I Called In Sick Today

one of my new friends here is in cell phone sales, just got a 3% raise, and is livid over it. he's trying to talk to his boss about it, but it's a big company, and it's just a terrible waste of everyone's time to even discuss it. I am just a little blown away that someone who is really good at sales would not immediately go out and start interviewing again.

When my boss finished with the eval and picked up the paper with my raise she said:

"sigh...I know you're not going to be happy with this....your increase is 4.04%"

"Yeah, that's about what I expected"

"OH! (very excitedly) So that's what you were expecting?!" (She sounded very pleasantly surprised and relieved)

"I said that's what I was expecting. Not what I'd be happy with"

"...."

The fact is big companies generally give 0 - 5%. Just the way it works. Want more money? turn in better numbers and get a bigger bonus.

Or sell more cell phones.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I definitely remember you hitting mk up for advice before you were taking yours. lol. c'mon with this tone.

I don't get a raise and have to pay for the retake if I fail. so I'm just doing everything.

That was the 7, and it was only for the options part of the test. The 65 is just a bunch of legal crap.

What I am saying is reading the book is a waste of time, if you take 50 practice tests, you will know all the questions and answers and its a better use of your time. Unless you have some form eidetic memory, you're not going to remember 500 pages about blue sky laws.

I do. 30% of annual salary if we hit our budgeted targets. Goes down if you miss target and can go up if you exceed target.

This is the bar in the gay district, which looks a lot more fun than the bar we went to. They have skeeball!

http://updowndsm.com/

This is the bar we went to last night

http://dmjuice.com/c...r-at-barcadium/

I love skeeball, so that makes it an automatic for me.

Craft beer, arcade games.

I'd really like that place--craft beer, arcade games, and maybe you could have the floor lay out by difficulty. So on the right hand side, the pac man's are fast, and the ghosts are slow. The middle would be normal speeds, and a few of the machines on the left hand side would be total twitch control. You would have a couple repeats (so you can play some favorite on easy, medium, and super hard) but the others can be switched around.

I'm in a cranky place right now. My immediate supervisor is almost refusing to work, and I'm having a hard time not picking at it. He hired someone, who I didn't really get a chance to interview, and now I'll be her direct report. Her first day is tomorrow, and I know I'll have to make up her entire job.

I can't turn off my brain at night--I finally drift off, but no restful sleep.

WELL IF WE'RE SHARING, AND IN THE TURST TREE, IN THE NEXT, I'LL SAY I'M NERVOUS AND SCARED ABOUT CALLING THE COUNSELING SERVICE TO SETUP AN INITIAL APPOINTMENT.

Therapy is awesome. If I had more therapy, instead of just thinking about it, I would be pounding down the Coconut thin cookies from Trader Joe's, and thinking of completely foul and libelous ways to describe the neighbor across the way.

Had my annual review today. Scored 4.07 out of 5. Reportedly the highest score, by a healthy margin, of all the DM's in the company. There were a couple of small numbers results that brought that portion of the review down to 3.7 but the bigger picture, revenue, compensation and profit were all 4's. Scored 4.8 out of 5 on the Core Values/personal attributes section. All that lead, reportedly, to the largest raise given to any DM. 4.04%. Sigh.

There was a whole paragraph about how I'm ready for the next step, blah, blah, blah. That, the news that I scored the highest of the DM's and another 6 percent would have made for a decent raise.

How hard are you going to use that for a raise? When I took my promotion in November, I didn't get my ask amount, and came up $5K shy. They said we would all review the work, at the end of the fiscal (June), and possibly get it then. Well, my internal power broker has told me point blank there are only two employees who will be getting raises, and I'm one of them.

If that's true, do I ask for the discussed $5K? Or increase? Keep in mind my immediate supervisor is looking hard for a gig. If he leaves, I'll be responsible for his duties in the interim. My plan would be to push the job to give me the interim title, and a hefty, hefty salary bump. I might get it, because I'll have so much leverage with my donor knowledge and relationships. I like where I work, but don't love it. I want to exploit it to maximum value (both dollars and resume).

My take would be they blew it by not giving you the $5k when you asked for it. Now you've had the chance to further prove your worth (Recent six figure donation, right?) both in your job and stepping up to take on more responsibility so the price of poker just went up. $7500 would be my floor.

If I do get offered a promotion they will pay. I will not take a dime under $100k. It they refuse I turn down the promotion and start taking the interviews I've been pursued for but turned down and start actively looking for a new gig. You have got to get it when you are hired or promoted or it's a lifetime of 4% raises. I wasn't low balled when I started here but I could have got more if I pushed. 13 months of unemployment softened me up for them.

