I Called In Sick Today

I never had any success with it, but I was still applying to trading stuff (e.g. not a chance in hell either way) at the time. not being local is just another potential reason to get rejected.the hiring process seems completely, totally arbitrary. which is a little comical/sad considering how much effort HR departments put into it. my coworker/quasi-manager does a good portion of the in-person interviews for SS. she described the questions they judge people on, and I mean, it's not as idiotic as the fermi questions et al the big boys put you through, but it's just as irrelevant to the work. and of course, I can see the outcomes with this method first-hand, every day. true, the pay is terrible, but these people are all far worse than you'd expect, even adjusting for that. maybe it's because they want a degree for a job that requires no degree or intelligence whatsoever?

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

yeah, probably wouldn't be best to lie, but the more I think about it, the more I bet that it does have something to do with it, especially for lower level positions. they just have too many other options to worry about dealing with a relocation (that I'd probably ask for money for). guess that's just another reason that you really just have to know somebody inside a company to get there, for pretty much any given company. unless you know, you're actually a good employee, but that's definitely not my category.and the part about the hiring process that gets me the most is the initial resume screening. I can usually do fairly well in an interview setting, but when you have an hr rep that knows little to nothing about the position screening resumes with a word search program, auto-discarding any candidate without x-number of years in such and such position or whatever other requirements they decided on that day, it just makes it damn near impossible to get to where you can actually prove what you can do.and now I'm depressed again. guess I need to buy another pair of shoes. or maybe a new tent. rei's got a sale going on.

One of the things I've learned during my ongoing job search is that companies have become very lazy when it comes to hiring. Partly, at least, because of the job market being such a buyers market. The overuse of assessment tests, keyword searches and requiring a degree for positions where most if not all degrees are irrelevant is just an easy way to shrink the pool of candidates to a more manageable level while saving manpower that would be necessary to actually look over each resume and use sound judgment in deciding who to interview. It's like credit companies approving or denying applications bases solely on FICO scores rather than actually looking at the persons overall financial picture.Shake is absolutely correct in that simply responding to an online job posting is only slightly more likely to result in an interview than buying a lottery ticket is to making you rich. About 80% of the inquiries I've had have come from external recruiters that companies contract with to fill positions. All of these have found me through Linkedin, The Ladders or other networking sites. We've come a long way from the last time I was looking for a job when I found listings in the Sunday paper and faxed over my resume and got calls from about 75% of the ads I responded to.

You're old.
Ha, I sure feel it sometimes. But that was only 9 years ago. Though 9 years is an eternity in the technology age we live in now.Also, I think I've talked about this before but, beyond meeting the basic job requirements, HR people couldn't care less about your job duties. A resume that just looks like you copied and pasted the job descriptions of each position you've held are useless and will only result in your resume being tossed into the reject pile with the other 83 resumes they've rejected. You have to sell yourself by listing your accomplishments, special projects you were chosen for, promotions you've received etc... they want to know how well you performed in your last position, not what you actually did on a day to day basis.
I'll be at the beach from June 7-11. Like, literally on the beach. Hotel is a service road across from the sand. We have an ocean view room at the Wyndham on Deerfield Beach. It's my 40th Bday. Feel free to send the room some champagne. The reservation/room may not be in my name. Figure it out.
I'll just ask beans; I'm sure he knows. Wait, I don't want to send you champagne.Maybe nobody can get jobs because we post so much in a thread about calling in sick when you're not actually sick. Like karmic justice or something. Can we change the thread title to "I'm Totally a Good Employee?"

bar prep class registration today. why is this necessary? i don't know. but what i do know is i paid 3300 dollars (happy brvy?) for this bullshit so they better have some cookies or something.

So, I know I mentioned this last year, but my high school, Martensdale St. Marys, is on the verge of re-setting the longest win streak in high school baseball history.The school they are going back and forth with is Portsmouth, NH.Background.Portsmouth is a class 2A school (they call it Division 2 in NH), and Martensdale is a 1A school. Portsmouth plays Spring baseball and Martensdale plays summer baseball, due to weather issues.Anyway, Portsmouth lost a conference game on April 30th, so they currently have the longest win streak at 89 games in row.Martensdale opened their season yesterday with a conference game and 10 run ruled them in the 3rd inning. Their streak is currently at 88 games.The play again tonight at class 4A Des Moines East to tie the record.

wow that is probably the most boring think I've ever read
**** YOU SHAKE! I'm nervous!
Hey strat, you seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject; maybe you should consider a career in a nursery or something.Rando, I really have no idea how big your family is. Seems like you always got kids and step-kids dropping into your business. I don't know, maybe it's the same ones over and over.
Ha, just think of what Brvy's going to go through.
it still looks like you didn't dig the hole deep enough.that might not be a big deal though. the big deal is making sure it's getting enough water. people tend to kill trees in the first year because they underestimate how much water it takes to get them established. depends on the kind of tree, of course.
It's supposed to stick up some. It's all mulched now. (11 hours of mulching last weekend, ugh)
and randy, from the looks of that tree it's about time you added some weight training to your workout regimine.
It was around 500 lbs so yeah, I need work but if it was 475 or so.....
I feel like he only has one stepdaughter, but she's a huge pain in the ass, literally and figuratively.
Yep, one step daughter-huge pain in the ass, literally and figurativelyOne adopted daughter- pain in the ass, literally and figuratively with the grandson, but makes up for it by being pretty awesome and has a great personality.
Oh, and the son he's very proud of and the son's wife who may be an idiot, but she's his son's idiot, so he loves her.
One daughter-in-law. NIce ass, no pain, dumber than a boxoroxs.

Hey JeffPay is $15-17 an hour, we could fly you to SoCal for training and getyou an extended stay hotel or you could stay with me for a few days,and then get you a hotel in Vegas until you found a place. Job couldbe anywhere from 3-6 months, but they can't guarantee things won't gobad and end at anytime. We expect it to go for 3-6 months tho. Workhours would probably go from 5-1 or 6-2 to beat the heat so you'd havea lot of afternoon free time. The guy we had out there went down inflames, he had no experience and a possible learning disability so youcould tell he wasn't experienced. We promised to send someoneexperienced out there and it was obvious he wasn't.You're capable of learning the concepts in a week and going out andacting very experienced so I'm not worried about that. There would bea little faking though on your part. If you're interested and have adecent phone interview you could be out here next week if that worksfor you. Let me know what you think and think of any questions youmight have, I'll try to answer them for ya.

So did you respond with "Hell yes, sign me up!" before or after you took the time to post that here?

This will literally be monumental for the sick thread...If I didnt already know what it was my first thought would be some sort of sex slave trafficking baitJust remember, though....dont wear red bandannas in the Sunrise Manor area or blue ones West of Pecos to fifteen between Cheyenne and Owens...I think thats right... Youll be just fine either way

that baby is laughing its ass off.
That point wasn't ever in question. I was deflecting.