Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Not sure that logic, while sound, applies to a 1 million dollar buyin tourney.

It does less than it used to, just because the older pros lost their money already so the field is going to be stacked with internet guys. But this locks out most of the good players, too, and polarizes you to Durrr and "Anonymous Asian Businessmen." I'd rather play in that game than a $1,000 event.

It brings the best players to town because it brings everyone else to town. There is probably a daily $100 tournament on PS that plays tougher than literally every event in the WSOP.

I don't know what tournament ROIs look like for players of any caliber, though, so even though he is good and this tournament features "Anonymous Asian Businessmen," I can't really add more. Just that I think he is probably much better than you realize and that these fields are thought to be much softer than typical.

Interesting how poker has it's own proprietary economy. Makes sense that if you're a money guy to spread it around so you have more bullets though. And it's obviously +ev for the players that sell action like that.

Also, Cobalt, you should totally get drunk and then decide if it appeals to you because being drunk is awesome.

Doing stupid things, lack of coordination, vomiting, and headaches are fun?

(Just for the record, I wasn't trying to be judgmental or trying to point out some kind of hypocrisy or something, I just didn't realize how weird my church was until adulthood, legitimately still forget most Christians don't have a problem with reasonable amounts of booze, and was shitting around. I don't think you took it that way, but you never know.)

I'm not that big on getting drunk, and in my old age appreciate a single whiskey or a couple beers much more often than getting shitfaced, but it certainly has its place. It's more fun/ than weed or something, particularly for social situations. It's harder to dial in a perfect level of being drunk without getting more drunk than is pleasant or fun (you really almost can't mess that up smoking, once you've been doing it), but honestly, throwing up drunk is not that big a deal. You are drunk, so its not that shitty anyway, and you'll feel way better if you do than if you don't, given similar amounts of drinking. I'll probably get drunk a few times a month, max, but even when I go hard, I almost never puke, and have been hung over no more than 3 or 4 times in my entire life. YMMV.

Yeah, didn't take it that way really. Just thought I'd elaborate on my thoughts on alcohol.

Also, I think I may have a decent tolerance for alcohol...but my taste buds aren't fans after a while. One beer's good. By the second one, it starts to taste bitter/bad. I've found this to be the case with every beer I've tried. Now girly drinks...strawberry daiquiris, pina coladas, and Miami Vices (combo of the two)...I could do a few of those.

Doing stupid things, lack of coordination, vomiting, and headaches are fun?

A) Yes

B) do you really believe that that is all being drunk entails and that millions upon millions of people still voluntarily do it week after week?

C) we would never be friends irl

But Napa! We're like best friends irl, and I basically agree with him. I think beer is disgusting, and I can only drink girly drinks. Also, I've never been drunk in my life. Maybe Cobalt is as awesome as me?!

• Like 1

I only have room in my life for one religious non-drinking person and that's you Brvy.

Not to mention I wouldn't call long islands or White Russians girly drinks. Plus, I don't feel like your actively judging me for getting drunk quite often. Nothing but love from the Big Man.

• Like 1

If he were taking a hit on the deal, I'm not sure I'd be convinced he's got what it takes to get us paid.

Agreed. I was thinking about this more from the backers perspective. Does this (or any) player justify a 9% mark up against the size/strength/luck box fields that one faces in the WSOP. Obviously it's a good deal for the player.

I had this awful dream last night. I was at the mall and I spotted the former lady friend. So I started following her. She went into a room and I followed her and when I got into the room she was having sex with some guy. So I ran out to my car and for some reason I was driving a minivan and when I got in the drivers seat I could feel someone in the back of the van. I turned and it was the killer clown from that Stephen King movie. Scared the fvck out of me. I woke up in a terror sweat.

The mark up is paying for the player's time and talent. You could put yourself into a WSOP tournament but you still have to invest your time. A small mark up of 1.09 seems like a pretty good deal for a player of the magnitude and not having to do anything yourself except give him money.

• Like 1

just had a one on one with my manager. expressed my dissapointment with my constantly increasing responsibility while maintaining my same low ass level position. she agreed it wasn't fair. and that was that. probably the last time it'll be brought up. least I said something I guess. I don't even feel like trying anymore.

napa: sebastien tellier

just had a one on one with my manager. expressed my dissapointment with my constantly increasing responsibility while maintaining my same low ass level position. she agreed it wasn't fair. and that was that. probably the last time it'll be brought up. least I said something I guess. I don't even feel like trying anymore.

I don't remember the details of how long you've been there without getting promoted or whatever, but I definitely feel like there comes a point when you have to accept that they're not interested in moving you up. state street, probably pretty similar to your employer, was FULL of people who occasionally put in for raises, always got denied, just shrugged and kept on showing up to work every day with the same attitude. my perspective changed so much when one of my friends got hired by some firm out of state for 50% more, and SS just casually bumps up his rank, matches the offer. like, okay? I guess you were just kidding about all these rules and strict compensation tiers.

I'll never forget one of my coworkers, explaining to me in great detail, how her superior had devised some system of explaining how he was handing out raises. there were complex numbers assigned to performance of the different people in the group, yadda yadda. the end result was, he completely convinced her that she was doing better than anyone else and getting the best raise. it ended up being $500, and she had no way of confirming anything else he'd said. "come into my office, let me explain to you this unverifiable complicated thing I completely made up."

• Like 2

yeah my company is pretty much the same with all the rules about stuff like that. though they will promote from within frequently they'll still give the whole song and dance about not giving you a raise because of "company policy". of course they still do exactly like you said if they really want somebody to stay, giving them a huge raise and breaking all the "rules" at the drop of a hat.

problem is, that's SOP at any mid to large sized company nowadays. you either deal with the bullshit like that or go to a small, much more risky company, probably with a lot fewer benefits.

I also found out this weekend that two of the people I know here that are currently in the position I want make about 20k less a year than I thought. don't know if I should be happy that everybody is equally ****ed or sad that I have even less if a chance of financial success here?

"You will take this shit sandwich and eat it with a smile on your face like a good soldier!"

All of this is such bullshit. Rules my ass. They just figure why pay someone more to do this job if we don't have to? The job market is still such a sellers market that companies can get away with this. When/if that turns around these same companies will be screwed because the first to leave are always the best performers.