I Called In Sick Today

Normally I would agree but when I last made a serious effort to move a lot of places wouldn't even look at my resume unless I was living there at the time. Maybe it'll be different now that I've got more experience and the like but I don't want to burn a lot of applications on places that I might have a chance at if I lived there.

Granted, I could just lie and use my buddies address and say "yeah I'm living here already" or whatever but it'll be way easier to job search while I'm there.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I think consistently watching for good listings is more important than any of the other details (where you live, how much you weigh, etc.). there were quite a few people at my last job who were able to uproot and move, and nobody there had your experience and designation.

I think honesty works with the job applying. Say that you have multiple places to live in the area and can move at any time, but practicality precludes you from moving until securing gainful employment.

But you'll happily travel for multiple interviews

Not much. Just a few pounds. I started really slow at the beginning. Just now starting to get into reasonable distances running. Clothes are fitting a little better though.

And I've had this urge the last few years. Just now to a point where it might make sense and I'm getting increasingly restless with my job and life situation and running away from your problems is always a great idea.

I think you should move. Go where your friends are. Life isn't good if you can't share it with people you love. Good job on the diet/exercise.

Normally I would agree but when I last made a serious effort to move a lot of places wouldn't even look at my resume unless I was living there at the time. Maybe it'll be different now that I've got more experience and the like but I don't want to burn a lot of applications on places that I might have a chance at if I lived there.

Granted, I could just lie and use my buddies address and say "yeah I'm living here already" or whatever but it'll be way easier to job search while I'm there.

I disagree with Mexico on this one (kind of... but I definitely think honestly is best). I wasn't getting any bites when I was applying for places in Chicago from DSM. When I put my SIL's address on my resume I was getting calls/interviews like crazy. I think places just don't want to even have the conversation about relocation expenses (unless you get hired by a giant corp and/or you are very specialized).

I even told people during phone interviews that I was in DSM but could be there tomorrow, and that the address on my resume would be my home base.

Fair point. Maybe people won't even look or talk to an out of state app. So, yeah, maybe resume has local address and say you are currently in the middle of a permanent move. Or something.

• Like 2

I wasn't being dishonest. I was totally upfront with everyone that I was in the process of moving, but wasn't going to bring my family out until I got a job.

Citing some examples from my previous job:

girl I obsessed over for a while, got an offer to move to Seattle from KC. she had been working for 6yrs, but had not made it above an associate level, and the offer was in the 40s.

guy I knew, also associate, had been working 3-4 years, randomly got a job in Denver doing something related. didn't ask about the comp.

Not totally apples to apples, but lots of people from my graduating class in college took jobs far away from KC.

I am not trying to be a dick, just calling BS on the excuse. you need to be job searching if you're unhappy. I hope you will do the same for me someday, like you did in years past.

• Like 1

Well, I appreciate the perspective. But I also have two friends recently that tried to leave DSM for other cities and were told repeatedly that to not even bother until they move out to wherever they were going.

And I looked at my lease and I'd be responsible for any remaining months of rent until they found a new tenant. So could be anywhere from one month to five months rent. Or maybe six. Can't rememeber if it's January or February.

So, come January, I should really start applying. Because, really, any job that's listed in January isn't still going to be open when I'm actually living there.

Those are the lease laws. I dealt with that a hundred years ago. If you break, you are on the hook until the lease expires or until they rent it. And I don't trust them to not double dip, rent it and charge me the full fair

But if we're analyzing Napa, I fear that he thinks a new city is going to totally change his life. It's not going it. He needs to find some happiness and peace with himself. Buying things is fun, but that doesn't satisfy you long term. Plus, he has lots of friends in DSM, so it's not like he doesn't have anybody in the current city and is moving to be near friends.

I'm hurt that you don't think I've thought about everything that could possibly go bad. I'm aware it's a very high risk/high reward situation. But it's not like I was born and raised in DSM and am leaving behind the only life I've ever known. It just happened to be where I got my first job out of school. I want to try something different. With the exception of my brother, my family will be effectively the same distance away. And I already have a very solid support system in place up there anyways.

I'm sure you've thought of every possible scenario. I am all for making big changes and going for it. I just hope you aren't going in with wild expectations of hanging out with models at Paisley Park, just because you're there and not in DSM. Life is what you make it, no matter where you are.

That was my only point. An unhappy person is gonna be unhappy in Iowa, in Palm Beach or in San Fran. Unless their unhappiness stems from not going to the beach, then they'd just be unhappy in Iowa

Here's my 2 cents on the whole DSM vs. MPLS debate: I've been friendly with quite a few girls from Minnesota and every single one of them loved to fuck. And I'm not talking dead fish lays like Wisconsinites. Iowa chicks? meh...

• Like 1

ugh. One of these days I'm going to sit down and make a list of approve living locations for members of this thread. Hint: most of you don't live in one.

Hi five!

I think you should do that right now.

• Like 1