I Called In Sick Today

It has nothing to do with it being 'worth' anything. I'll just give it to he museum in Skokie when I'm done, if they don't already have a copy.There's actually a guy in my neighborhood who was a concentration camp alumni. Tattoo, whole nine. He was Polish, not Jewish, and doesn't talk about it.There aren't but a handful of those people left who saw that shit first hand. We should really reach out to them (the tiny fraction that remain) and hear what they have to say. In more 10 years, encountering one will be a needle in 100 haystacks. 15 or 20, they'll all be gone.
Once I figured out he did not fit the profile of our clients (which was about 5 minutes in) I could have easily gotten him out of my office and he would have thanked me for my time and I would have been back here complaining about not getting sex or describing a recent shitting experience. You know, the important stuff in my life.But instead, I just asked a couple questions and listened. An hour later I had listened to a first hand account of a concentration camp, a signed book, and for the first time in I don't know how long, I am excited to read something that is non-fiction.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I am excited to read something that is non-fiction.
Whether or not its fiction depends on who you ask.Seriously, though, I guarantee you that guy would have no problem getting another copy of his book out into the world. If by any chance you still have his contact info, it might not hurt anything. He'd probably be thrilled. Like I said, I'll pay whatever costs are associated.
Whether or not its fiction depends on who you ask.Seriously, though, I guarantee you that guy would have no problem getting another copy of his book out into the world. If by any chance you still have his contact info, it might not hurt anything. He'd probably be thrilled. Like I said, I'll pay whatever costs are associated.
I'll see what I can do.
Even out of the fraction that's left, there's a percentage of them that won't (or can't) talk about the experience, like the guy in your neighborhood, and I don't blame them. My grandfather was that way about the war (he was on the beach at Normandy) until he got to the point where he started getting a bit loopy and lost his filter. But at this point I think it's all fairly well documented...it's just that people have to care enough to find the information and stories that are already out there. It's too bad that you learn about this kind of thing in high school, when most kids are too sociopathic to really think about what happened, and then most adults are too busy (or like to think of themselves as too busy) to continue learning about...anything.
All the facts are documented but all the stories aren't and even though they all have similar themes, they're unique as a fingerprint. From each, there is something to be learned and most are lost forever. The organic, anecdotal stuff is immeasurably more powerful than figures, percentages or the like. One individuals story trumps all of that and to lose one without it being told (or, widely told) is a shame. This guy wrote a book, so he understands that and to whatever degree of whatever significance it may bear, his story is 'out there', but it's still important to reach out to the ones who are still alive so more questions can be asked. The museum in Skokie may have a copy of his book, they may not. I don't know. If not, they should and the worst case scenario is the old guy kicks off and the crates of unsold books he has in his basement wind up in a dumpster or donated to goodwill to be .25 cent bathroom reading.
I'll see what I can do.
Just ask him if he knows for certain if the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, Illinois has any archived copies of his book. If not, have him send some there and I will pay for the books, his shipping costs and his time.In googling, I get the distinct sense this book had a minuscule print run and he probably still has most of them.

When I walk my dogs, I get a lot of (unwanted) attention. There are several comments that just echo in my ears since every third person has the same original thought: "hey man, do those dogs smoke weed???" guffaw guffaw. "are those dogs from jamaica??". But there's one question I get asked pretty often that I just don't know how to answer. "Are those dreadlocks?"Well... what in hell is this question getting at? If were to say no, what would that mean? I mean obviously they are cords of matted hair. Isn't "dreadlock" just a word for that? I think I just answered my question. I need to say No.

I know, right? I mean, you pick a breed purely for it's sunny disposition, and this is the crap you get. Sucks.
Actually I picked them for their mad herding skillz. At the time I was planning on picking up some sheep and a lot of grass, but I never got around to it.

I think we need to hear more about these uniforms...And, yes, youth sports are stupid.yes. I had fun on my break. thanks. Wedding was super great.Red: pretty okThe Social Network: prettay awesomeoh nice. I want to see this Wahlberg/Bale boxing moviecoming back and finding out mid trim that my beard trimmer is going to run out of batteries: not so bad since I can at least charge tonight and do it in the morning.btw, here's a funny story: Friend moved and didn't need his microwave anymore so Boom! I've got one. A few days later I'm using it and fifteen seconds after I turn it on, my power goes out. I should really send this to Sal to make him feel better.also, tough choice on the works. one is super far away with better hours. two is close with kinda crappy hours but is more fun socially. Probably two since working late isn't that big of a deal (also allows the day time for interviews and such) and who the hell wants to do an hour commute for that type of job? I know there's a lot more involved but yes. that's it.I miss anything while I was gone?hmm. I think I've mixed up my threads...

