Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I’m gonna be honest here, it doesn’t sound like you’re trying very hard.

i should get a raise and promotion next week. i’m looking only for the dream job and that isn’t going to be an option in too many places.

that's probably too obscure a sopranos reference for brvy to get it.

Correct.

i should get a raise and promotion next week. i’m looking only for the dream job and that isn’t going to be an option in too many places.

I don’t even know what my dream job would be. I just know I want to make more money and then go from there.

Well, obviously, but I mean even in real life terms. Is it just being a senior analyst? Is it becoming a manager? Or a supervisor? Big company or small company? I have no idea what I want or for how long it’s a feasible career path before I get pigeonholed.

So I just GIF responded before because I didn't have much time, but Swingers is absolutely a classic film. It's in the pantheon of break-up films. From a plot standpoint, I get that it seems like not much is happening. It's more of a character study and a satire. I also think it's immensely quotable and probably have most of the movie memorized. I'm guessing I've seen it at least 10 times.

I first rented and watched it soon after it was available at Blockbuster. It had the lasting effect of getting me into swing and neo-swing. I loved the music, and I enjoyed taking a dance class. I also wore a blue zoot suit with a fedora and wingtip shoes to my prom. Getting beyond the exposure to new cultural elements to the actual film...

I generally agree with loogie's assessment and would probably cite those two things first, but let's go in-depth on a lot of it.

Spoilering for length and plot (I guess)...

So we open with Mike having a tough time getting over a relationship and receiving some pretty good advice from a friend about what it's going to take. We also get a general feel for Mike's sad life.

From there, we get introduced to Trent. He's definitely a satirical character. He's the guy that everyone perceives as really cool, but he pretty much shows that he's a sham by the end of the movie.

Then we get an amazing condemnation of the grass-is-greener approach to life (which interestingly also acts as pessimism in the face of negativity):

"We're gonna spend half the night driving

around the Hills looking for this party

and then leaving cause it sucks, then

we're gonna look for this other party you

heard about. But, Trent, all the parties

and bars, they all suck. I spend half

the night trying to talk to some girl

who's eyes are darting around to see if

there's someone else she should be

talking to. And it's like I'm supposed

to be all happy cause she's wearing a

backpack. Half of them are nasty skanks

who wouldn't be shit if they weren't

surrounded by a bunch of drunken horny

assholes. I'm not gonna be one of those

assholes. It's ****ing depressing. Some

skank who isn't half the woman my

girlfriend is is gonna front me? It

makes me want to puke."

We get the trip to Vegas...which has a fair share of funny and awkward moments. We see them fail pretty repeatedly.

From there, we get introduced to a few more characters and some of general LA scene...which is again satiric. There's also a fun little meta scene where they're talking about Tarantino and Scorsese and people ripping each other off and then immediately do that. We see some of the shallowness at the party they go to.

They proceed to the club, Mike gets the girl's number after the bear claws/rated-R speech by Trent, and then there's the trouble in the parking lot with Sue.

After that, we get one of the funniest cringe scenes in the history of film where Mike is leaving messages. A fair number of people that I've watched the movie with have said, "No! Stop!" out loud. The comedic timing is really really great.

Then we get the great inspirational speech from Rob. This is the meat of the film. This is true friendship, and this is the clip that I show people when they're depressed.

ROB

See, it's all how you look at it. If

your life sucks, then mine is God awful.

I mean, I moved out here partially

because I saw how well you were doing.

You got in the union, you got an agent.

I thought if you could make it, maybe I

could too...

MIKE

I didn't make it...

ROB

That's your problem, man. You can't see

what you've got, only what you've lost.

Those guys are right. You are "money".

From there, Mike finally pulls out of his spiral. We get the one last club scene that opens with one of the better long shots in cinema. It's also where Mike also finally becomes the happier though still self-deprecating version of himself. The evening and the morning shows that Lorraine is a good match for him, and that he's finally let go of his past relationship.

In our last scene, Trent is made to look a fool, and we're also kind of funnily left hanging on what Mike's ultimate realization is.

In summation, SA, you're wrong.

what's gotten you into a career dead end and a miserable life? I think it might be time to start giving your weaknesses a shot

career dead end is a gross mischaracterization.

In summation, SA, you're wrong.

the movie sucked, and no amount of phony, wanna be rogert ebert, bullshit is going to cover that up.