I Called In Sick Today

I lost my wallet somewhere this weekend. That's not good. I haven't lost a wallet in about 15 years.

Luckily it only had like $120 in it, and I already have the new cards coming.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Wow, nice. That's cool.

I want to learn want you know.

First things first, I'm sorry to hear about the stroke, but I'm happy you've regained some motor skills.

It's a smaller piece, 8x10 shadow box. I bought it a little more than a year ago and I still love looking at it. The artist puts some of her work up in my neighborhood. I liked buying directly from her--why shouldn't the artist get the money--but I wish I was cool enough to have yanked it down from someplace.

There are two reasons to purchase a watch.

To tell time, or as a symbol of status.

Tudor is the Epiphone of Gibson.

There's a weird dyssynergy in spending anything over $100 on a watch that is a lower tier version of a luxury brand, as the only reason to spend more than $100 on a watch is to secure the image of 'look at me, I'm someone capable of spending four or five figures on a watch. I appreciate the GOOD STUFF!'.

Anyone who would recognize the watch would recognize it as a Tudor, anyone who wouldn't isn't going to care either way.

So, maybe look at the Citizen/Seiko family.

Respectfully disagree: I own watches to tell time, and for their design. I have a Timex (that lights up at the push of the stem), a man's Seiko (gold, and purchased for me), and a Longines. Brand names motivate me only when the design portion has remained strong, like most versions of Cartier's Tank watch, and don't care at all about Rolex.

I wear a lot of jewelry every day--I dress like a pirate, a gypsy, or Mr. T depending on your frame of reference. I have inherited a bunch of estate pieces, and love some of it, and don't have feelings for the rest. One day I will get 5 or 6 white gold or platinum art deco watches. They are beautiful, but the faces are so small I can't read them. Instead of insuring them, I will probably keep one, and get rid of the others.

• Like 1

From last night:

Mr. Friendzone and I went to the Satellite--I parallel parked in a miracle spot. My rear bumper was kissing the rear car's bumper, and my front bumper was so close to the other car I had to turn sideways to get between the two spots (I'm 5'3", 120 lb). I got into that spot with very, very little trouble, no bumping of the other cars, and no car alarms set off.

The comedy was pretty good. Todd Glass is always funny, then there was a guy Jake Weisman who was new to me who I liked a lot, too. Weisman had a lengthy funny bit about flying while stoned. I know, old territory, but still good. There were two separate female comedians, and a musical duo that did not make me or Mr. FriendZone laugh.

In the audience: Jim Rash, writer of The Descendants, and Dean Pelton on Community.

Neil Hamburger closed the night, and he did a great job.

Why did Eric Clapton switch from PC to Mac?

He had a problem with windows.

What is the worst part about Fred Durst's herpes?

His music.

I had one beer--some kind of IPA, I was sitting and Mr. FriendZone went and bought it. He offered sincerely, and more than once to buy me more, but I was driving (and CA has a .05 limit).

Other stand up stuff: when I saw Bridget Everett last week, a guy got up to use the bathroom. It's during the act, in a small place, so Bridget can see who is getting up to go to the bar, to use the bathroom, etc. She stops her show and blurts out, "Holy shit. Are you Bobcat Goldthwait?" It was, he was there with his daughter. He was sitting some rows back and did not get any special physical attention from her.

• Like 1

I have never lost my wallet that has to be a mess.

Ditto. Every one of my friends used to lose wallets and keys regularly. I have never lost both. Knock on wood.

Also, Frau is the best.

• Like 1

my grandpa played baseball at nebraska.

Finally. An acceptable answer. Good job

insta-fold. But I'm fairly conservative with cards.

Name one thing you aren't conservative in, besides procreating.

Congrats on the new job Ron

Thanks

I'll throw this in my back pocket for when I get a job

(I'm 5'3", 120 lb)

I had one beer--some kind of IPA, I was sitting and Mr. FriendZone went and bought it. He offered sincerely, and more than once to buy me more, but I was driving (and CA has a .05 limit).

