I Called In Sick Today

Grocery store was wiped out of milk and bread. I chalked it up to Labor Day until I remembered about the hurricane. I don’t understand why there would be this behavior so far north.

Still pretty miserable. Got super drunk last night and the night before, but I’m laying off tonight because I have a discussion with the c-suite tomorrow about my path. Planning to figure out the talk track tonight.

I just generally need to stop drinking alone, and lose the weight I’ve been fretting about for years. My habits have just gradually gotten worse these last several months, and hopefully the breakup marks the end of that.

I recommend getting a personal trainer. Focusing your pain into physical activity is much healthier than solo drinking, and a trainer will keep you accountable at times when you don't feel like working out.

• Like 2
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Your report for the Des Moines Verses South Florida Real Feel August Statistical Analysis for 2019

On average, over the course of August 2019, Des Moines had an average temperature of 81.48 degrees. It had an average real feel of 85.19 degrees. It's gap between actual temperature, and it's real feel was on average 3.71 degrees.

On average, over the course of August 2019, Brownsville had an average temperature of 89.42 degrees, an average real feel of 101.19 degrees. It's gap between actual temperature and it's real feel was on average 11.77 degrees.

Over the course of August 2019, Brownsville was, on average, 7.94 degrees warmer in actual temperature than Des Moines. Brownsville was, on average, 16 degrees warmer in real feel than Des Moines. The gap between the actual temperature and the real feel was, on average, 8.06 degrees greater for Brownsville than it was for Des Moines.

Conclusion: Because of the fact that the higher the humidity is, the greater the gap between actual temperature and real feel will be, and given that Brownsville was, on average, both hotter in actual temp than Des Moines, hotter in real feal than Des Moines, and the gap between the two was on average larger than Des Moines, we are forced to conclude that for August 2019, Brownsville was indeed significantly hotter and more humid than Des Moines. Some interesting things to note from the data: over the course of August there were 3 dates where the real feel was actually less than the actual temperature in Des Moines, and 5 others were the Real feel and actual temperature were identical. There were no days when the gap between the two were greater than 9. Conversely, for Brownsville there were only three dates where the gap between real feel and actual temperature was less than 10 degrees, and on those three days, the gap was 9 degrees.

As the researchers will concede, this August was an unseasonably cool one for Iowa, and perhaps 2019 will prove to be a statistical aberration, and in the years to come the data will correct itself and we will perhaps come to discover that it is Iowa that is, on average, hotter and more humid than South Florida. However, for 2019, at least, we can comfortably say that Brvy can indeed suck a dick.

The researchers are also proud to note, there was absolutely no Fritzing during this month, and every single day was cataloged.

• Like 5

It's considerably hotter in SoFL than it is in Iowa. Who could've known

No one could have known. It's impossible to know. The only thing we know for sure is that global warming is at fault.

Well you've definitely missed the boat on that, because according to An Inconvenient Truth, if we don't do something about global warming immediately, all hope will be lost by 2008.

The climate is definitely experiencing changes, and the rate of change appears out of line with what can be seen happening historically, but it’s like trying to write a daily market headline. Why did the majority of people sell today? Who can really say, given how many factors are at work?

People work so hard to oversimplify it in one direction or another, and the net impact seems to be that we drift further apart and become less interested in hearing anything that contradicts whatever we wanted to believe coming in. All highly frustrating to me.

The thing is, if you look at the numbers in terms of the economic sacrifice to bring emissions down, it’s US/China/India shouldering most of the load. I naturally tend to think business has an obligation to bend over backward to prove it isn’t harming anyone else, but for the above fact alone, I don’t pay too much attention to research coming from countries that stand to hurt less if we all opt into costly structural changes.

I’m just hoping that science will get to a point where we can economically regulate the composition of the atmosphere. Regardless of whether this is man made, there will be periods of cooling and heating—volcanoes and what have you. It’d be nice if that didn’t wreck the coastal cities and upend commerce.

• Like 2

But yeah, I told someone at work that I had read that the global ocean level went up >1mm because of a heat wave over Greenland last year, and the guy got PISSED at me, as if I had made some argument about the causes of climate change. Everything has gotten so much more toxic compared to even a decade ago.

• Like 1

Where in the US would be prime real estate in the global warming scenario? I know that there is property in the middle of nowhere Canada, seaside, that will be phenomenal if the climate warms up a bit.

Some areas of Colorado on the eastern slope where wildfires are less of a threat (Denver metro area) but still high enough altitude to remain on the cooler side. Upper midwest and great lakes region: good northern parallel for remaining cooler and large underground aquifer and/or bodies of water. Maine, coastline but enough altitude to not be completely flooded out with rising sea levels. Alaska for many of the same reasons.

The climate is definitely experiencing changes, and the rate of change appears out of line with what can be seen happening historically, but it's like trying to write a daily market headline. Why did the majority of people sell today? Who can really say, given how many factors are at work?

People work so hard to oversimplify it in one direction or another, and the net impact seems to be that we drift further apart and become less interested in hearing anything that contradicts whatever we wanted to believe coming in. All highly frustrating to me.

The thing is, if you look at the numbers in terms of the economic sacrifice to bring emissions down, it's US/China/India shouldering most of the load. I naturally tend to think business has an obligation to bend over backward to prove it isn't harming anyone else, but for the above fact alone, I don't pay too much attention to research coming from countries that stand to hurt less if we all opt into costly structural changes.

I'm just hoping that science will get to a point where we can economically regulate the composition of the atmosphere. Regardless of whether this is man made, there will be periods of cooling and heating—volcanoes and what have you. It'd be nice if that didn't wreck the coastal cities and upend commerce.

