I Called In Sick Today

WFH is not without trade offs. The study I saw basically said that WFH employees tend to have worse potential for advancement, less job security, etc. because you miss out on interactions with anyone outside of your manager. Especially for someone like you, the problem solving type, it's basically cutting off one of your big value propositions--you overhearing something, and fixing a problem in some other area.

These are a lot of good points. I just wish sometimes that I could not worry about the future or maximizing my career. Just be content for a change, yanno? I just ain't got it in me though.

Speaking of board games...one of my MN friend's boyfriend is super into board games. Might try some game nights.

• Like 2
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Yeah, I wouldn't be a wise choice if you like strippers or drinking. But if you like UNO or Settlers of Catan, I could come up with something KILLER.

That was pretty much us but with drinking and video games. On the board game front, we played one called Codenames that's super simple and fun. Also finally played Ticket to Ride...and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

So I started a blog the other day. Mostly/totally just covering my illness so far. Since posting the first blog I've been debating sharing it with ya'll. Part of me feels like I should because it's been years we've "known" each other and, considering my illness, I'd better get it to you before I can't. But I don't know 'bout some of ya'll having this info frankly.

I may choose a blog bearer to hold on to the into in case but not share it with the whole (lol) thread. Decisions.

• Like 2

That was pretty much us but with drinking and video games. On the board game front, we played one called Codenames that's super simple and fun. Also finally played Ticket to Ride...and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Codenames is great. We play it all the time. It's good for kids and adults (even though kids are horrible because of their lack of vocabulary which helps immensely when trying to connect 5 different words with a single word).

Ticket to Ride Europe is also good; give it a try.

Do it Tilt.

• Like 1

So I started a blog the other day. Mostly/totally just covering my illness so far. Since posting the first blog I've been debating sharing it with ya'll. Part of me feels like I should because it's been years we've "known" each other and, considering my illness, I'd better get it to you before I can't. But I don't know 'bout some of ya'll having this info frankly.

I may choose a blog bearer to hold on to the into in case but not share it with the whole (lol) thread. Decisions.

Send the blog via pm to the people you trust, and don't' post it publically so creeps like me and dutch can't find it

• Like 1

Dutch would be my first, last and only pick for planning a bachelor party. Go big or go home.

This, but I don't think I have the roll to fund a dutch escapade. I would suspect his parties are the kind you want to half ass. Also, I always kind of picture him as a slightly white washed Mr. Chow for some reason.

• Like 1

This, but I don't think I have the roll to fund a dutch escapade. I would suspect his parties are the kind you want to half ass. Also, I always kind of picture him as a slightly white washed Mr. Chow for some reason.

It probably had something to do with this avatar

seuss021.jpg?w=240

I find most board games awful if you are playing with slow people.

These are my current favorites in order:

1. Alhambra

2. Puerto Rico

3. Cities And Knights mixed with Seafarers of Catan (5-6 player edition, but played with 4 players)

4. Trivial Pursuit

5. Dominion (including all expansions, but my favorite expansions are Prosperity, Seaside, and Adventures)

6. Killer UNO

7. 7 Wonders (With Leaders expansion)

8. Lords of Waterdeep

9. Ticket to Ride

10. Power Grid

• Like 1

Recently got Terra Mystica. Very very good.

Castles of Burgundy remains my favorite, I think.

I don't have any of the expansions Brvy mentioned (except Seaside), but most of the games. Been looking into Power Grid. Amazon has also had a pretty good sale on Blood Rage, which I haven't played, but is very highly rated. Been putting off buying it all day.

Splendor is also great for a quick one.

The Game of Thrones board game remains amazing, but tough to play with newbies.

Brvy, that's 250 warnings for posting a top ten list.

I'm not a big game guy. Though I'd play with you bros anytime.

Warnings are meaningless in this thread, Big Guy.

i was looking through my bookmarks and found that basketball forum we went to five years ago when this place got the changeover. hard to believe we used to say so much here we were worried about what we'd do if this place was dead.

anyways, had a nice conference yesterday and today for my CLE. good news is you have property rights in your frozen sperm, and you can validly leave it to your girlfriend even if your wife and children are unhappy about it. i was only half listening when i heard the word sperm and perked up, but i think i got the gist.

