• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

sounds like I don't have to share a room due to the number of attendees.

I would have just said no. No ****ing way I am sharing a room with someone as a full grown adult so my company can save $100. What if he snores? What if he masturbates in his sleep?

I honestly can't imagine they even asked you to consider that.

• Like 2

rake at the poker room just went up.

sharing a room on a business trip is hilarious. i;d never agree to that. nor would my company even attempt it. lawsuit city.

rake at the poker room just went up.

sharing a room on a business trip is hilarious. i;d never agree to that. nor would my company even attempt it. lawsuit city.

was the same deal with my last company, the year KC had two state of emergencies due to snow--they paired everyone up into rooms.

basically, I agree with what you guys are saying, and it's a big part of why I am just not interested in conferences / travel.

that's unfortunate, company travel can be alright and conference can be a really valuable way to find opportunity. The few times I had to travel for my company were pretty decent. Usually a Hampton type place. single room. decent per diem for eats and, I believe we could even expense a couple of cocktails per day as well IIRC. Got pretty shitfaced with some college staffers at nice resort outside of Austin during a conference. That's where I tried Garrison Bros. and thought it was fairly tasty.

It sucks they make us fly out of omaha because the flights are $100 cheaper on average. It honestly can't be that much of a savings considering they have to pay mileage for us to drive over but that is exactly the kind of shortsighted, penny wise pound foolish thinking I would expect from our talented leadership.

A good portion of my company's senior management are just devoted employees from the very, very early days. The hotel room policy, several other idiotic budgeting decisions... all of these originated with this group of decisionmakers. They're all smart people in their own ways, but you see a ton of penny wise pound foolish decisions, as hank says.

The big decisions for the company, that's where all of the guys with the bigger equity positions in the company are focused (as they should be IMO). Fortunately, in like five or six years, the legacy people will have all retired.

One of them is on this trip, and she is sharing a room with another person, so I don't know. Rooms were like $300/night, so I get where the company is coming from.

I have mixed feelings about the situation. Would prefer just to not go, but what can you do. I will make way more money in the long run by being flexible and doing what is expected. All indications are that I'm going to get really paid in like a month, too.

Oh, I'm mad as hell right now. An error was just found in budget and it's getting blamed on me by the person I cleared it with when we were originally doing it because I didn't fully understand it so I ran the methodology by this person as well as 2 other people and they all said it was good. I don't mind getting blamed for shit I did do but goddammit this wasn't my fault.

Yep, that's where I fvcked up. It was all verbal because I just did it and then walked them through it and they verbally signed off on it. And it's even fvckin stupider because it amounts to less than a tenth of a percent of overall revenue. A rounding error. And it's just a part of a much larger calculation that is dependent on other shit so it might not end up amounting to anything.

Just today I was told to do something that makes no goddamn sense, so I typed it and said I'm doing this because you're the oil and gas guy and you told me too. So when it goes wrong I can waive it around and shield myself from blame.

Always get it in writing. Best advice any lawyer can give.

• Like 1

Just today I was told to do something that makes no goddamn sense, so I typed it and said I'm doing this because you're the oil and gas guy and you told me too. So when it goes wrong I can waive it around and shield myself from blame.

Always get it in writing. Best advice any lawyer can give.

yeah, someone was complaining to me about their boss routinely contradicting themselves. I told her, even if they're not asking in email, type it up via email and send a confirmation. screw people like that, play the game if they force it.

• Like 1

It's been my experience that the higher ups don't actually care who screwed up, or at least a back and forth about it, they just want it fixed. Therefore, the original rat always wins. I am never the rat. I always take blame and give out credit. I hope people notice that I'm the smart, humble yet talented team player They never do

• Like 2

I know everyone likes to think they're the good boss, but I definitely note the guy that's always ratting out the others, and it doesn't take too many instances before it's a bad note. I also notice those fess up to their mistakes and those who pass kudos to their coworkers and staff, mostly because I do that too and unfortunately it too often isn't recognized.

I am good at embracing my mistakes, but if someone up the chain makes a call and I am blamed for following it, I'm going to cite it. I hate that work environment, but if a boss wants to go there with me, it isn't within my control to do anything but play the game. I played that game against the CFO of a multi-billion dollar company and kept the relationship alive for almost a year--I can play it against anyone.

ultimately, if you keep the policy that you admit every mistake, and you have a certain level of pride in your work, you end up being really good at what you do, regardless of how good you were on day one. that's the mini-talk I gave both of the younger guys I supervise.