The single fellas just creamed their jeans. Also, it's apparent you should move to Iowa. You'd clearly be the cat's pajamas. Both of our Iowans adore you.

One beer in what must have been a three hour event? You coulda choked down a second. C'mon missy, step up. I'll bring cab money on our date

• Like 1

Banged out 5 pars today and 4 or 5 more bogeys, and my fair share of blow ups on the tee box. Fortunately, my putter was working decently today.

18 is a par 3 and I par'd it. I almost hate that because it makes me want to play 9 more. I went back to my old ball setup in the last 3 holes and started striking it well again. I was working on a traditional setup lately but it wasn't coming today, or the last two times. Gotta kick it unconventional. Whatever seems to work

• Like 1

What? CA is .08.

A friend got a DUI this fall, and had a bunch of classes--she's the person who told me the .08 was going to be rolled to .05 in January. Currently, I believe you can get a wet reckless ticket, regardless of your BAC.

So scram, why do you own expensive watches then?

So I have credibility when I mock them.

The fact that I can usually insta-name the base ebauche and explain the movements in excruciating detail makes for quite a conversation when some fragile-ego assclown throws up with the "you just don't get it" argument.

Do you realize how humiliating it is for someone who buys such things- because of their deluded ability to 'perceive' the finer things- to be derided by someone who understands said things profoundly better than they do? There is no more horrible and thorough way to draw and quarter the ego of a man than undermine his ivory tower.

That, and because I like them. You should see the honey of a late 30's Elgin curvex'y thing I have on the bench right now.

• Like 1

You can blow nothing (or nobody) and still get a ticket, I believe. Can't they just say you were impaired, by weed, pills or coke? Or as Shake calls it, Tuesday

If you fail a roadside sobriety test, I mean

So I have credibility when I mock them.

The fact that I can usually insta-name the base ebauche and explain the movements in excruciating detail makes for quite a conversation when some fragile-ego assclown throws up with the "you just don't get it" argument.

Do you realize how humiliating it is for someone who buys such things- because of their deluded ability to 'perceive' the finer things- to be derided by someone who understands said things profoundly better than they do? There is no more horrible and thorough way to draw and quarter the ego of a man than undermine his ivory tower.

That, and because I like them. You should see the honey of a late 30's Elgin curvex'y thing I have on the bench right now.

That's what I thought. I also expected "because I collect them" to be an answer.

I really don't care about the status of owning an expensive watch. In fact, you might not believe me, but I would rather people don't know it's an expensive watch. I guess the only thing I would like is if people were to internally or externally comment on my watch it would be for them to say "that's a nice looking watch"That is also why I don't want a Rolex or Movado or whatever fancy known watch people would recognize. If someone saw this watch and recognized it, cool. If not, I really don't care.

If I do buy and every day watch, I would love it to be timeless and of a quality that would last, maybe even something I could hand down to my son or a grandson later on.

I currently have two Kenneth Cole watches my wife bought me years ago. Both stopped working after a few years. Combined they were probably $2-300 bucks. I never fixed them, because, why? So I haven't worn a watch in years. The reason wearing a watch has come up again is because I am coaching sports and need to be able to quickly look at the time without pulling out my phone. Now of course, I could just buy a $50 timex or something. But I would not wear it everyday and I would totally forget to put it on for when I needed it.

I have never lost my wallet that has to be a mess.

It is.

In the audience: Jim Rash, writer of The Descendants, and Dean Pelton on Community.

Oh man. That's a great movie. Almost as good as Michael Clayton... and that's saying something.

Ditto. Every one of my friends used to lose wallets and keys regularly. I have never lost both. Knock on wood.

I have a disability regarding my attention span, and used to have a real problem with this. If it gets set down, then I will forget it. Period. Over the last 15-20 years, I've solved the problem by never ever lying it down. I'm hoping one of the kids knocked it into the laundry or something and it will turn up, but we've pretty much torn apart the house, so I'm guessing I left it at Sam's or something. (I called, no one turned it in)

Name one thing you aren't conservative in, besides procreating.

