• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I kind of agree with this, Swingers just feels gross and problematic to me. I've seen people try to reclaim it critically and present it as satire of the douchey, sexist bar culture that fringe Hollywood actors were surrounded with at the time. But it's not really done carefully enough to play that way, I've heard both male leads describe it fondly as mirroring their lives at the time, without any mention of an artistic point, and the director himself has described the film as a rebellious statement against PC culture or something hacky like that, so I'm just going to take the SA position on this one too. Swingers was a more offensive Entourage for people who can't even be bothered aspiring to have money.

i don't know about all that, but the movie just sucked. wasn't funny, wasn't dramatic, wasn't smart or interesting or insightful or anything. it was just some losers being losers and sucking at life.

i don't know about all that, but the movie just sucked. wasn't funny, wasn't dramatic, wasn't smart or interesting or insightful or anything. it was just some losers being losers and sucking at life.

You watch movies to escape from that, not wallow in it

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't know that I agree with Dutch. I think people misinterpreted it at the time, much like how a different sort of person loved fight club, without realizing it's ironic humor, but I don't think swingers intended to glamorize that lifestyle at all, I think it clearly makes it look pathetic.

cobson/bobson/mcgee/whatever your name is

I will humor you and respond since you get an erection with the notion of me even addressing you personally

I don't ****ing care who you are or what cornfield you are nursing for your deceased parents.

You are just some demented loser with a freakish infatuation with me.

I feel sorry for your shitty ass life living in corn country

stop begging aim chat-tards for me to unblock you

I don't want to know anything about you. I do not want to be your chat buddy or anything resembling a 'friend' because its painfully clear to pretty much everyone on these fragmented sites that you have some serious isolation issues.

Anyway, good luck living in ****face, Nebraska and surfing 15 message forums per hour you corn fed piece of shit. You didn't even earn your acreage. It was inherited, and now you spend your cozy life accomplishing nothing and stalking middle aged men

I'm sorry that you aren't that interesting or compelling on your own. How sad you chase others around on the interwebs you ****ing jackoff.

Let me know if you are in California soon....we can 'hook up' so I can hawk a fat green loogie in your face

• Like 1

In terms of local fast food sandwhich places Pepperjax is up there and always my first choice above the other chain subs.

My only complaint is every time I go there, and I refuse to change, I always get a "philly steak with everything" and they say "even jalapeños?" And I say "yes" because that should be part of "everything" and I refuse to reward their behavior by saying "everything including jalapeños".

That's one thing I love about Potbelly's. When I say "everything" that always includes hot peppers and they never ask that.

Swingers is a great movie about transformation and how you have to completely let go of the comforts of your past before you can move forward.

Also, the scene with Jon Favreau leaving the multiple voicemails is one of the best comedic moments in 90s film history, and it's been aped multiple times since then.

• Like 1

Swingers is a great movie about transformation and how you have to completely let go of the comforts of your past before you can move forward.

Also, the scene with Jon Favreau leaving the multiple voicemails is one of the best comedic moments in 90s film history, and it's been aped multiple times since then.

this is wrong on every level, and disqualifies you on any matter concerning media.

Re: Loogie, I think the fact that it resonates with you and Cobson speaks at least partially to Strat's point about it being micro-targeted to a specific subculture of aspiring Hollywood entertainer. With that in mind, the movie makes a lot more sense to me as something they made for their friends. I can even appreciate the larger appeal of that kind of voyeurism to some percentage of a more general, outsider population, but it just doesn't work for me on that level either.

Re: McGee's point about intent, I think Top Gun is a closer comparison than Fight Club. Fight Club doesn't really work for me either in adulthood, and I kind of cringe looking back on how much I liked Chuck Palahniuk as a kid. But even still, Fight Club is made by people with a significant track record of making content that at least attempts (and to many people wildly succeeds in achieving) some kind of deeper meaning or higher artistic value.

I agree that Swingers seems to portray its lifestyle as pathetic, just like I agree that Top Gun portrays the Navy as a homosexual burlesque show. It's a fun theory to think about, it can certainly appear that way on screen, and the case is really compelling, but at the end of the day it's kind of a stretch in my opinion to say that one time in the 90s Doug Liman did one half-clever thing, but denies it and just prefers to work on projects like Suits instead.

• Like 2

i must have been busy that day.

ooh, that's what you went with? hate to see the drafts on that one.

meanwhile, you're so determined to own me, and i'm impressed by your persistence in the face of repeated failure. hell i'm almost rooting for you to one day finally do it.

then why spend it attacking me? no need for you to skid on your face all the way to the finish line

I think you misunderstood SA's point. He wasn't saying the time he has left is precious, he's saying quite the opposite. I can personally attest to how crippling his depression is, and he has money and nothing but medicine and streaming services to spend it on, he'll probably live another 60+ years in hell. I don't mean this to sound like it could be cool or something, but he's basically just walking dead among us, in the saddest and yet least pitiable way possible. Your comeback doesn't fit the context at all.

I've got your back, SA buddy.

• Like 1

i just popped in to see what was going on in the old thread, saw a discussion about Swingers, thought it sounded interesting, and decided to join in

he's depressed? cool. novel. he's untouchable because he's pathetic? um...no, i think he can still get bodied.