I Called In Sick Today

On 10/24/2019 at 7:50 PM, Theraflu said:

It takes place in the same world as the movie. 

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that it's a sequel to the graphic novel.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Theraflu said:

Those aren't necessarily different things. 

From what I understand, the film departed from the book with regard to the ending. I'm not sure though. I only watched the movie once when it came out, and I'm currently about halfway through the book.

Yes, while the villain's end goal was basically the same in both universes, the means to achieve that goal differed greatly between the movie and the GN. 

SPOILERS

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

In the GN the Veidt labs create a creature and let it loose in NYC to kill a bunch of people. Ozymandias does this to pull the USSR and US from the brink of nuclear exchange to unite the world against the "interdimensional attackers." 

In the movie, Ozymandias detonates a bunch of reactors and mimics the radiation signature of Dr. Manhattan who has already begun to paint as villainous by making it seem like Dr. M. gave a bunch of his friends cancer and tried to cover it up. The death of millions unite the world against their "true enemy" Dr. M. 

-edit

I think ep 2 further confirms the GN plot universe over the movie plot universe. I know "Nothing ever ends" is a direct quote of Dr. M to Ozy at the end of the GN but it's been a while since I've watched the movie, I suppose it could be in there as well. 

I tried to read a little on the watchmen subreddit and it was pure graphic novel people, spoiling the shit out of everything. It’s sad, Reddit is like a 20-30% enjoyment boost for shows. 

Guy from leadership comes to my office today for a random pep talk. I wrote a short, blunt self-appraisal that made it clear that I’m not going to keep plugging away without tangible effort from the firm to groom me for leadership. Everyone is aware that I broke it off with my girlfriend, and that I have no family or anything keeping me in this town. I imagine it is obvious at this point that I’m not sticking around for much longer. 

Anyway, the guy who came to my office to fawn over me, is probably the most responsible for my derailment up to this point (other than me). He has a “yes” man he is pushing for the COO seat, and he kept me off his team in favor of that guy. 

Anyway, he made some vague promises about maybe putting me on his team temporarily, told me how much my work is appreciated, yadda yadda. We’ve been having some version of this fake conversation for the last two years, while he puts all of his efforts behind the scenes into keeping me where I am in the company. It actually ruined my day, to have to sit there and pretend to be thankful for the empty gesture. 

Just let me finish the projects, update my resume accordingly, and I’ll be gone in like five minutes. It’s fine. 

• Like 1

Strat, 

If you had a check list of job duties for your role and check list of job duties for your direct supervisor's role (what's that title btw?) how close are you to being able to say you're doing 100% of your duties, including any temporary special projects that come your way, as well as 50% of the duties that your boss is responsible for? 

My boss is the CFO, but there’s a COO too, who is basically checked out and caused this power vacuum. I would have liked the COO job, but there are several people fighting for it, and all of them have leverage over me. It may not even exist after the COO retires in a few years, because we restructured and gave some of the COO responsibilities to others. 

My boss is one of the people fighting for the COO job. She doesn’t want it per se, but she wants to have it reporting up to her, rather than being a spot on leadership, because she doesn’t want anyone at the table that can challenge her on the numbers. 

It’s layer upon layer of BS. I wish it were simply about capability, because I’d be in a great spot right now. Right now, it’s just a bunch of senior people clawing territory away from me, slowly trying to transition me to a pure technical role. I have said that point blank to the CEO, but he’s basically not interested in sitting down to straighten out the situation—either tell me I’m not COO material, or tell the others to back off. What I get from the CEO is pretty much lip service, momentary interest with no action behind it, just trying to string me along for a few more years. 

As I write all this out, thinking about how much I’m doing for these ungrateful douchebags right now, I am just stirring myself up worse. I am converting our two biggest software solutions simultaneously, with no one directly responsible/accountable for helping me with all the ancillary task work: the cleanup, the reconciliation, etc. I’m doing it all basically by myself, delegating what I can with code. Assuming I have time and focus for coding, which I usually do not these days. 

It’s just a bunch of senior people watching over my shoulder, trying to figure out how to outmaneuver me for the different elements after the dust has settled. I just gotta make it to 2020, and then this awful situation converts to a bad memory. 

You should leave.  Start applying in KC.  I might be able to get you an interview in DSM if you are interested.

23 hours ago, InternetExplorer said:

RIA space?  I'm going to be best off getting a job in wealth management at a small-ish firm (up to 50-100 employees).

Do you have the necessary series licenses?  63? 7? etc.  You would know better than I what you need.  I have connections to a few companies that I could reach out to.

What do you want in life though?  Is it your goal to be someplace that you can move up in title?  Is that more important than pay?  What if you were doing something more flexible with good pay, but it wasn't in wealth management?

He wants to be the goddamned COO. Have you not been paying attention??? Jeez.

Strat please re-listen to the solutions to a stalled technical career cast a few more times. Learn it. Know it. Live it. I felt like you were making great progress and then the frustrations took over and you shit the bed. 

12 hours ago, hank213 said:

He wants to be the goddamned COO. Have you not been paying attention??? Jeez.

Strat please re-listen to the solutions to a stalled technical career cast a few more times. Learn it. Know it. Live it. I felt like you were making great progress and then the frustrations took over and you shit the bed. 

We will see what happens. Pretty sure I’m moving up to director at the end of this year, and may get some kind of a small equity grant. I am not sure about the latter, but the former has been heavily telegraphed. 

• Like 1

Part of the reason I am venting so much lately is that this stuff may already be decided behind the scenes, just not yet communicated to me. I have set expectations with the people who are involved in the call, so at this point I’m not sure it helps my case to continue to chirp about it. I just have to wait 60 days or so. I am in such a good position going into 2020 to replicate what I have here, elsewhere. Just a matter of talking to a firm in the right place, and selling them on what I can do to upgrade their back/middle office. 

• Like 2

Why would a company, whose sole purpose is to bring communities of people together, think that it's a good idea to remove the names of who is liking stuff?  Those people are not good at their jobs.  Even with the best case scenario being that it's just a setting that needs to be changed, why would they default it to "You have to guess"?

• Like 2

Saw The Interrupters on Monday night, for all you punk/ska folk out there. Fun show; always feels good to mix it up in the pit a little bit.

Heading to LA area next week with the family to visit my sister-in-law, for her son's first birthday. Leaving Wednesday night, coming back Tuesday. Should be a fun trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have much to report. I dated a girl for around one month but it has ended as it usually does, with her mad at me. The phrase “I feel scammed” was used by her and so that was the end of that. 

lost a little more weight. Down 50 pounds now, but still some to go before we look how we wanna look. 

• Like 2