• Like 1

Been looking into Power Grid.

It's very similar to Ticket to Ride, just so you know.

Supposed to rain for the next 36 hours. Might just have to take a nice long nap this afternoon.

That's always a nice little Saturday.

Finally got hot here. Hit the dog park at 7am while it was empty, was in the pool from 10-12:30. Got too hot. Might dip back in. Who knows? That would require beer

• Like 1

Codenames is great. We play it all the time. It's good for kids and adults (even though kids are horrible because of their lack of vocabulary which helps immensely when trying to connect 5 different words with a single word).

Ticket to Ride Europe is also good; give it a try.

I like Ticket to Ride. It's an awful game to play if your opponents are clueless/slow, but I've had one or two good games.

The part that I liked about Codenames was that it's a really easy premise. Can learn it in like 5mins and the games are fine with like 6-10 people and only last like 10-15mins. I ended up going out and picking up a copy today at Target for $20. Also got the latest version of Balderdash, because I've always loved that game and am not sure where my old copy went. Going to take some over to a friend's tonight to play.

Looked at Ticket to Ride (and TTR: Europe), but they were each $50. :( Hard to justify spending that much when I don't even know when I'll be able to play it next. I do like that that game's also not overly complex. My first game...I ended up getting cards that wanted me to connect Duluth-Houston and New Orleans-Montreal. I accomplished that and connected those routes together and thought I was doing okay...but apparently the people doing routes out West slaughtered me.

Have you guys played King of Tokyo or Pandemic?

King of Tokyo is good, but there are some cards that (IMO) need to just be removed from the deck. Ridiculously OP.

I'm in the midst of a huge rush to get all my studying and projects done, so I can sit for the CFP in July. My girlfriend is pissed at me because I keep shooting down vacation ideas that fall between now and the exam, and mad at me for not wanting to go to shit like this event with her tonight. She's right that I don't spend all of my time studying, but I don't think she understands what it's like to try to study while working a bunch of hours.

For a number of reasons, right now is basically the worst time to let off of the gas, so I admit I would never agree to any vacations anyway, even if I didn't need to be studying. She just doesn't understand the trade-off: hate life for 5+ years, in exchange for getting paid a bunch of money, to do whatever it is you're passionate about.

Pandemic is very well done game. Full coop. Probably a bit hard to win at first, but as you learn you can increase difficulty. It's a good groupthink experience. There's also a great app version you can buy to try it out.

If you end up with a regular (weekly or bi-weekly) group, Pandemic Legacy is probably the best game ever.

If you're looking for quick and simple, as Strat mentioned, Splendor is hard to beat. Rules consist of 1 page. There's also a very good app version of that as well.

King of Tokyo is good, but there are some cards that (IMO) need to just be removed from the deck. Ridiculously OP.

I'm in the midst of a huge rush to get all my studying and projects done, so I can sit for the CFP in July. My girlfriend is pissed at me because I keep shooting down vacation ideas that fall between now and the exam, and mad at me for not wanting to go to shit like this event with her tonight. She's right that I don't spend all of my time studying, but I don't think she understands what it's like to try to study while working a bunch of hours.

For a number of reasons, right now is basically the worst time to let off of the gas, so I admit I would never agree to any vacations anyway, even if I didn't need to be studying. She just doesn't understand the trade-off: hate life for 5+ years, in exchange for getting paid a bunch of money, to do whatever it is you're passionate about.

I imagine you will always have an excuse not to take a vacation.

All work and no play. Is a week away really going to adversely affect your life's plans

• Like 1

I imagine you will always have an excuse not to take a vacation.

All work and no play. Is a week away really going to adversely affect your life's plans

In the long run, there has to be a healthy middle ground somewhere, but my timeline is extremely tight if I'm trying for an executive level role. I'm going to be 32 this year. I can't delay kids for too many more years, and when I eventually do start a family, I won't have the time to commit to work. It's just so much easier to hate life on the front end, and reap the benefits later... but my girlfriend just sees it like, "you make $x, which is more than enough to afford multiple vacations per year."