don't know exactly the point of no return is with the money printing.  I don't want to see that tested.

I still think it was worth locking down to get a better grip on what it would have meant to let this run wild, but I still see this as a test run for the real thing.  Eventually there will be one that kills younger people, and that's where you really need governments to have planning, equipment, etc. in place to keep things from getting bad.  The whole Bill Gates TED talk clip, about how this is a relatively small investment compared to the economic cost, etc.

• Like 1

We had to lock down in March because we did not yet know what we were dealing with. I agree with that 90%. But we have enough data now to know how to move forward and to talk lockdown of all ages is not it.

the problem i see is we are so stupid as a nation, so we will not really learn from this. And if there is a virus in ten years that can kill anyone that gets it within days we’ll be ****ed, and Tens millions will die. People don’t trust the government and the government gives them no good reason to do so. Sad all the way around, but common sense is not found in Washington, on either side of the aisle. 

I have an Apple Watch. I basically only put it in when I’m working out anymore though. Don’t really see the point of it when I’m never leaving my house. 

1 hour ago, Napa_Don said:

I have an Apple Watch. I basically only put it in when I’m working out anymore though. Don’t really see the point of it when I’m never leaving my house. 

I'm doing a daily HIIT app now, in addition to the walking.  It murders me but burns like 100 calories supposedly.  I'm still trying to find the right balance, stuff I can do for 30-40 minutes daily without risking injury.  Two hours of walking daily isn't going to work long-term, but that's about how much I need during my loss period.

Which one do you use?  I like the HASFit people for when I feel like doing some HIIT but want to mix it up. I’ve been doing a lot of sets of going up and down my stairs lately. 

im down 26 lbs from mid March with minimal exercise and just eating better food, not even really worrying about portion size or calories. My goal is to lose another 26 lbs before having to re-enter society. 

• Like 4

stratego, if you want to lose weight, get a stationary bike. i ride mine 45 minutes a night. Burns 450-500 calories if the thing is to be believed. but whatever the total, it is serious calorie burning. and i can watch tv while i do it. finally got my weight down to 159. it was tough but i made it, 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Napa_Don said:

Im down 26 lbs from mid March with minimal exercise and just eating better food,

WOW!  Nice job, Naps.  Keep it going!

2 hours ago, Napa_Don said:

Which one do you use?  I like the HASFit people for when I feel like doing some HIIT but want to mix it up. I’ve been doing a lot of sets of going up and down my stairs lately. 

im down 26 lbs from mid March with minimal exercise and just eating better food, not even really worrying about portion size or calories. My goal is to lose another 26 lbs before having to re-enter society. 

didnt see this before. nice work brotato. 

• Haha 1

SA, how tall are you?

Napa, that’s awesome to hear. I am using the app Seven, it’s $60/year and I’m on the fence about paying that. Sometimes a financial investment keeps me engaged, so I almost want a paid one for that reason. 

Are you looking at roadbikes or stationary?  

I would just get a stationary off craigslist and then if you find yourself using it a lot then spend money on a nicer one if you need to. Although with the current situation it might be difficult to find one. But if you’re getting a road bike I’d spend some money on a nice inside pedal trainer thing so you can use it as a stationary bike, too. 

stationary bike is the way to go im telling you. 

i'm 5 foot 11 inches, or just under that. my relatives have all asked me if i have an eating disorder. 

Yeah, I'm looking at stationary because I want a weather-proof routine.  It doesn't take up a whole lot of space, eliminates any excuses for not doing it daily.  I like the idea of one with live classes, which you don't have to spend a bunch of money to do if you just pair an ipad with a standard bike. But I like luxury things now, so...

• Haha 1

day 55 of house arrest. I’m looking at luxury watches now, thinking get one now while money still has some value. That way I’ll look good when I arrive on time for the breadlines. 

• Haha 1

I've bought from this site before.  Omega has some good models in your price range, if you buy from the gray market.

https://watchesofmayfair.com/brand/omega/de-ville-collection/omega-de-ville-prestige-co-axial-39-5-mm-424-13-40-20-03-001

I was given this exact advice before I bought my first watch, and I disregarded to go buy from an authorized dealer anyway.  Regrets.

What stationary are you looking at, Strat?  I assume peloton and nordictrak at least?

i just don’t know if I could sign myself up to be locked into their classes even if I could justify spending the $2-5k or whatever it costs for one. 

Made a run for some home office supplies and other miscellany today. Even in a pandemic Target has some great scenery. Not as many college chicks as usual but the gap was filled by ladies who aren't stuck at the office and younger milfs who could leave the kid with dad while he's stuck at home too. 

--edit

Yoga pants seem to be even more popular now than pre-covid. 

hank, you are correct, sir. i go target at least once a day, most days twice (out of sheer bordeom) and the scenery is lovely right now. it's sustaining me during these difficult times.