Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Actually just looked on Amazon and equivalent specs came out to 1300ish. So 200 premium for mac to deal with no virus issues. Sold.

there are viruses written for OS X.

it's about $700-900 for a top of the line laptop on a deal website like slickdeals, has been for a few years. nobody else has the kind of display and software that apple has, which is why it's worth the extra money for people who need it.

I would add that if I were not concerned about getting maximum value, I would totally buy a 13" MBP. they've got the best form factor and ventilation of any laptop I've ever used. the best power connector. I just don't have a use for a laptop anymore.

Got my macbook pro today and two mini macs. I have no idea why I was using windows. Holy shit this is so much better. Only downside is that the computer screen is smaller than I would like.

I'll ask you again once the new car smell wears off. I've used them a lot for photography, and I find them slow and counterintuitive. I'm a PC guy though, and like to build my own machines.

macbooks are still awful value unless audio/video/graphics are a profession or passion. I have paid zero attention to laptop prices over the last year or two, so going by this discussion, I figured macbooks had come way down in price or something. turns out it's still about $700 more vs. a comparable non-macbook at all price points. again, I think it's fine if you have some specific purpose to the purchase.

Being in the visual field a touch, I actually disagree. I think that's just something Apple has poisoned the well with. PC's have tons of great software available, like creative cloud, and even for someone in the field full time macs are terrible value.

That being said, Guapo asked us to set aside price, and since that's the 1st through 10th drawback, at that point, he should just give it a try and see if he can get lucky with a long term solution to his annoyances.

I'll ask you again once the new car smell wears off. I've used them a lot for photography, and I find them slow and counterintuitive. I'm a PC guy though, and like to build my own machines.

I built my first computer this summer and holy shit, I was stupid for not doing it before. Got so much machine for the price. And life before SSD's is SO 2000 and late

Actually just looked on Amazon and equivalent specs came out to 1300ish. So 200 premium for mac to deal with no virus issues. Sold.

As strat said, there are viruses out there for mac but there are a couple factors working toward the "mac = no virus" myth.

One is just a numbers game. windows is, or at least has been historically, so ubiquitous that there was no percentage in writing code to attack apple. Secondly, apple goes out of its what to gloss over/hide/shift blame on apple exploits that they make the kennedy assassination conspirators seem like amateurs.

I understand that they are not 100% virus free. Also, those 700-900 computers keep crashing (HD, motherboard, something) in about 2 years.

Also the amount of time I have dealt with Windows issues (probably 80+ hours a year) is not worth the couple hundred bucks. Im sure there are mac issues i don't know about yet.

So we will see. I also bought mac minis as desktop compeers, they were $599 each. Can't beat that.

30 seconds...Hahahahahahaha

wow. that best actor speech was the best acceptance speech i've ever seen. MM was outstanding.

why do you watch this stuff? just seems like an awful use of your time.

bought some shirts from h&m today. mostly just to wear at work. two for $31. my roommate (6'6", huge wingspan) just says, "I hate that you can just go buy stuff like this anywhere, and for that cheap." the store here is a legit traffic-free 10 minute drive, in a mall with a bunch of other stores. this city is actually pretty great.

• Like 1

I built my first computer this summer and holy shit, I was stupid for not doing it before. Got so much machine for the price. And life before SSD's is SO 2000 and late

I built my PC as well last year. It was fun and I want to build more. No SSD yet but it's in the plans for the end of the year upgrade along with a new gpu.

why do you watch this stuff? just seems like an awful use of your time.

this city is actually pretty great.

What the hell else is he doing, ever?

Actually, I'll sort of defend him. My first wife loved the Sunday Oscar and Golden Globe coverage. She liked seeing the dresses and the interviews with the celebrities. It was mind numbing but it's sort of like their sports. Wait, I think I just compared suited to a woman. Lemme try again. He loves movies and television and this is their big day. So why not watch it?

Wow, you like the city. So exciting

Wait, was he the hiring manager? Maybe it wasn't as "voluntary" as he's leading you to believe.

Kidding. Mostly.

The Oscars are the worst. You would not believe this town and how all the news channels get their panties all wet several days before just thinking about the "big event". All the rain we've had was causing lots of panty twisting over whether or not it would clear out before the red carpet happenings. Half of downtown gets shut down...just awful. All so the A listers can get together and fawn over each other.

No he wasnt the hiring manager. By all accounts its him going to work for a guy who used to work here. Apparently they ate lunch together every day. So its his buddy and its a smaller company with less work and after 30 years that probably sounds nice.

So two programs i use are not mac compatible. Set up a windows virtual machine, downloaded them. BOOM. less than an hour they are up and running. I was worried that was going to be a pain in the ass, and it wasn't at all.

I could see how someone who just turns on the computer for internet and e mail couldn't do it, but if I can do it most people should be able to.

So the one major hurdle I saw in Mac is gone. Now the only minor hurdle I have is the lack of the right click. Not sure what to do about that, I used the right click a lot more than I realized. I wonder if there is a workaround on that.

I've had three or four different people compliment me on my desktop background pictures which is just the generic architect backgrounds on windows 7. They always ask where I got them and I just say I don't know, the sample pictures folder.