• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Probably my proudest moment here mister McGee.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys! Honestly I'm surprised you're all not dead. What do you know.

Well Speedz and Tilt are, but we're not keeping track.

• Like 1

Speedz isn't dead! He just got married!

Tilt died though. rip Also Randy Reed. rip

I think I have LYME DISEASE

That is UNFORTUNATE. But we're all glad you DROPPED BY to let us know. Personally, I'm very healthy, if you don't consider my ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION a serious medical condition, that is. WHICH I DONT.

never used it personally as a consumer, but we looked at it for smaller accounts on the institutional side, and it's not there yet.

If I remember correctly, the guy that owns it is a serial entrepreneur and is going to sell as soon as he gets a good offer, so we were turned off for that reason as well. the thinking is that some fund manager is going to acquire them and use them as a distribution channel for their products, like Schwab, Fidelity, and BlackRock do with their robos.

I don't know. I love doing it myself. if I wasn't doing it myself, I'd probably use betterment.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the performance of wealthfront. I put the minimum in a couple different funds and such for a year (yeah yeah, small sample blah blah blah) and while all saw a decline and rebound the wealthfront rebound didn't get me back to status quo ante while the others all managed a small profit. however, if i was going to put a significant enough amount to take full advantage of tax loss harversting, that might be another story.

just putting it out there.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the performance of wealthfront. I put the minimum in a couple different funds and such for a year (yeah yeah, small sample blah blah blah) and while all saw a decline and rebound the wealthfront rebound didn't get me back to status quo ante while the others all managed a small profit. however, if i was going to put a significant enough amount to take full advantage of tax loss harversting, that might be another story.

just putting it out there.

in the scheme of things, I don't think tax loss harvesting is a huge value-add. this is coming from the guy that wrote and implemented his firm's loss harvesting code, and captured about $2mm of losses over the last year for clients. you're just getting the NPV of the tax bill you would have otherwise paid on gains (assuming tax rates are constant, and you don't die and get the step-up in basis, etc).

I mostly think it's just important to be in the right products. smart beta is great, or just standard cap weighted stuff works, too. active managers are starting to get squeezed by fee compression to the extent that they might start to be worth their expenses. I really don't think it makes sense to be in mutual funds in taxable accounts, just based on my experience watching people get lit up with cap gains distributions each nov/dec--effectively paying someone else's tax bill. it happens in ETFs, too, but to a much lesser degree due to a stupid tax loophole.

I'm off to chicago tomorrow for this wedding. not sure what i'll do tomorrow but saturday is all day wedding stuff, then the big event on sunday.

I could come give you a big hug?

• Like 3

you could always head over to the horseshoe in hammond and grind.

that was a thought, and it is probably going to happen. unless i get scared by the big city and don't want to leave the hotel.

I could come give you a big hug?

i'd like that.

I think the fact that they are making you burn your Labor Day weekend on them is the actual nut low.

holiday weekend and first weekend of the college football season. extreme selfishness on the bridegroom's part.

I think the fact that they are making you burn your Labor Day weekend on them is the actual nut low.

Holiday weekend < Big Sporting Event Day < Sunday < Non Friday weekday < Friday < Saturday

Labor Day, Memorial Day, and the like aren't really even in the same galaxy as Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would way rather have to go to a wedding on Labor Day weekend than the Super Bowl and it's not even close.

Therefore is has to be:

Christmas/Thanksgiving < Big Sporting Event Day < Minor Holiday weekend < Sunday < Non Friday weekday < Friday < Saturday

Can really count opening day/weekend of a sport on the same level as superbowl? Has anybody even gotten married on superbowl without it somehow being incorporated into the event? Also, most jobs don't give days off for sporting events, but many do even for "minor" holidays. So, IMHO, you switch BSED and MHW in that list and I could agree to it, but I'm also thinking maybe superbowl should be it's own thing...

As someone who has been to weddings on a 4th of July weekend and on the Iowa State/Iowa game day I was way more angry about the holiday. Matter of fact I have a wedding on this years game, too. Dang.

Of course the exception would be a NYE wedding. That could actually be fun.