Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Question for you shake:

how did your interview get to that point without money being brought up?

Didn't they make you give them a number, prior to the offer, that you would accept?

salary never even got brought up. it was strange. I figured it would have. but I mean they didn't even call me with the offer, just emailed it straight to me, salary info inside, like it was all a foregone conclusion. seemed kind of strange.

not to mention that the entire process from me applying to the offer took two weeks. jobs don't move that fast in freaking temp services, let alone full time places. seemed strange to me. I mean, it's not necesairly a bad thing that they were quick, just so far out of the ordinary.

When HR people or job applications ask you your salary expectations, how do you guys handle that? In negotiations, the first one to throw a number out loses. I always feel that asking for what I want/need will scare them off but asking for what I'll accept is giving up. Then I can't negotiate because that's what I wrote down. I think I overthink this whole deal

nah it's always the most stressful part. and the worst part is they all seem to do it differently. what is your current salary, what is your expected salary, nothing about either... I've gotten all forms. really pisses me off when they insist that you tell them your current salary but won't say a peep about what the position pays. one supposedly really great company I interviewed for did that; turned me off on them almost completely.

edit: and I was thinking more along the lines of during the interview. the application ones suck too because you never know if you didn't get the interview because of the number or what.

I'd always just write down my current salary and what number I had in my head as a fair market rate if asked and then I also knew the lowest number I'd accept if they countered. Screw playing their negotiation games. Also helps having a job at the time of negotiations so you can just say "nope, not going to work for that".

the last interview I did, they asked what I was expecting, I told them that my agency contact had prepared me for a lateral move. I said I'd expect to get promoted once or twice in the next five years, that I was taking this job for growth, knowing that it was a start-up and expecting things to find their way to my desk (or actively seek them myself). lateral was $35k, they offered $40.

if it's a big enough company, glass door is a decent way to approximate what you should be asking for. or even using a different company with the same title. if it's a pretty common type of position, the BLS has statistics on different job titles per region. e.g. paralegal, whatever.

I remember that like. I think I purposefully was being dickish, for a chuckle.

Why wouldn't I listen to you? I think you offer plenty of value on these types of topics. When I understand what you're writing.

you are going to be a lot more confident in digging in your heels for a number if you're sure that's what other people are getting paid. ultimately there is a market rate, and that HR person knows it from having interviewed people, seeing survey data, etc. they will push back, but if they want you and you aren't being unreasonable with your number, you'll get the job.

of course, there's always the outside chance that they just have unrealistic expectations about what they're going to get for the salary they're offering. that's going to happen regardless of how much research you do.

obviously where I ****ed up with my current job is, I didn't realize they were willing to fully lie to me to get me in the door at a cheaper rate. nothing my friend had said about this place led me to believe that that was a part of their culture. oops.