Within the confines of my religious community, I'm on the extreme end of liberalism, since I feel like there is a Biblical case for why gay marriage should be legal. Things, like the fact that I don't believe swearing is a big deal (even though I never swear in real life), I'm ok with dances, drinking/smoking weed, and lots of other things that conservative people within religiosity would be against.

Also, Frau is the best.

This deserves it's own post.

You're correct.

• Like 1

You're "ok with dances"?

Staunchly religious people aren't ok with dances, like in Footloose? The planet those types of people live on makes me so sad

I was just trying to answer honestly. That's the far side of the religious pendulum, but it exists in great numbers.

No, I certainly appreciate the answer. I'm just surprised there are people out there still in the dark ages, on a social level.

While I see you are religious and conservative, You not caring about gay marriage and some other stuff makes you a saint in my eyes regarding that community

• Like 1

That's what I thought. I also expected "because I collect them" to be an answer.

I really don't care about the status of owning an expensive watch. In fact, you might not believe me, but I would rather people don't know it's an expensive watch. I guess the only thing I would like is if people were to internally or externally comment on my watch it would be for them to say "that's a nice looking watch"That is also why I don't want a Rolex or Movado or whatever fancy known watch people would recognize. If someone saw this watch and recognized it, cool. If not, I really don't care.

If I do buy and every day watch, I would love it to be timeless and of a quality that would last, maybe even something I could hand down to my son or a grandson later on.

I currently have two Kenneth Cole watches my wife bought me years ago. Both stopped working after a few years. Combined they were probably $2-300 bucks. I never fixed them, because, why? So I haven't worn a watch in years. The reason wearing a watch has come up again is because I am coaching sports and need to be able to quickly look at the time without pulling out my phone. Now of course, I could just buy a $50 timex or something. But I would not wear it everyday and I would totally forget to put it on for when I needed it.

Have you ever considered vintage?

Granted, I'm a vintage fanboy/proselytizer however if 'heirloom' is what you're after, there's a lot to be said for something that's already 70+ years old.

The only real 'downside' is that stylistically, they look like vintage watches and modern horological form is that a watch is 'midsize' if its any smaller than a typical pie plate, however there are some great ones, you get a shitload of bang for your buck and as far as getting 'noticed', I get 10 comments when I'm wearing vintage than I do when I'm wearing a GMT or an IWC. Also, you have to be careful when buying them since a lot of them haven't been serviced since the Eisenhower administration, if ever and may be keeping shitty time. If not buying from a 'watch source' and buying from the wild (ebay, whatever), you must budget $100-$150 for service, straight away, if you plan on wearing it.

And they're fragile. Also have no moisture soundness and they fog easily.

• Like 1

You're "ok with dances"?

Since both you and Scram pointed this out, I just want to clarify.

I wouldn't care at all if my kids went to a school dance. This is different than just saying, with reservation, "Well... they're ok, I guess. Let's talk about it though."

I know you figured out already that I was just contrasting myself from others, but I felt like it should be on record.

Have you ever considered vintage?

Granted, I'm a vintage fanboy/proselytizer however if 'heirloom' is what you're after, there's a lot to be said for something that's already 70+ years old.

The only real 'downside' is that stylistically, they look like vintage watches and modern horological form is that a watch is 'midsize' if its any smaller than a typical pie plate, however there are some great ones, you get a shitload of bang for your buck and as far as getting 'noticed', I get 10 comments when I'm wearing vintage than I do when I'm wearing a GMT or an IWC. Also, you have to be careful when buying them since a lot of them haven't been serviced since the Eisenhower administration, if ever and may be keeping shitty time. If not buying from a 'watch source' and buying from the wild (ebay, whatever), you must budget $100-$150 for service, straight away, if you plan on wearing it.

And they're fragile. Also have no moisture soundness and they fog easily.

I'm sure you really sold the **** out of Guapo with this description.

• Like 1

Scram, what do you think about Tissots and or Seikos. Got in a wormhole looking for a casual watch and found one of each of those that I like the look of. Can't remember the exact models but I believe they're both chronographs.