I Called In Sick Today

I ended up in two "poker clubs" that were hosting tourneys at least once a day. One in the $40-75 range, one in the mostly $10 range that my more casual friends play in. The guy running the cheap one set up a whole WPT style earning system as a "league." He's putting way too much time and effort into it, but everyone else is having a good time. These guys are almost uniformly mediocre, and whenever I've gotten to a final table with chips to play, I really beat the shit out of everyone. It's comical. I make my mistakes early, cuz jesus having patience in a $10 game with a bunch of people playing tightass isn't fun, but god damn do I love short handed poker late in a tournament. The most embarrasing was heads up, I'm down like 20k to 80k, and I just hammer the guy for a ****ing hour, without doubling up once, and manage to flip the 80/20.  I called him down with jack high once, and ace/king high three other times. He had no idea what to do, and just folded into oblivion. I can't play my weekly indoor soccer game, so this is the only competition I'm getting, and I have to lean into it. 

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Grilling out, beautiful day. 90% lean beef, 1/3rd pound burgers. So you could say the diet is going great.

I am at 178 as of this morning. Been killing it with the additional exercise, averaging five miles per day. If I keep it up, I’m going to hit 165 on my timeline or a little earlier. Starting to buy clothes here and there but holding off on any nice pants/shorts.

Talking to this girl on OKCupid who is probably insane, but she’s really cute and seems smart. Been slow going, but I’m getting way better at this.

A female friend told me I needed to get new glasses. I got these based on feedback. I liked the try-on a lot, the process was super easy. It has been a LONG time since I bought new frames.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men/chase/jet-black-matte

• Like 1

Nice glasses. I picked up a new pair at the end of the year because I needed to spend some FSA money, and went in a different direction than I normally would since I was just getting them to be extra. They're quite chromy, but I think I got more compliments on them than anything else I've ever purchased. https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men/graham/polished-silver

I just got my eye prescription with the hope of finding a nice 70’s oversized pair of like gold frames but haven’t had any luck. Just really lean into this dirtbag look with my long hair. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Theraflu said:

Nice glasses. I picked up a new pair at the end of the year because I needed to spend some FSA money, and went in a different direction than I normally would since I was just getting them to be extra. They're quite chromy, but I think I got more compliments on them than anything else I've ever purchased. https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men/graham/polished-silver

I like those. I am going to get a second pair at some point, and those are now in the running. I like the navy ones too.

Napa I don’t think I agree with your plan.

Did I mention I am growing my hair out? I have all these overdue appearance changes, things that maybe aren’t out of line per se, but certainly aren’t helping with dating. My buddy’s wife, who has zero tact, ripped into my photos and pointed a bunch of it out, which was actually very helpful. 

• Like 1

hmmm. I think I disagree with your disagreement

I am excited to see you grow your hair out though. You should try one of those new “regrow your hair” companies and let me know how it works so I can keep that in the back pocket if I need. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:09 PM, Napa_Don said:

I just got my eye prescription with the hope of finding a nice 70’s oversized pair of like gold frames but haven’t had any luck. Just really lean into this dirtbag look with my long hair. 

Are you thinking

christmasChales+reilly

or more like

17157d6d7cf3adffdd1e6a459282b158--prada-

perhaps something from the vanderbilt collection?

350?cb=20120909234627

• Like 1

well no wonder, I was in entirely the wrong decade Waco was in '93...aren't those simply aviator frames?

Yeah, i think so. My eye doctor didn’t have any frames big enough for my big dumb head though. And I looked online some and didn’t see any I liked that weren’t also way to expensive for what is mostly a joke. I might need to revisit this though. 

I should probably be wearing some trifocle glasses for assisted long distance and close up vision. Honestly the only obstacle is that I have zero taste when it comes to picking the right frames for my face so I just refuse to accept that I need them. 

I don’t even really need them. My right eye is bad but my left eye compensates enough so my vision is fine. The only time it affects me is when I’m trying to target shoot, which isn’t often. 

I went with the blue light option too, because even though I don't entirely trust it, $50 for potentially saving my eyes seemed reasonable. 

I'm not sleeping better, but that's due to other factors. I do think I have less eye strain, but that's a tough thing to quantify.

It was like $50 total with lenses after a promo code I found. I even sprung for the highest level of blue blocking they had and added the water resistant coating.

I’ll probably get some actual decent looking glasses if I find myself wearing these a lot. 

I recently picked up some reading glasses, so I guess I'll be dead soon.

They put ‘Contagion’ on HBO streaming. Good movie. I think they underplayed they rioting angle because If there was actually a pandemic where millions were dying and food ran out the rioting and killing would get pretty bad. 

the corona is nothing compared to the virus in the movie was my point. If there was a virus killing children and otherwise healthy young people at a high clip it would be pure chaos. Corona is not that. 

Except now they’re seeing lots of children with unexplained illnesses in NY and shit. Which really puts a damper on opening schools and daycare and shit if it turns out to be something. 

1 hour ago, Essay21 said:

the corona is nothing compared to the virus in the movie was my point. If there was a virus killing children and otherwise healthy young people at a high clip it would be pure chaos. Corona is not that. 

I watched it on like day 2 of shit getting real in the US, and it freaked me out a little. The mortality rate obviously isn't nearly as high, but the rest of the qualities seem pretty similar, especially for a work of pure fiction. We're up to almost 1.2M cases in the US, probably hitting 70k deaths after today. And that's just the confirmed number. It's a lot! And with many places opening up on days that they literally have the highest number of new cases/deaths, it doesn't seem like this is going away any time real soon. 

All this talk about needing time get to herd immunity but I saw figures that basically said at the current rate it will be basically 400 days and 1 million deaths before we get to the 70% magic number, that might not even be high enough.