I Called In Sick Today

I think you're misunderstanding me too. If anything, I think you should have gone harder at him. When a zombie like SA opens himself up for slam dunks about his empty life with a comment like "I must have been busy that day," I expect something more cutting from a trained comedian. My point was that your joke was based on the premise that SA's time was limited or useful, when his entire persona in addition to the the comment you were responding to imply that his time is not valuable to him.

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I expect something more cutting from a trained comedian.

who trains comedians? besides, i'm no comedian. just a guy who's managed to scrape a living off his wit.

i'm fully aware that essay will be around for a long time as troglodytes do not suffer the wear and tear from exposure to the elements. his comment "i must have been busy that day" wasn't as self-effacing as you're presenting it, either. my comment "i've had my moments" was self-effacing. his was a poor attempt at a pile on.

Unfortunately I slept like ass last night and am dead tired and have to wake up early in order to do some analysis that was dumped on me as I was leaving work that I didn’t do when I got home so I’m going to go to bed and will miss the second half.

like i said, this guy isn't funny. big d would have roasted me alive. that's a funny guy. ronny mex would have as well. i miss that guy.

I said more in my "On that we can all agree" post, than you have in all your blathering with him. I like your spirit, and your tenaciousness, but it's ham handed and inefficient. You're better than that, Essay.

Re: Loogie, I think the fact that it resonates with you and Cobson speaks at least partially to Strat's point about it being micro-targeted to a specific subculture of aspiring Hollywood entertainer. With that in mind, the movie makes a lot more sense to me as something they made for their friends. I can even appreciate the larger appeal of that kind of voyeurism to some percentage of a more general, outsider population, but it just doesn't work for me on that level either.

Re: McGee's point about intent, I think Top Gun is a closer comparison than Fight Club. Fight Club doesn't really work for me either in adulthood, and I kind of cringe looking back on how much I liked Chuck Palahniuk as a kid. But even still, Fight Club is made by people with a significant track record of making content that at least attempts (and to many people wildly succeeds in achieving) some kind of deeper meaning or higher artistic value.

I agree that Swingers seems to portray its lifestyle as pathetic, just like I agree that Top Gun portrays the Navy as a homosexual burlesque show. It's a fun theory to think about, it can certainly appear that way on screen, and the case is really compelling, but at the end of the day it's kind of a stretch in my opinion to say that one time in the 90s Doug Liman did one half-clever thing, but denies it and just prefers to work on projects like Suits instead.

I think the only way Swingers compares with Fight Club, is that a huge chunk of their hardcore fanbases entirely miss the movie's point ( and probably Top Gun, now that I think about it). I was just saying I think it is intentionally satirical, I am not making the argument that it's good satire.

I said more in my "On that we can all agree" post, than you have in all your blathering with him. I like your spirit, and your tenaciousness, but it's ham handed and inefficient. You're better than that, Essay.

no, i'm really not.

• Like 2

i don't know about all that, but the movie just sucked. wasn't funny, wasn't dramatic, wasn't smart or interesting or insightful or anything. it was just some losers being losers and sucking at life.

It dealt with everything you know nothing about

Friends and friendship

Going out to bars and parties and having fun with friends

Trying and succeeding in getting girls

I can see why you didn’t like it.

• Like 3

It dealt with everything you know nothing about

Friends and friendship

Going out to bars and parties and having fun with friends

Trying and succeeding in getting girls

I can see why you didn't like it.

not as hurtful as i was expecting, but still good. seriously though, can't it just be the movie sucked ass?

that's probably too obscure a sopranos reference for brvy to get it.

anyways, they closed our office today because of THE SNOW. so i am working from home and really getting shit done.

did i mention that i had that interview yesterday? well i had it and it was over in about 15 minutes. apparently they couldn't tell from my resume i don't actually practice law in my current role so when they learned that it was game over. good use of my time. all in all, though, the experience was good for expectation setting. i need to settle in, and appreciate what i have now, because i'm going to be here for the rest of my life.

when rewatching the sopranos, one is left with at least one incontrovertible conclusion: james gandolfini fave the best acting performance in tv history. he absolutely destroys the other actors, just dominating them in every way.