I Called In Sick Today

I have no idea either, pal. Speedz used to be my pseudo-state friend, but i have no idea where he is anymore..
It's just a random bar near Worcester.
“Kaffirs (blacks) are as a rule uncivilized – the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals.” -Mahatma Gandhi
If anyone but you posted this I'd assume it was to prove the point that Ghandi wasn't always right...but since it is coming from you, I'll assume that you're voicing your agreement with my position.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

It's just a random bar near Worcester.If anyone but you posted this I'd assume it was to prove the point that Ghandi wasn't always right...but since it is coming from you, I'll assume that you're voicing your agreement with my position.
This nearly brought me to tears.They have a higher order of intelligence that we don't give them credit for. When I came to understand this, I wasn't able to hunt anymore.As far as Gandhi being right or wrong, he did live in Africa for 20+ years, so I would venture his opinion on them is probably a lot more realistic than anyone here.

It amazes me how little credit people give animals for their intelligence...I think that some of it stems from the fact that we want to think we're special and somehow exceptions to the laws of nature. It's a bit sad, really.

I would spend any amount of money to cure my dog and, if trains were bearing down on my dog and any one of you (or anyone period) and I only had time to rescues one or the other, I'd scoop up my dog while muttering over my shoulder, "sorry bro', you're shit out of luck".

More importantly
Probably my biggest pet peeve term, and I don't really know why. "The correct phrase is most important, and the same goes for more important; they are often, if not always, shortened versions of what’s most important or more important than that.Importantly means in an important way, just as slowly means in a slow way. Using the full phrase what’s more importantly in a sentence illustrates the error well. What’s most importantly is that we try our best; this sentence doesn’t make sense. (Of course, it should be What’s most important is that….) It’s like saying What’s most clearly to us is that she’s trying her best; I’m sure it’s clear to everyone that the latter sentence is grammatically flawed, yet we give a pass to using importantly in the same way."
I would spend any amount of money to cure my dog and, if trains were bearing down on my dog and any one of you (or anyone period) and I only had time to rescues one or the other, I'd scoop up my dog while muttering over my shoulder, "sorry bro', you're shit out of luck".
I'm sure you hate being categorized with the plebs, but if there were no consequences, most people would react the same way.Not me, though. I'm awesome.
If multiple trains are bearing down on you, I wouldn't recommend doing the carry and walk and turn and talk thing all at once.
In this technological age, I live as if there is always a camera phone trained on me. I'd probably even add a barrel roll, even if completely necessary, so I could chuckle to myself about how badass it looks while watching it for the 400th time on Youtube and typing, under a pseudonym, in the comments section, "BARREL ROLL LOL newfag"
Probably my biggest pet peeve term, and I don't really know why. "The correct phrase is most important, and the same goes for more important; they are often, if not always, shortened versions of what’s most important or more important than that.Importantly means in an important way, just as slowly means in a slow way. Using the full phrase what’s more importantly in a sentence illustrates the error well. What’s most importantly is that we try our best; this sentence doesn’t make sense. (Of course, it should be What’s most important is that….) It’s like saying What’s most clearly to us is that she’s trying her best; I’m sure it’s clear to everyone that the latter sentence is grammatically flawed, yet we give a pass to using importantly in the same way."
But that's not how he used it. While "what's most importantly" is obviously wrong, "more importantly," is a perfectly acceptable adverbial clause. "More importantly" is most certainly not a shortened form of "what's more importantly". from The American Heritage Dictionary:"Some critics have objected to the use of the phrase more importantly in place of more important when one introduces an assertion, as in More importantly, no one is ready to step into the vacuum left by the retiring senator. But both forms are widely used by reputable writers, and there is no obvious reason for preferring one or the other.""
I'm sure you hate being categorized with the plebs, but if there were no consequences, most people would react the same way.Not me, though. I'm awesome.
Like my favorite teacher in Elementary school said at the end of the year as he went to his retirement, "Consequences can SUCK MY FAT DICK!" Well, he never said that, but he might have if he were the type of person that thought consequences could suck his fat dick.
But that's not how he used it. While "what's most importantly" is obviously wrong, "more importantly," is a perfectly acceptable adverbial clause. "More importantly" is most certainly not a shortened form of "what's more importantly". from The American Heritage Dictionary:"Some critics have objected to the use of the phrase more importantly in place of more important when one introduces an assertion, as in More importantly, no one is ready to step into the vacuum left by the retiring senator. But both forms are widely used by reputable writers, and there is no obvious reason for preferring one or the other.""
Well, a few things. First, yes, it is how he used it. He followed his own previous post with "More importantly," which is clearly an abbreviation of "more important than all of that". Furthermore, in almost all cases I've seen it used it is, I can't even recall an instance I have seen it otherwise, used in this way. It is an abbreviation for "more important than that". Which obviously should be "more important".In response to "reputable writers use it":"One online dictionary says that more important and more importantly are used in all kinds of text and by reputable writers, which means that there’s no reason not to use importantly.Well, I can think of one reason: it’s wrong.I agree that they are both used by reputable writers; however, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Writers aren’t necessarily grammarians, and many reputable writers and respected editors make some not-so-great grammar choices...I’ve seen editors print sentences such as "These kind of ideas"…. Does that mean that we should toss subject/verb agreement out the window? I’ve seen reputable writers use "reason why". Does that mean that it’s not a redundancy? The answer to each question is, of course, no."If someone says "more importantly, I performed x", they are saying that they did something in a more important way than they did something else. Which is fine if that's what they mean, which is never what they mean.
How many strippers is Shake going to bang during the trip?
  • Ha
  • Haha
  • Hahaha
  • Oh wait, does that include RAPE?

