I Called In Sick Today

I like how the guy who doesn't know how to fix AC is the first line of defense, and when that fails, they bring in their "diagnostics" guy, whose qualification is that he does actually work on AC sometimes, as if House was sent it to solve the big puzzle.

I don't work on my cars, but I have in the past, and literally anyone can. There are books that tell you the steps to methodically diagnose problems in specific cars. But to a mechanic, "methodically" is just an SAT word for faggots, and it's replaced with "sloppily, while blaming things on Obama." So all that "experience" really ends up coming into play.

I remember my partner's battery kept dying years ago, and they replaced her alternator, the battery, and did something else, and it just kept dying. I looked on the internet or in a Cilton's manual or something, and it took me like 20 minutes to find the problem. And I literally don't know how to change the oil in any of my cars. This is not intellectually taxing work these dropouts do, and they still lack the mental tools to do it.

A large part of the reason morons become mechanics is because of Darwinian Economic inequality.

Morons of low intelligence usually attract mates of a like kind and beget children of a like kind. Morons, by virtue of being morons, are poor. It's difficult to be a moron and prosper in this life. Early on, poor morons are forced to do certain necessary manual tasks that more prosperous people don't have time for. Eventually, realizing they can make money doing (that) vocationally because there's a large group of people who value their time more, it becomes an occupation. A NASCAR mechanic is going to be someone who could've been a physician, but decided to go another route. A greaseball clip joint mechanic is someone who had no other options.

The flip side to it all is that there's an almost comical level of incompetence among higher income people when it comes to really basic shit. I mean, I have no idea how a gate post works but when I had to put one up, it took about 20 minutes of youtubing to decipher the absolute most superior way to do it, then just repeat that process using my own hands and it came out perfectly. What you did with that car would be well, well beyond the capacities of a lot of higher income people, which creates an odd but understandable resentment among lower income people

Brian points out that without physics there'd be no engineering, Bender notes that without lamps there'd be no light.

The hole in the story line is that its pretty damn unlikely someone like Brian would be unable to make a Woodshop Elephant Lamp function properly.

Andy, on the other hand...

• Like 3
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Brian points out that without physics there'd be no engineering, Bender notes that without lamps there'd be no light.

The hole in the story line is that its pretty damn unlikely someone like Brian would be unable to make a Woodshop Elephant Lamp function properly.

Andy, on the other hand...

As someone who watched The Breakfast Club no less than 50 times in his life, I thank you for this analogy

• Like 1

I buy all my phones with Virgin Mobile. It's expensive up front, but my excel spreadsheet showed I would still save about 700 over a 2 year period. I have an iphone currently.

I have the $30/month plan. (It's actually 35, but you get another 5 bucks off if you set up autopay) I get 300 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data. I went over my minutes this month, but that's so rare, that I'm not upgrading to the $40 plan for 1200 minutes.

EDIT: I just checked and for whatever reason they have given my minutes a bump to 481 even though I still only pay 30/month. I'll take it.

well, damn. I need to look into that.

I barely use my phone as a phone anymore. At least with friends and family. I mostly just FaceTime or iMessage. I could probably get by with the smallest number of minutes and no texting at all.

• Like 1

AT&T has the best service I've experienced, but the sleaziest business tactics (directed at customers) and costumer service.

That's another thing I love about the iPhone: if something goes down, I deal with Apple's amazing service instead of shitty service from one of the companies that is actively trying to sting me with petty short cons.

Virgin mobile works on the Sprint network. I think they and Tmobile just announced that they are joining. Won't be much longer and there will basically be 2 cell companies providing service with the other, smaller, players paying to use their network.

False alarm on the truck. Jesus/Miguel/Alfonso couldn't figure out the problem after all. He changed the ambient temp sensor and nothing changed. Dicked around with the truck until 4 pm today. This after having it since 10 am yesterday so I chewed the service managers ass over the phone and by the time I got there he had the keys to the truck ready and didn't charge me anything. Jesus/Miguel/Alfonso pulled me aside as I was walking to the truck and told me of a shop that specializes in electrical and A/C. Still deciding on whether to give them a shot or just go straight to the dealer and take it up the ass like a man.

brv, does virgin use the oddball wireless standard? I forget what it is, and a quick wikipedia has me stumped. AT&T, straight talk, etc. use the 3g/4g. I would need a new phone to get that $30/mo, right?

