I Called In Sick Today

Awesome realization I just had. For the past few months, one of the recurring problems in my data was sourced to someone pasting header labels over the first line of the data.

In what fcking world can you do that and not think it will cause problems somewhere? Worse, this was an accountant, someone who uses Excel daily and understands the materiality of the task at hand.

Wow.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I haven’t watched a game in years. I do think Boston fans are spoiled, while the Blues had never won a cup. I would have been so pumped, years ago.

Going to crush some sous vide top sirloin tomorrow. Weather is going to be great for grilling over the weekend as well. I’m totally converted over to the side of toasting burger buns in a pan with a little butter.

I honestly don’t know if I’d want to work for SA’s employer. I like the culture at firms like mine, as bad as the experience has gotten. It’s just super hard to network your way in, because none of the smaller firms have any idea what they’re doing, what they need, etc.

I still haven’t totally committed to job searching. I took on a bunch of additional responsibility recently and I am waiting to see if they are going to recognize that. And when I say “wait and see,” I don’t mean wait until December. I will escalate with my manager if it goes another few weeks. Been asking for a bigger role in the firm since December and it’s now mid-June. They do not appear to be trying.

We got a ping pong table, and I have been murdering people lately. Smashed the CEO particularly hard last week. Maybe that’s why I’m not getting moved up the ladder.

Ping pong at work would be great because I love ping pong and I like my chances against any random at work but I would for sure get sweaty and gross wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

Also, 100% am not going easy on anybody. I probably wouldn’t talk my shit when I beat the CEO but I for sure am not laying up.

I honestly don't know if I'd want to work for SA's employer. I like the culture at firms like mine, as bad as the experience has gotten. It's just super hard to network your way in, because none of the smaller firms have any idea what they're doing, what they need, etc.

the culture at the big corporation is exhausting, but it has its rewards for those of not looking to take any chances while we make good money for the next 40 years.

My boss, the CFO, has been angling to try to have the COO and all ops reporting up to her since as long as I can remember. It has been announced that I am running all the software projects, but she is trying to edge me out of the leadership role. You know, relegate me to the technical stuff, leave the strategic thinking to her.

Anyway, she came with me to this software conference to I guess continue to build her foothold, but skipped the best day for networking. The next day, she went around setting up demos with vendors, and I guess that’s going to be her justification for why she had to come on the trip. If she tries to go forward with any of that, I’m going to take my project plan to the CEO and point out that I’m being blatantly stepped on.

In one of the sessions, they sat her at the executive table, which she made sure to tell me about. I laughed and told her that I have had the best success with the #2 or #3... the #1 is usually not aware of what happens on the ground, or too smart to talk about the secret sauce. Anyway, I spent this morning documenting stuff I learned from talking to a #3 at a big competitor, and sent it off to a subset of our leadership team, excluding my boss of course, so if the conference comes up in leadership, the rest of the room knows more than she does.

This post kinda sounds like I enjoy these political battles. It’s stressful and I don’t want to do it, but I have been asking for more work, and now that I have carved out a role, my boss is actively trying to take it from me with antics like this conference. It’s a pretty direct attempt to put a ceiling on me for her benefit, disguised as mentoring. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I ever had a good manager at this place.

Friday before leaving work I sent each of my directs a meeting invite with an attachment which was a single page "review" and requested that they read before leaving or over the week in order to formulate questions etc. The review has 2 sections. Top section identified 2-4 strengths where they were performing above basic and 2-4 opportunities for areas where I would like to see growth. Basic, 1 sentence observations. Now it should be mentioned that the opportunities weren't 100% things they were doing poorly, some of them were areas completely new to them where I think they could do well or add value. The bottom section was 6 headline areas with a brief, documented assessment of their performance. Things like basic job duties, initiative, building relationships/peer development etc. The bottom section focused on results and the behaviors, good or bad, that led to said result.

All in all, I think it went pretty well especially after considering they have never had this kind of annual review with documented feedback on our team before. Bumped into the CIO/Managing Director after and he had me give him a debrief. He generally liked my approach and the idea that my direct reports and I would refer to this document periodically through out the year when setting goals or providing feedback was a big plus for him. My low performer actually told me "I just want to be done. I want out of this job." I know he had been looking for a UX/developer type job, for which is woefully under-qualified, but to say that to your boss is probably one of the dumbest things I've witnessed first hand in terms of managing one's own career. So now the ball is moving to accommodate his wishes and as soon as we get someone trained on 1 process he owns it's bye bye time.

Also during the debrief with the CIO/MD he asked if I had received my merit increase yet. When I said I hadn't he said if I had any questions to come see him after "We gotta do something with you." That's not ominous or anything. So I kinda bugged my direct supervisor about it and he gave me the number (8%) and said it was all the CIO/MD because he didn't realize he could go above the standard 3%. Working directly and so often with the CIO/MD has really paid some dividends because in our company to get that kind of raise outside of getting a promotion is incredibly rare. Usually that kind of number requires a promotion to get approved up the chain.

• Like 3

I unironicly love yacht rock but I don’t know any artists so hit me with some so I can keep an eye out for them when I’m out record shopping so I become even more insufferable.

Way to go Uncle Hank!

Can’t remember my last update about the possible new job but I wouldn’t actually be managing anybody for 2-3 years, if at all. Which is fine with me. I don’t want to do all the HR stuff required. Had a HR phone screener last Friday and now an in-person this Friday (1 hour with the CFO and COO), granted I already had like a 2 hour interview with the CFO for my old job and he worked with me for a year so he knows what’s up but 1 hour still seems pretty short so I think I like my chances. Salary would be at least a 12% bump + bonus of up to 20% (with employees averaging around receiving 15%) so not chump change. I don’t know how I could turn that down if they do make an offer.

• Like 3

I defy you to name a more iconic saxophone riff in popular music.

Saxophone is the worst musical instrument.

With that out of the way, this would be up there for familiar sax riffs...

• Like 1