I've seen West Virginia strippers. I'm gonna go with 0.I've always been weirded out by the idea of strippers in non-strippery places. Vegas strippers, sure. New York City strippers, why not? But Route 30 in York, PA? The whole state of West Virginia? The 3:00 PM mid-week shift anywhere? That just ain't right.
1 Members: vbnautilusHurry up with your retort, I want to watch a movie!
It's gonna be a while I have to think about this one a bit. I understand where you are coming from with this, but I have a deep trust for my grammar sense and this one doesn't give me any sense of violation. I need to think through more formally why that is.
... but I have a deep trust for my grammar sense and this one doesn't give me any sense of violation. I need to think through more formally why that is.
Agreed, but from the opposite perspective. It offended my sense before I could formulate why.However, I plan to not do any of the heavy lifting whatsoever, watch a movie vapidly, give you time to come to a conclusion (probably that I'm right) by vigorously inspecting the formal aspects and then read your summation and respond, "ya".

I think what it comes down to is that the adverbial phrase modifies the entire sentence, not just the verb in the sentence. If we are really not willing to let adverbs at the beginning of a sentence refer to the sentence as a whole, we will also have to do away with the following constructions: Notably, he chose a woman as his top advisor. Honestly, there isn't anything you can do. Clearly he was the one who ate the banana. Oddly, he went to the refrigerator. Frankly, she lied to him. Hopefully she will come home. It's pretty clear that he didn't go oddly to the refrigerator. It was odd that he did so, just like it was important that speedz ate a ginormous hamburger. He didn't make his choice for a woman in a notable manner, it was notable that he made such a choice. If you insist that adverbs cannot be used in this way, you might have some technical justification for that, but I think these constructions are so idiomatic at this point that we are past the point of no return.

I think what it comes down to is that the adverbial phrase modifies the entire sentence, not just the verb in the sentence. If we are really not willing to let adverbs at the beginning of a sentence refer to the sentence as a whole, we will also have to do away with the following constructions: Notably, he chose a woman as his top advisor. Honestly, there isn't anything you can do. Clearly he was the one who ate the banana. Oddly, he went to the refrigerator. Frankly, she lied to him. Hopefully she will come home. It's pretty clear that he didn't go oddly to the refrigerator. It was odd that he did so, just like it was important that speedz ate a ginormous hamburger. He didn't make his choice for a woman in a notable manner, it was notable that he made such a choice. If you insist that adverbs cannot be used in this way, you might have some technical justification for that, but I think these constructions are so idiomatic at this point that we are past the point of no return.
I'm a little surprised you've completely omitted an important factor. Namely, "more".More notably, he chose a woman as his top advisory. More honestly, there isn't anything you can do. More clearly he was the one who ate the banana. More oddly, he went to the refrigerator. More frankly, she lied to him. More hopefully she will come home. Take a look now and tell me if your grammy-sense isn't tingling.Some of them just fall apart altogether, but even the ones that work would change to, "to be more frank", or "it is even more clear", it, "it was even more odd when he went to the refrigerator."More notably works best, but even that must be in relation to what precedes it and the sentence doesn't stand on it's own. I'd still prefer, "It is even more notable that", simply because it can be read as "he, with a demeanor now screaming 'NOTE ME', chose a woman as".

