I Called In Sick Today

I love roast chicken and came across the strangest sounding recipe from Jamie Oliver for Chicken in Milk. It sounded so odd and people raved about it so hard I decided to give it a try. It took a while to put together but was really super easy and amazingly good. Who would have guessed?

Chicken%20Mise.jpg

The prep for this is really easy. You need ten cloves of garlic (unpeeled), a stick of cinnamon, the zest of two lemons (I juiced one for use in the sides and quartered the other to stuff the chicken with, next time I'd probably skip the juice in the sides), and a handful of fresh sage leaves. The astute among you will realize that I mistakenly bought thyme instead of sage. Oh well, should work out OK. Not pictured is two cups of milk and a three-pound chicken.

Brown%20Chicken.jpg

Wash and thoroughly dry your chicken, season with salt & pepper, and then brown in on all sides and ends in a little oil in a dutch oven. When I bought my dutch oven, I decided to save a few bucks and get an un-enameled cast iron dutch oven. Don't do that. Spend the extra money and get an enameled dutch oven. It would be more versatile and easier to clean. Say dutch oven again. Dutch oven.

Braising%20Liquid.jpg

Remove the chicken to a plate, drain off the oil, and then add in all the other ingredients.

Chicken%20Before.jpg

Put the chicken back into the pot, cover, and then into a 375-degree oven for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, remove the lid for another 30 minutes to aid in browning. Baste occasionally throughout the 90 minutes with the juices/sauce.

Chicken%20After.jpg

This is what you get after 90 minutes. Remove the chicken and let it rest in foil. Meanwhile, squeeze the roast garlic out of the peels into the liquid (why didn't I just peel them to start with? I dunno, the recipe didn't say to. Next time!) and whisk the lemon juice, chicken juice, garlic, herbs, and milk solids (which have curdled from the lemon and heat into kinda gross looking lumps but smelled great) into a sauce to spoon over your plated chicken. This sounds weird and looks it too, but trust me, it's awesome. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the sauce.

Barley%20Mise.jpg

I decided to serve the chicken with barley pilaf, a regular option for us when we have the time to improve on regular rice - much healthier and tons more flavour. This takes about an hour so start midway through the first sixty minutes of the chicken roasting. One cup of pearl barley (you'll want to thoroughly rinse this before using it), one rib of celery, 1/3rd of a smallish onion, one bay leaf, and a bit of lemon juice (I used about a tablespoon, half of what is in the dish).

Barley%20Veg.jpg

Dice the onion and celery very finely, and sweat for 5 minutes in some melted butter over low heat. Add some salt and cook until the onion is translucent.

Barley%20Before.jpg

Add the barley and stir to coat in the butter. Add a bay leaf and 3 cups of chicken stock (this is where I added the lemon, it wasn't needed). Bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes.

Barley%20After.jpg

After 45 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and the barley should be soft. Let it sit with the lid on, off the heat for another 10 minutes to finish soaking up the liquid.

Asparagus%20Before.jpg

For the last 30 minutes of the chicken I made roast asparagus. Mince three cloves of garlic and toss the spears in olive oil and garlic, then spread out on parchment paper. Spoon the garlic/oil mix over the spears, S&P, and sprinkle with some parmesan. Into the oven with the chicken for about twenty minutes.

Asparagus%20After.jpg

This was sooo good. Spritz with a little of leftover lemon juice.

Chicken%20in%20Milk%20with%20Barley%20Pilaf%20and%20Roast%20Asparagus.jpg

After all that, I somehow forgot to put the sauce on before taking pictures, which is ridiculous because it kind of misses the point of the whole bizarre combo in the meal. Oh well, I'm definitely making this again to try with sage next time. The chicken was incredibly tender and moist, and the milk curd sauce is awesome.

• Like 5
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

That looks great JLL. And you're usual great job with the pics and descriptions.

JLL, where and when did you learn to cook?

I guess officially I'm self-taught but that diminishes a lot of other people who have shown me things (or done them where I could see). I'm pretty much a sponge. I read everything I can get my hands on and at some point when I was about ten, that left the cookbooks in the house. I also like to eat, so it seemed like a natural progression. I've been cooking since about then. Usually that's mostly just things I like to eat, so when I was kid I did a lot of baking (bread, cakes, loafs) and candy making (truffles, caramels, hard candy, etc) and now it means more entrees. I soaked up everything I could from my mom, and my grandmothers, and my wife, and others. I read cooking websites and watch cooking shows for ideas. I try different things as often as possible. I wanted to go to culinary school after high school but my father pretty much scotched that idea.

But really I'm pretty good at following a recipe. There are others who are much better at being creative in the kitchen than I am.

• Like 1

It really is kind of annoying. I don't know what the deal is, because we run the same software on a different site and it is very snappy.

It's pretty simple.

There is probably not another thread in the world as large as this one. The software is not designed to deal with threads of this size and there is nothing that can be done to make it load faster.

All the normal sized threads including some quite large ones in the hockey forum load just fine.

Hyperbole.

It's pretty simple.

There is probably not another thread in the world as large as this one. The software is not designed to deal with threads of this size and there is nothing that can be done to make it load faster.

All the normal sized threads including some quite large ones in the hockey forum load just fine.

Yeah, that makes sense. This thread is a beast.

this thread loads just fine on my mac and on my phone. pretty quick actually.

Takes me a good 6 seconds.