I Called In Sick Today

I deeply regret getting into operations.

If I were a higher level accountant, there would be a revenue stream somewhere, or an easy comparable to use in a compensation study somewhere.

If I had stuck with investments, a lot of the same could be said.

Operations means dramatically different things from firm to firm. Usually it is taken to mean, manager of service administrators, something along those lines. Most firms, the highest ranking operations person is a middle aged service admin with no technical ability, who has been with the place since day 1 as the founder’s admin. I have yet to meet a COO at a firm like ours who is acquainted with data analysis, automation, and process improvement, which is all I do, and is a lot more impactful to the bottom line, albeit indirectly.

I’m still pissed about how the last few years have gone, but not as apt to say and do unwise things at the drop of a hat. I will be a fantastic COO for some firm, someday. I just wish it could have worked with this firm. I really felt like my stuff made a difference, but it seems like people just don’t value what I’ve been told to work on.

I spent a good hour or two just looking at firms in KC the other day. I need to just start applying more persistently. No reason to feel married to this situation anymore, now that the progression has come to a screeching halt.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

my cable and internet are out. trucks out front with an excavator, so i made my way to the hollywood. up a buck sixty in an hour. pretty bad game though, weak tight players.

strat, keep an eye on my bank. we are expanding and operations has made a power grab. a lady who used to be my assistant, who has no business being in her position, is now managing 15 people in our office. and basically telling me what to do. you’d crush this moron. plus there should be a portfolio manager role open soon too.

my cable and internet are out. trucks out front with an excavator, so i made my way to the hollywood. up a buck sixty in an hour. pretty bad game though, weak tight players.

strat, keep an eye on my bank. we are expanding and operations has made a power grab. a lady who used to be my assistant, who has no business being in her position, is now managing 15 people in our office. and basically telling me what to do. you'd crush this moron. plus there should be a portfolio manager role open soon too.

Would a CFP work for the PM role?

I don’t know how I feel about belts with patterns on them but I know I am thrilled Strat is spending money on them.

Meeting with my old CFO this week for lunch. The more I think about it, the more I think I have to take the job, assuming there’s an offer and it’s not ludicrously low. The commute would be worse but I waste so much time doing nothing at home, what’s another 15-30 minutes in the car?

In other news...a college friend texted me Thursday asking if I’d be interested in possibly becoming the accountant for their family operation. Apparently his dad used to do all the books but he’s in bad shape health wise and the accountant they hired, they don’t really like. He says he’s been working for months on putting together the proposal but with his brother but I guess his brothers wife put a kabosh on that so now he’s looking for an accountant he trusts. It’d be 20-30 hours a week but I could work remote and it’d be in the high five figures. Have a call with him later this week for him to layout all the details and for me to ask questions and the like.

I’d put the manager job at 20% likelihood and this at like 5% but if I somehow got them both the Kid would be pulling in some serious coin.

• Like 1

Would a CFP work for the PM role?

yessir. we got two CFPs and one CFA. you could do it without either with all our resources, but having it puts you in a good spot.

I don't know how I feel about belts with patterns on them but I know I am thrilled Strat is spending money on them.

Meeting with my old CFO this week for lunch. The more I think about it, the more I think I have to take the job, assuming there's an offer and it's not ludicrously low. The commute would be worse but I waste so much time doing nothing at home, what's another 15-30 minutes in the car?

In other news...a college friend texted me Thursday asking if I'd be interested in possibly becoming the accountant for their family operation. Apparently his dad used to do all the books but he's in bad shape health wise and the accountant they hired, they don't really like. He says he's been working for months on putting together the proposal but with his brother but I guess his brothers wife put a kabosh on that so now he's looking for an accountant he trusts. It'd be 20-30 hours a week but I could work remote and it'd be in the high five figures. Have a call with him later this week for him to layout all the details and for me to ask questions and the like.

I'd put the manager job at 20% likelihood and this at like 5% but if I somehow got them both the Kid would be pulling in some serious coin.

You could listen to the M-T podcasts on your commute. Start with one on ones.followed closely by rolling out the trinity.