Yeah (to the 2nd question), you have to buy the phone through Virgin, because their phones don't use SIM cards or something weird.

They are on the Sprint Network, so they have 3G/4G available depending on what phone you buy. The iphone 5s is $519 right now. The Samsung S5 is $599.

False alarm on the truck. Jesus/Miguel/Alfonso couldn't figure out the problem after all. He changed the ambient temp sensor and nothing changed. Dicked around with the truck until 4 pm today. This after having it since 10 am yesterday so I chewed the service managers ass over the phone and by the time I got there he had the keys to the truck ready and didn't charge me anything. Jesus/Miguel/Alfonso pulled me aside as I was walking to the truck and told me of a shop that specializes in electrical and A/C. Still deciding on whether to give them a shot or just go straight to the dealer and take it up the ass like a man.

"Somehow, "I told you so", just doesn't quite cut it" -Will Smith

Just let the dealer diagnose it. Save money by having someone else fix it.

• Like 1

Just in case someone has missed Chappelle doing the late night circuit:

Letterman (More serious and personal. Talks a little about the end of his show)

Fallon (includes a pretty funny Kayne West story)

I've been with Verizon for what I'd guess is around a decade. I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data...I don't think they offer it anymore. My wife is constantly going over her data on AT&T and getting pinged for extra. She basically uses her phone as a laptop, so she's constantly searching around for wifi. I also have tethering...mostly as back-up internet.

Yeah, I pay an extra $15 bucks a month for tethering. It's worth it, especially on the train or on trips back to Iowa. Speaking of which. I'm coming your way tomorrow Napa. Hopefully we can hang next weekend or after.

Edit: oh right...I'm high...no iPhone coverage on Ting. The rate system does look kind of cool, though. At least not the 5s. If they ever add it, though, or the new one when it comes out, I would be into something like that, I think. Assuming it actually works like they say.

I couldn't use Ting because I'm a data hog. (1 gb per month is 30 alone - without minutes or texts)

I get unlimited data with my minutes and unlimited texts for 30, and I don't get throttled until I hit 3gb.

so I've never heard of this Ting thing. does anybody have any actual experience with it? specifically the coverage? this topic is actually quite pertinent to me because my parents are both using phones from 2002 that barely work any more but they are on some old plan with sprint that costs next to nothing so they're scared to upgrade phones. they don't know what texting is and would be frightened if they saw the internet on their phones, so talking is all they would need. recommendations? stick with sprint and get a new plan or try ting or something else?

Ting sounds perfect for them. On Ting, data is expensive, and everything else is a bargain.

• Like 1

your parents will get new phones to switch to ting, and someone will text them or introduce them to the wide array of bullshit available on this new device, and you'll find out months later that they've unknowingly been paying way more per month. that sounds like what ting aims to do.

• Like 1

Supposedly they use the Sprint network, so the coverage is theoretically as good as anything.

My dad would definitely save on Ting. I think I would too. 90% of the time, I'm just on wifi anyway. When I'm traveling I use a ton, but since you aren't under contract, you could always switch carriers for a couple months when needed.

This is starting to sound like a lot more work than it claims to even be worth. It was a bad idea.

so I've never heard of this Ting thing. does anybody have any actual experience with it? specifically the coverage? this topic is actually quite pertinent to me because my parents are both using phones from 2002 that barely work any more but they are on some old plan with sprint that costs next to nothing so they're scared to upgrade phones. they don't know what texting is and would be frightened if they saw the internet on their phones, so talking is all they would need. recommendations? stick with sprint and get a new plan or try ting or something else?

I think Strat's scenario is likely, but I don't see it as a bad thing. Worse case, they get stung for like $12 more than AT&T one month, in the course of realizing that they need a proper cell phone to live in 2014.

If you went iPhone, and their kids have iPhones, they will probably never exceed $3/month in texts. I sent like 100 texts last month, max, and like 50,000,000 iMessages.

Yeah, I pay an extra $15 bucks a month for tethering. It's worth it, especially on the train or on trips back to Iowa. Speaking of which. I'm coming your way tomorrow Napa. Hopefully we can hang next weekend or after.

Maaannn, I'm booked this upcoming weekend and the next with wedding stuff and people coming into town. I can probably grab a beer during the week though.