Really if anyone wants to go let me know. Great American Ballpark is a newer park and pretty awesome. It sits on the river and there's tons of cool bars and restaurants around it (downtown and over the bridge in KY) as well.
We would definitely be up for it, however, the wife is having season ending surgery on Friday. Doubling down with a Bengals game would have made it perfect.
There's actually a guy in my neighborhood who was a concentration camp alumni. Tattoo, whole nine. He was Polish, not Jewish, and doesn't talk about it.There aren't but a handful of those people left who saw that shit first hand. We should really reach out to them (the tiny fraction that remain) and hear what they have to say. In more 10 years, encountering one will be a needle in 100 haystacks. 15 or 20, they'll all be gone.
The first suit my dad bought for me was at Irv's where just about every salesman had a tatoo on the inside of his forearm. I was clueless at the time as to what they stood for.
You know what are fucking crazy? Kidneys. That's right, kidneys. Aren't you guys happy I'm back in school?
I had the best liver and onions Labor Day weekend. Sliced very thin and grilled, grilled cipollini onions, sautéed mushrooms, balsamico. Tasty.
lol jets suck
I loved Hard Knocks, but love to see 'ol Rex get a sub sandwich his foot shoved in his mouth.

OK Scram, I sent the guy an e mail. So will see what he says.BTW in my e mail you are a Jewish friend who's family was affected by the holocaust and you do everything you can to preserve history.I left out the part that your a felon and a rapist*.*I'm just assuming you're a rapist, or at minimum have the propensity for rape.

OK Scram, I sent the guy an e mail. So will see what he says.BTW in my e mail you are a Jewish friend who's family was affected by the holocaust and you do everything you can to preserve history.I left out the part that your a felon and a racist.
F'd

Okay, got 6 tickets for the first home Reds playoff game, which obviously leaves 4 available. As it stands right now it would be here on Friday, Oct 8th, We'll know more in the week to come. They were $65 a piece and are on the right field line 4 rows from the field so they should be great seats. I'll give ya'll some time to decide and try to work out a road trip. Any questions on lodging or who gets to snuggle with me can done by PM's.

Our 8 year anniversary today. Can't wait for dinner. Can't decide on what to get thoughhttp://www.forterestaurant.com/
Summer Gazpacho with a glass of Torressella Prosecco ( the Veuve is brutally overpriced)Bacon-wrapped spanish chorizo-stuffed medjool dates Braised Short Ribs wtih the Laetitia ‘limite’, arroyo grande 07
That's right, kidneys. Aren't you guys happy I'm back in school?
Am I?Wait, I meant: AM I?!?!But yeah, kidneys lol,
Actually I picked them for their mad herding skillz. At the time I was planning on picking up some sheep and a lot of grass, but I never got around to it.
Couple more kids should suffice.
Who the hell is this Randy Reed guy? I will wait to see what tickets Bones got before I make a decision.
haha, dammit.
Summer Gazpacho with a glass of Torressella Prosecco ( the Veuve is brutally overpriced)Bacon-wrapped spanish chorizo-stuffed medjool dates Braised Short Ribs wtih the Laetitia ‘limite’, arroyo grande 07
Nah, we'll probably just have hot dogs and beers at the game, I don't think they have that.
Our 8 year anniversary today.
Happy Anniversary.Whenever I see a car that has the "Just Married" written on it, I always check out who is in the car fully expecting the girl to be very attractive. But that's probably not a reasonable expectation considering the sheer amount of ugly people in the world. On the other hand, you're never going to look better than on your wedding day, right? But then again, by the time you're in the just married car you're usually at the end of a long day, so you might look a bit haggard. Unless it's the next day in which case it could go either way. Regardless, I expect her to look good.
Happy Anniversary.Whenever I see a car that has the "Just Married" written on it, I always check out who is in the car fully expecting the girl to be very attractive. But that's probably not a reasonable expectation considering the sheer amount of ugly people in the world. On the other hand, you're never going to look better than on your wedding day, right? But then again, by the time you're in the just married car you're usually at the end of a long day, so you might look a bit haggard. Unless it's the next day in which case it could go either way. Regardless, I expect her to look good.
Thank you.I do the same and lately the women have been HUGE. But most people around here are huge so it stands to reason.