I agree with all of this. And while I am part of the problem, I'm 100% sold on environmental laws and zero pollution. I love the idea of electric cars and solar panels and I am pumped the world is headed in that direction.

But I will never forget VB in some random thread talking about how the absolute most that man could effect the climate was less than 6%, accompanied with data. I want us to do whatever we can, but I have no patience for the sky is falling bs of the climate crazies. Only a few million years ago the temp was 25 degrees Celsius higher than now with way higher CO2 levels and life is still here.

we're probably already ****ed

Do you actually believe this? Like, by saying "probably ****ed" are you meaning that you believe that all life will cease to exist because we didn't cut emissions enough 10 years ago?

Or what do you specifically mean by "probably ****ed"?

What do you think we could have done that would have fixed the problem?

Can it be fixed now? If you became president tomorrow, what would you do to fix the problem? (Especially in light of how little control we have over the worst polluters on Earth in China, India, and the other SE Asian countries)

*Disclamer: This is only going to be said incorrectly, and for that I apologize, Thera. You're a good dude and I'm not trying to be a jerk by asking these questions.

Some areas of Colorado on the eastern slope where wildfires are less of a threat (Denver metro area) but still high enough altitude to remain on the cooler side. Upper midwest and great lakes region: good northern parallel for remaining cooler and large underground aquifer and/or bodies of water. Maine, coastline but enough altitude to not be completely flooded out with rising sea levels. Alaska for many of the same reasons.

Colorado land feels like it would be expensive. Upper midwest feels like the right answer, but I like the idea of high ground in Maine.

Strat, are you still listening to Dave Ramsey? I've started listening to him pretty regularly. I like his show.

Colorado land feels like it would be expensive. Upper midwest feels like the right answer, but I like the idea of high ground in Maine.

Strat, are you still listening to Dave Ramsey? I've started listening to him pretty regularly. I like his show.

Yeah, CO real estate is bonkers. I imagine upstate NY would be to some degree as well but, outside of that, would also be a good spot.

Yeah, CO real estate is bonkers.

Do you know what it's running per acre in the mountains west of Denver?

My uncle lives about 45 minutes straight west of Golden, across from Golden Gate Canyon state park. His place has to be worth so much, but he doesn't give any kind of a **** about it. He's going to die up there, he doesn't care what it's worth. He moved up there in the 70's when land was cheap, because he's a crazy mountain man and wanted to live away from people. He's bitter that he has neighbors now.

• Like 2

My parents listen to him, so I sometimes had to listen to him in the past. I think he gives advice that is usually not wrong as a substitute for doing a real data gather, and he’s kind of an ass to callers sometimes.

I don’t know if I mentioned before, he makes his money by selling his referrals. For example, if a person calls wanting tax advice, depending on which zip codes you pay the monthly fee for, that referral could go to you based on where the caller lives. Same goes with wealth management prospects.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy or anything. Graded on a curve against the rest of the industry, he’s an angel. I’m just used to the CFP model.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with unimproved property, just what a good friend of mine has told me about trying to find some land out there to build a new shop and/or the reason he's not selling his house until he's ready to relocate out of state. The only first hand experience I have is selling my grandpa's run down property in north denver. was on the market less than a day with multiple offers around half a mil for what was essentially a complete gut job (new landscape, roof, interior walls/floors, and some potential water damage/mold). It was either going to go back on the market for 1.1-1.2m or the winner bidder was going to live in it, he wasn't sure.

I didn’t intend for this to be a Thera bashing sesh. The climate is changing and our way of life nudges temperatures in the direction they seem to be headed. It’s not stupid to see that and draw the conclusion. I have no idea what the right answer is, I just know that there are practical reasons beyond “it threatens big oil” keeping us from making big concessions to the rest of the world, so I see it all as moot.

I talked to a firm in Denver a week or two ago. Unbelievable, how expensive it would have been to make that move. I might still do it in a few months, because that firm wipes the floor with mine, but I am not going to enjoy paying 75% more for housing while my likely salary would be flat to down.

only technological advances will stop global warming, and we’re 20 to 25 years from having what we need be available to all and be accepted as the universal course of action.

having my surgery tomorrow morning. i know i’ll see you all again, this side or the other.

• Like 3

Humans in groups are reactive, not proactive. Nothing of substance will be done about the environment, until the effects are catastrophic and its far too late to change directions. I don't put much faith in Positivism and the hope that miraculous science is going to last minute bail us out. I think it's possible that human life will survive the pure environmental effect that we're going to have, but I think the social/political instability it's going to cause is another story. For example, when all the glacial run off from the Himalayas has melted away, and billions no longer have access to fresh water, what is going to be the result? When rising sea levels displace billions, what will be the effects? I think I'll likely be dead before the ball really starts rolling on this stuff, or close enough too it I won't exactly be running from eternity's embrace, but I can't imagine having children and grandchildren and not being worried as shit for them and what the world is going to be like in 50+ years.

• Like 2

Good luck Essay.

BigD explained my opinions pretty well. Humanity just barely surviving as "natural" disasters destroy the world seems like a pretty low bar to say "Gore was wrong!" As Stratty says,it can't be just be this country. The majority of the world watching a fifth of the Amazon burn felt pretty dire.

Probably at least tangentially related: They're moving the capital of Indonesia, because parts of Jakarta are sinking 10 inches a year!

having my surgery tomorrow morning. i know i'll see you all again, this side or the other.

Good luck, friend.