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

• Like 3

They currently pay their accountant $75k and he mentioned taking on 2 or 3 other llc’s to put it around $100k+.

But, again, this is like 5% chance of happening.

They currently pay their accountant $75k and he mentioned taking on 2 or 3 other llc’s to put it around $100k+.

But, again, this is like 5% chance of happening.

And you think you can do that and your regular full time job? Wowzers. You’d be balling, but have a heart attack/nervous breakdown in less than two years.

• Like 1

If you can do that 20 hours a week, why not quit your job and just do that? You quality of life would be tremendous and if you got bored, you could get an advanced degree or something.

• Like 1

And you think you can do that and your regular full time job? Wowzers. You’d be balling, but have a heart attack/nervous breakdown in less than two years.

Like that’s not already going to happen. Might as well be able to throw a dope funeral party for my friends.

It’ll suck but it’ll get easier and the money will help.

If you can do that 20 hours a week, why not quit your job and just do that? You quality of life would be tremendous and if you got bored, you could get an advanced degree or something.

Because I like having health insurance and stuff and also I’m just to risk averse to put all my eggs in this one basket, at least not until I’m in a much better spot financially. The dream would be to make a bunch of money for 3-4 years, meanwhile learning more about taxes and the like, adding a few more clients, and then quitting my day job and doing this “full time” as I fly back and forth between my lake house and the cities (in this dream I get my pilots license and can afford a membership to a flying club).

Also, it’s more likely than not this doesn’t go anywhere, anyways.

Awesome realization I just had. For the past few months, one of the recurring problems in my data was sourced to someone pasting header labels over the first line of the data.

In what fcking world can you do that and not think it will cause problems somewhere? Worse, this was an accountant, someone who uses Excel daily and understands the materiality of the task at hand.

Sorry I haven't been around. I've been super busy, and will continue to be super busy until July 2nd.

Love you guys.

Does having the title start the clock on getting the full amount somewhere else?

Absolutely it does.

• Like 1

Got tickets for How Did This Get Made at the end of July. It probably won't live up to a live taping of how to advance in corporate America, but it should be fun.

Game 7 on Wednesday for us beleaguered Boston sports fans. Things are tough.

I don't know how I feel about belts with patterns on them but I know I am thrilled Strat is spending money on them.

Meeting with my old CFO this week for lunch. The more I think about it, the more I think I have to take the job, assuming there's an offer and it's not ludicrously low. The commute would be worse but I waste so much time doing nothing at home, what's another 15-30 minutes in the car?

In other news...a college friend texted me Thursday asking if I'd be interested in possibly becoming the accountant for their family operation. Apparently his dad used to do all the books but he's in bad shape health wise and the accountant they hired, they don't really like. He says he's been working for months on putting together the proposal but with his brother but I guess his brothers wife put a kabosh on that so now he's looking for an accountant he trusts. It'd be 20-30 hours a week but I could work remote and it'd be in the high five figures. Have a call with him later this week for him to layout all the details and for me to ask questions and the like.

I'd put the manager job at 20% likelihood and this at like 5% but if I somehow got them both the Kid would be pulling in some serious coin.

That would be such a great use of 20-30 hours a week. Wow. I hope this works out perfectly. I'll be so happy.

yessir. we got two CFPs and one CFA. you could do it without either with all our resources, but having it puts you in a good spot.

Don't toy with our emotions like this, Suited. You better be going all in to get Strat hired.

Don't toy with our emotions like this, Suited. You better be going all in to get Strat hired.

Given that all Essay's underlings are now his bosses, I don't think an essay endorsement is what you're looking for.

• Like 2

Given that all Essay's underlings are now his bosses, I don't think an essay endorsement is what you're looking for.

Now if Essay can get Strat in with pops, then you might have something. SA, setup a bourbon tasting with your dad and strat. Let's get some networking done, they don't call it the good ol' boy system for nothin.

I was listening to a cast that talked about the history of the annual performance review and, after 100% handling this year's reviews for my directs for the first time, I may not have lived through some of their premises I couldn't agree more with their conclusion that most organizations suck at annual performance reviews.