Plus, I've come to like living in So Cal and any promotion comes with a 90% plus chance of relocation along with it.

• Like 2

sounds like there are at least three groups that want me when I'm done training. different tradeoffs to each. I probably go after my friend's former spot--a team that clears maybe 300k on a staff of 2.5. I talked to the advisor today, played poker with him on Friday, had lunch with him at some conference on Thursday. he's extremely cool, and I have no doubt he'll be good to work with, I just wonder if he's hit his point where he's making apathy money.

She paid.

hahaha that's a funny typo. you accidentally typed that she paid. a woman paying for a meal! how rich!

I do. 30% of annual salary if we hit our budgeted targets. Goes down if you miss target and can go up if you exceed target.

yeah but bonuses are taxed out the balls. mine was at a total of 40%, and that's with VA income taxes. I have to imagine california is higher. you gotta get that base nigga.

You have got to get it when you are hired or promoted or it's a lifetime of 4% raises.

yep. this is standard everywhere. getting pissed off at a low annual raise is pretty indicative of a lack of corporate experience. nobody gets over 5% anymore. I supposedly had one of the highest "ratings" in the department and I got 2.93% or something like that. standard was 2.5. woohoo. you work for a company with any more than 100 people and that's just the way it is. only way to get a real raise in this day and age is to get a new job in a new company, or possibly a new job in your current one if you're extremely good. even then you aren't going over 20% unless you're god.

probably have a much better shot at raises and what not if you're in a smaller company, because they don't have all the HR oversight making it shitass difficult to give anybody a raise or promotion, but it's also much more risky. less room for movement, more possibility of having to deal with assholes you can't get away from, less benefits. I don't know. I just want to win the fucking lottery. god damn it.

• Like 1

I love skeeball, so that makes it an automatic for me.

Therapy is awesome. If I had more therapy, instead of just thinking about it, I would be pounding down the Coconut thin cookies from Trader Joe's, and thinking of completely foul and libelous ways to describe the neighbor across the way.

Yeah, had I done my research before hand I probably would have recommended we go to that one because of skeeball. Oh, well.

I feel like I don't need therapy to be able to do that. That's basically my life as it is.

I bought a router/table yesterday, so now I can do edging and stuff (on wood). My first project is going to be making one or two of those wall mounted bottle openers that have a magnet in them to catch the bottle cap for some friends who recently bought houses.

• Like 1

WELL I'M A LITTLE ANNOYED THAT BETWEEN NETFLIX, AMAZON STREAMING, AND HBOGO THAT I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING I WANT TO WATCH

EDIT: NEVERMIND, GOING WITH TOMBSTONE

Have you seen Moon?

WELL IF WE'RE SHARING, AND IN THE TURST TREE, IN THE NEXT, I'LL SAY I'M NERVOUS AND SCARED ABOUT CALLING THE COUNSELING SERVICE TO SETUP AN INITIAL APPOINTMENT.

I'll call for you. Just PM me their number and I'll tell them that I'm your secretary or something.

Im about to get ass fvcked at work. This really blows.

Didn't get your number so you could get credit for that sale you were talking about, huh?

It was on purpose. They don't want to give a sale of that size to a noob.

After dodging an old coworker for months about getting drinks (oh, dang I'm out of town for work, you know how it is!") he finally cornered me and got me to agree to get a few tonight. Not looking forward to it, but I need to stay friendly with him in case I ever need the reference in the future. Dammit.

Thanks for asking tilty. They actually didnt assign me a new number, they changed th name on the old number to my name. So my name is on all active numbers, so i do get the credit ~ at least so long as the process is complete before the new senior officer is hired and takes that number back.

my roommate watches ESPN in the mornings before he leaves, so I hear Berman's ****ing screaming every day as a sleep preventer. I would really just be better served going to bed earlier. but I'm settling for hating Chris Berman.

I haven't seen Chris Berman on Sportscenter in years. While I agree that he's annoying and I don't have ESPN on repeat, I pop it on in the background. Are you sure it's Berman?

Interview went good. Test was purdy straight forward, debits/credits and normal signs. They obv threw in an excel test. They said I did good on both. I was the first interviewed, whole process takes 4-6 weeks. Should I send a thank you letter, do people do that??

Send them a tirade about the exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie. that is sure to keep you on the radar.

• Like 1