I Called In Sick Today

It was in the first minute of our standing 1:1. Let me explain how my boss handles 1:1s. If she is busy, she attempts to cancel—happens about 70% of the time. If we do happen to meet, she makes it apparent that, if the conversation drifts to a topic beyond the next week, or anything outside of work, she is too busy to be talking. 

Nobody at our organization has any idea how to run a 1:1. I’m not saying manager tools is the end-all-be-all, there are a lot of ways to do it based on the number of direct reports etc., but the above behavior is nobody’s recommendation. It’s just toxic. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Yep you just confirmed it, that's just a shitty manager/executive.

I agree M-T isn't the only game in town. M-T is great because it gives a solid, actionable starting framework for those who really are swamped or new etc. The other great thing is that by giving you the reasoning behind each action they're taking you can intelligently modify for what works in your org to make the incremental changes toward being more effective. It's rare to find the combination of theory and actionable guidance in the business theory world imho. 

On the advice of someone who knows better about what’s happening behind the scenes, I went minimal conflict. The #2 in the firm just filled the air and I didn’t interject. 

The thing is, my performance review was published to me yesterday night at like 9PM, and it was the most brutal take on what are totally minor issues. Like questioning my core values alignment relative to comments such as “sometimes checks out in meetings to work on his phone.” Some items were historical, ie someone in my contributing feedback was regurgitating talking points on something that happened years ago. Some stuff was so blatantly off the mark that I got the impression it was all thrown together roughly in the probably 30 minutes my boss worked on it, Sunday night.

The feeling I’m getting is that I was a fool to think the year end process would resolve anything.

M-T would have a lot to say about catching up on email in a meeting but given how shitty the overall climate is in your firm I don't think meetings would be particularly effective nor would I suspect that you could actually decline the meeting invites for those where you are just intended to fill a seat. Therefore I won't provide any additional feedback on that front. 

• Like 1

No, I totally agree that it is distracting at best to be checked out in meetings. I was drowning in work, but also forced to attend two weekly hour long meetings that don’t apply to me, so naturally I used the time to catch up on my inbox. The preferred answer seems to be to pretend to be engaged and work longer hours. Yikes. 

I’m forced to attend meetings quite regularly that have no application to my job. In fact, one meeting recently, about syncing ones Linked In profile to the company promotional team, they announced up front in the meeting only sales associates are eligible for this so if you want to but are anyone else you cannot. I said aloud, in front of the market president, then why do I have to be here? This market president personally told me to attend every meeting of this kind, that it was important. So I got out my phone and never looked up from it again. 

fvckin sales people have no idea which way the wind blows. The inmates are certainly running the asylum. 

RATM and RTJ are playing the Saturday of Boston Calling. Rage is pretty much the only band I never got to see that I really wanted to. RTJ as the 2nd act is perfect. But then....there's zero artists after that that I had ever heard of. And...its $150+fees for a single day ticket. I was pretty committed to going when they were announced, but this is pretty steep. 

I was toying with the idea of going to one of the festivals they're playing but I'm opting for the waiting game and hoping they eventually announce a full N.A. tour. I can't think of a more appropriate climate in which they should tour. 

I got to see them late 90s on a co-headline tour with FNM. Which is another band I'm hoping will announce a full N.A. tour since they are also playing some festivals this year. 

Fantomas and Mr Bungle, the two other projects I'm even remotely familiar with, are tough listens for me too. But I have really grown to love FNM over the last decade or so. I think they truly were ahead of their time. With Patton it is definitely a thin line between genius and madness musically speaking lol

I’ve got tickets for Sturgill Simpson/Tyler Childers, Dessa (local artist), and then Chris Stapleton at Wrigley so far this year. 

I have a buddy who wants me to go to Widespread Panic with him if they play Red Rocks but we’ll see about that one. 

I have made it a resolution this year to go to more concerts. Going to see Korn in a couple weeks mainly for nostalgia factor. I remember I was doing a 'roadie for a dig' gig in missouri for a megadeth show. This band no one had heard of called Korn was the opening act. They came out and played Blind and me and one of my guitarist buddies looked at each other and said "these guys are going to be ****ing huge." I enjoyed their first 3 albums so we'll see how they do. 

The week after that I"m going to Kiss with DLR as the opener. Again, mostly nostalgia purposes. Kiss was the first band I was really a fan of back in my childhood. 

Other those the only other show I'm going to for sure is The Black Crowes. I kinda want to go to the crue, def leppard, poison show. I've hear poison and leppard are actually pretty good live. crue is what it is. Joan Jett is also a good live performer. I don't know if I'll find one that fits with other summer activities though. 

Kinda kicking myself for not going to slayer's final run last year.

I went to a Wailin' Jenny's concert on Saturday.  It was decent bluegrass.  Trampled by Turtles was better live.