I Called In Sick Today

So, I was right in that a recent quitter here was tapped to be our new "big data" employee. They just listed the job and I saw the position reports to the one manager I'm cool with and I asked him to confirm my suspicions and he really wants me to apply for it. I think I would really like the work other than the fact that id be terrified I wouldn't know what I was doing and was messing everything up and would be fired any day.

so how would that be different from every other day?

I think I might have made a mistake not taking the compliance gig. the leadership in the IT department seems to be able to be classified in one or more of these categories of late:

unfocused, panicked reactionaries that make a ferret on meth seem zen like

lacking in memory to the point where I am genuinely concerned they have suffered severe head trauma recently and repeatedly

empty suits

The upside is that thanks to my promotion I at get to argue my point myself instead of going through an intermediary. I'm still getting shouted down but at least I know my point is being made.

I should've listened to the cynic in me that said loyalty shouldn't be a factor in making my decision. Just remember that kids, listen to the cynical ******* within, he ain't dumb.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I did a lot of dog parkin' and such activities. Gave the apartment a deep clean. Fell asleep on the couch catching up on some preacher and was rudely awaken by someone pounding on my door. Scared the shit out of me. Thought it might be someone complaining that my tv was loud or something. As I got up in my daze I look through my peephole and see an EMT looking dude knocking on my neighbors door. They answer and I can kinda hear him ask "where's the kid?" but like I said, I was dazed and my tv a little loud. My neighbors point up the stairs and he's gone. I look outside and don't see any emergency vehicles. Eventually a cop car rolls by. I'm still not sure if it really happened. Especially cause there's a dude right outside my building working on his car like nothing happened. Might have to file some FOIA requests tomorrow to see what's what.

Clearly everyone had a rockin weekend. Or died

I did have a pretty packed weekend. The girl that used to nanny for us came out with her sister and mom and spent the weekend with us. We went downtown to The Bean and the Art museum which would be no big deal on a normal Saturday, but this particular Saturday was the 25th anniversary of Lollapalooza; which meant thousands of half-naked people jammed in every orifice of Chicago. It was a chore even walking on the sidewalks. That being said, we did eat at Lou Malnati's which made everything perfect.

It's the 10 year ST reuinion. All of us are getting together this weekend. Even tygfine and TimDog. Your invite must have got lost in the mail. Weird cause MK is hosting us all in Chicago.

It's my 10 year HS reunion. Of the 9 people that have RSVP'd yes only 2 are people I'd really care to see and they both live in the greater DSM area and we've never gotten together. There's more people that have RSVP'd no that I'd want to see than have RSVP'd yes.

Ah... so are you going?

Anyone here have life insurance? I would guess only Mexico does. The Ocho probably did as well, but he died.

My high school class was only 22. And our school was 6 towns combined.

That being said, I had a really small class. Both sides of our class was in the 40's.

Anyone here have life insurance? I would guess only Mexico does. The Ocho probably did as well, but he died.

I have it through work. But all I have to do is pay 4 bucks a paycheck.

I haven't decided if I'm going or not. There were 67 people in my class. The majority of the people that have RSVP'd yes still live in town.

I have life insurance through work, too. Doesn't cost me a thing but it's only like $20 or 30k worth of coverage.

We get one years salary free, then you pay for the rest. I bought 4x salary.

That's a great deal.

I have it on my own and I pay about $100/month.

I think it's very reasonable to not have life insurance until you're, at the very least, married; but until kids is just about perfect.

For where you live, you probably are.

I have 1.5, and I'm probably under by quite a bit also.

Essay, do you know if your insurance can be transferred if you leave the job? Are you paying into an actual whole life policy?

The younger you get it, the smaller the payments will be, until you die or turn 100