You have a good point, but are you now saying that "Importantly,..." is acceptable but "More importantly,...." is not? I don't see how that fits with your argument that importantly means "in an important way".

Are you now saying that "Importantly,..." is acceptable but "More importantly,...." is not? I don't see how that fits with your argument that importantly means "in an important way".
Not really, I was saying your examples don't work, and that you'd have to add "more" to your examples for them to be compelling to me.When I consider "more hopefully she will come home" I just feel like you're proving my point, as that would offend my sense to a greater degree than "more importantly".I mentioned I was not doing any heavy lifting here, and I'm just waiting for you to compel me, or fail and capitulate. So snap to it!Or wait till after I finish this movie and actually attempt construct an active position, rather than cherry picking yours.The only drawback to that, however, is the very real possibility I'll just fall asleep and this will drift into "ugh, the more importantly discussion is so yesterday."
I've seen West Virginia strippers. I'm gonna go with 0.I've always been weirded out by the idea of strippers in non-strippery places. Vegas strippers, sure. New York City strippers, why not? But Route 30 in York, PA? The whole state of West Virginia? The 3:00 PM mid-week shift anywhere? That just ain't right.
I've seen West Virginia strippers. I was at a coffee shop in Hurricane, WV once with a former Harvard college-professor-turned-tobacco farmer, discussing how Faust conflates with the broader principles of agriculture, when we decided to undertake a brief field study on the matter. My award wining white-paper on the topic concluded that indeed, Strippers in West Virginia are less than desirable- relative to strippers in other places. The idea of strippers in non-strippery places weirds me out. Strippers in the Pigalle region of Paris makes perfect sense. I was once in Pigalle sampling a brusque Swiss camambert on a curiously dry but strangely satisfying stone-ground wheat cracker when a local stripper passed by the quaint, sidewalk cafe where I was sitting. It seemed naturally libertine and synergistic, seeing a stripper in Pigalle, but Strippers in Route 30 in York, PA? I'm not so sure. Once, on my way to a Renaissance Fair/Wine Tasting, I decided to stop into the York, PA library to investigate rumors that an inscribed copy of Siddhartha was on the shelves. The librarian told me it had been checked out by a Ms. Candy Wanx, who worked at "The Doll House", a local strip joint. I went in to find Ms. Wanx and while I waited (reading a GREAT article in The New Yorker), I couldn't help but notice the quality there wasn't much better than what I encountered and noted in my award winning white-paper.
Not really, I was saying your examples don't work, and that you'd have to add "more" to your examples for them to be compelling to me.When I consider "more hopefully she will come home" I just feel like you're proving my point, as that would offend my sense to a greater degree than "more importantly".I mentioned I was not doing any heavy lifting here, and I'm just waiting for you to compel me, or fail and capitulate. So snap to it!Or wait till after I finish this movie and actually attempt construct an active position, rather than cherry picking yours.The only drawback to that, however, is the very real possibility I'll just fall asleep and this will drift into "ugh, the more importantly discussion is so yesterday."
Unfortunately, I am falling asleep. (note that I am not falling asleep in an unfortunate manner. at least, that remains to be seen. )
Unfortunately, I am falling asleep. (note that I am not falling asleep in an unfortunate manner. at least, that remains to be seen. )
Before you fall asleep: I'm up all night with my shitty Tascam Porta-2 casette 4 track trying to work a dilruba into "Storm" by 'GY!BE" and can't seem to get the tones to line up on the instrument, even though they line up in my mind and I'm certain they will line up perfectly once I execute better. Do you know the best way to rosin the bow?