I Called In Sick Today

Camping seems awful. I don’t like bugs, sleeping on the ground, crapping in a hole or anything else. I like ac, Kitchens, toilets and doors

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Camping seems awful. I don't like bugs, sleeping on the ground, crapping in a hole or anything else. I like ac, Kitchens, toilets and doors

I agree, I outgrew that a while ago, but it was fun as a kid.

Girlfriend would not be coming with me. She is sticking with this town due to family, which has always been a problem for long-term planning because I've been open about the possibility of moving wherever it takes to get paid.

Camping seems awful. I don't like bugs, sleeping on the ground, crapping in a hole or anything else. I like ac, Kitchens, toilets and doors

I hate heat and bugs, that's why I hardly ever go camping in the summer. Prime camping time is late September through October, because it's chilly at night and no bugs. I will also go camping in late Spring, but you will more often than not be fighting the rain. As it turns out, I love sleeping in a tent in the rain, it just makes other things a little more tricky.

I wish Shake was still here to back Napa and I up on all of this.

• Like 2

Herman Miller is having a sale right now, and I'm still agonizing over wanting the Eames chair. I don't have the best accompanying furniture, and I'm for sure going to move again in the next few years... it's just so stupid that I'm stuck on this chair.

https://store.hermanmiller.com/living/lounge-chairs-and-ottomans/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/5667.html?lang=en_US

There has got to be some ratio of chair to home value that this violates. My ratio would probably be comparable to the Queen's.

I was the one who linked that Oslo chair and I really like it. However, I see nothing wrong with Max betting on something that you'd spend so much time in and get so much use out of. If you keep the Miller in good condition, it's not likely to lose value and probably will increase so it's not like you're getting your money on fire.

It's not like this is an impulse buy, you still really want it after months and months. Unless you get off on denying yourself pleasures, I can't think of a reason not to pull the trigger on this.

• Like 1

You’re an inspiration, Strat. Out here buying a real eames lounger like it’s nothing. I can’t even talk myself into getting a plycraft version off of CL for <$1,000.

You're an inspiration, Strat. Out here buying a real eames lounger like it's nothing. I can't even talk myself into getting a plycraft version off of CL for <$1,000.

I have a long night and most of tomorrow to stew on whether I got screwed in the leadership meeting today. I was talking to someone about the situation today, not on leadership but higher up than me, who apparently has a lot of the same complaints, so at least I know my boss' voice wasn't alone in calling out the douchebag behavior. If she was even inclined to call it out, who knows.

I'd rather it all just work out so I can buy my gd chair and focus on all these miserable projects for the rest of the year. Literally all they have to do is leave a good thing alone.

• Like 1

Apparently the CEO questioned whether I should be leading the project and got shouted down. I am just piecing together what I heard from a few people in the room, so I don't really know, but I'm going to assume the chair is off.

Herman Miller is having a sale right now, and I'm still agonizing over wanting the Eames chair. I don't have the best accompanying furniture, and I'm for sure going to move again in the next few years... it's just so stupid that I'm stuck on this chair.

https://store.herman...html?lang=en_US

There has got to be some ratio of chair to home value that this violates. My ratio would probably be comparable to the Queen's.

It's 4500 AFTER the discount!? Wow. That's something.

It's a solid shove toward moving back home, which is probably for the best. If this wasn't going to work out, it's better to figure that out now vs. later.

You are saying this because the CEO even mentioned that? Isn't it a good thing that everyone shouted him down? Maybe he will update his position.

You are saying this because the CEO even mentioned that? Isn't it a good thing that everyone shouted him down? Maybe he will update his position.

Gotta kinda go with wavy brvy here. Sounds like you're rep is solid with the majority, or at least a good portion...some(?) of leadership. Maybe take this opportunity to build a better relationship with the CEO. Interact with him regularly and at each milestone to give updates and solicit his feedback under the aegis of attempting to give him opportunity to stay apprised and/or head off any reservations he had about you leading the project.

• Like 1

It's not clear what's going on. The CEO doesn't want to be involved or know the details, until he gets extremely involved and wants to know everything. Typically when that happens on something I'm touching, he'll come grill me and/or try to get me to undermine my boss on whatever he disagrees with. I make it sound like he's the worst, but he does it in a non-confrontational way.

I'm going to work on making it all an open book, so people easily find out where we are in the bigger picture, or at least can know there is a bigger picture established, even if they don't want to read it. Nobody really has a good communication approach at my company, so I would be the first to get it right at the project level.

Like I said, I don't really know what's going on. Maybe the chair might be in the cards after all. I bet it's awesome and worth it. The other possible outcome is that I quit and find something in KC, live a happier life closer to my family, but without the chair.

Just buy it. Your condo is paid for, your retirement accounts are well funded, you have other investments, a good job, and a good future outlook. And you can always resell it and recoup most, if not all, of your cost.

The only concern should be do you ship it to Louisville or to your parents so you don’t have to move it 1/4 of the way across the country.

You can also use a cashback site (referral link) https://www.topcashback.com/ref/member212952322426 to get 5% back on your purchase. (I’ve used this site before and actually got paid so it’s legit). Feel free to just go directly to the site topcashback.com to sign up if you don’t want me getting $10 from your signup. Or just ignore this entirely.

Thank you for the heads up. If I buy it, I will send the referral your way.

Reached out to a recruiter in KC, hoping to find a portfolio manager role or something along those lines. I feel like I have given it enough time for the sting of what they did in December to wear off, and it hasn’t, and I don’t want to go on like this until next December.

Dude. You must start early. Waiting 12 years will be way too long. They will see Mom's reaction and realize that's an option. You definitely need to be buying a tent and having sleepovers in the back yard. Send your wife to a weekend with the girlfriends and then go on little camping trips farther and farther out. First in town, then maybe a town or two over, then the South Carolina coast or something. They will start to love it. You could even take them to REI, Gander Mountain, or some equivalent store and let them pick out something cheap and fun for camping. Maybe that's a hammock or the like. They will start loving the outdoors, and looking forward to your hikes. When they are around 10 or so, you can start flying fun places and make it a 4 or 5 day weekend. You could even bring your wife along for those and she could stay at "home base" which will be a nice hotel room with a Jacuzzi tub, while you guys are hiking during the day.

My youngest, who is now 12, went on his first camping trip with just me and the kids, at my grandma's farm in Illinois, when he was just 10 weeks old. I brought his pack-n-play with us and we slept in a tent for two nights. My wife was back in Iowa at the time because she hates camping.

Buy one of these tents: https://www.tentsile...tions/treetents

I grew up on Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, and we had about 200 acres of woods, so I went hiking somewhat regularly. I've been on maybe 5 proper multi-day backpacking trips...but not in some years...and always borrowed equipment. We've walked the woods a bit with my girls when we go to visit my mom...though nothing much more intense than gravel/dirt roads. Being down here in Florida, everything's so dang flat, but there is a wooded park where I've taken them on walks.

So yeah...I wasn't saying waiting 12 years to go hiking with them...just potentially 12 years before I'd be comfortable taking them all to NZ to do a multi-month trip.

Those tents do look pretty cool. Quite pricey though. I suppose it saves you the trouble of sleeping mats. Might wade in with something a smidge cheaper.