Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Two games into the softball season I'm 5 for 6. Easily my best start ever.

Move into my new place over memorial day weekend, so I'm kind of excited about that.
Are you going to make it a "I wish I was still in college" place or a "I'm trying to be a grownup" place?
he's all growns up and he's all growns up and he's all growns up
Hank!**I think it's been a while since we've seen Hank. Either that, or there's a new avatar involved.Ok, so I'd like to take a minute to give a short lesson on a medical issue that almost certainly will affect you or someone you love (if it hasn't already). If a woman (or man) is fortunate enough to survive breast cancer, there are certain drugs prescribed to her over the course of the next many years, or even the rest of her life, in order to lower the odds of the cancer returning. One main objective of these drugs is to lower the amount of estrogen in the body (by blocking enzymes that help produce it), because, short story, breast cancer cells love estrogen. Love it! I'm bringing this up because a few things breast cancer survivers are told is to take calcium supplements and exercise. If she has a doctor that's not on her shit, the reason for this can be skimmed over, and some women will forego the calcium and exercise because they think it's not that big a deal. It is a pretty big deal, and here's why:An important issue here is that the body is always building and breaking down bone for our entire lives. The key is that when we're adults the building and breaking are balanced, so our bones stay strong. Estrogen is a hormone that, among many other things, increases the level of calcitonin (another hormone) in the body. Calcitonin, among other things, turns on cells that build bones by shoving calcium and phosphate into them. Low estrogen means low calcitonin means bones aren't built. Estrogen also tells the liver to activate Vitamin D, which, through many mechanisms, increases the calcium levels in the body. Low estrogen means low Vitamin D means low calcium. The parathyroid gland sees the low calcium and releases PTH (parathyroid hormone), which tries to increase calcium levels in the body, and one way it does that is by turning on cells that break down bone, releasing calcium and phosphate. Low calcium means high PTH means bones are broken down.Now we've got the body decreasing the building of bone while increasing the breakdown of bone. This, after a while, causes some pretty nasty osteoporosis. Osteoporosis, the thinning of bones, sucks, and you don't know you have it until you're already kind of screwed and have all kinds of pain. So, our woman in question needs to take calcium supplements so the body has enough to balance out all the stuff outlined above and keep the skeletal system healthy. Exercise, I'm not quite sure how exactly, turns on certain mechanisms that allow all that extra calcium from the supplements to be put into bone (instead of just getting urinated out of the system). So, tell your mother, wife, friend, etc., not to fuck around with the vitamins (sometimes Vitamin D is prescribed as well) and supplements that are prescribed during and after the treatment phase for breast, or any, cancer.
b
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!
Hey-o sickies.I started work on monday. It's not bad, a lot of shit I need to learn. My main job function seems like it will be pretty easy once I get a little better feel for it. My secondary function seems like it will be a little more difficult as I have to learn about 5 different programs and procedures for them, but I imagine it will get easier once I become more familiar. Just a lot of tedious work that takes time. I'm optimistic though because I see a lot of possible places for improvement in the job and everybody tells me that my position is a good place to learn a lot about the company and is a good stepping stone to a better job within the company. Also, my boss told me I got 100% on the logic/critical thinking test they gave me during the interview process. So that's something. Move into my new place over memorial day weekend, so I'm kind of excited about that.
Where is your job? DSM? Where is your new place?Speedz: more.

I don't understand British politics, but apparently David Cameron is the new PM, which is great news.

Could someone who doesn't mind do me a favor and read my latest blog post (link in sig)? It talks about writing, which is what I'm going to be teaching in a few months. I wrote it and as soon as I posted it thought, "Am I saying something useful, or are these observations painfully obvious to everyone?" Thanks. [brv, one of the older ones still up talks a bit about CBT, if you're interested.]

Could someone who doesn't mind do me a favor and read my latest blog post (link in sig)? It talks about writing, which is what I'm going to be teaching in a few months. I wrote it and as soon as I posted it thought, "Am I saying something useful, or are these observations painfully obvious to everyone?" Thanks. [brv, one of the older ones still up talks a bit about CBT, if you're interested.]
Will gladly do, but I don't have signatures enabled, and am too lazy to temporarily enable and then disable them. Care to post the link in a post?Also, lol at somebody who uses 20 posts per page. What is this, amateur hour?(I love that part in Seinfeld when Kramer takes over the Merv Griffin Show and George wants to bring the squirrel onto the show and Kramer says, "Two animal acts in one show... what is this, amateur hour?" )
My take: too many examples. The first one or two made the point just fine, you lost me after that by saying the same thing. After a while it kinda seemed like your just wanted to show different interests of yours and why they are worth liking. My high school English teacher made the point by having us all come up with as many different words for "nice" as possible. We weren't allowed to ever use "nice" and to this day I avoid using it because of her teaching. I don't think the Pet Shop Boys fanaticism has the same impact, personally.ETA: So, it is a lesson worth teaching and not necessarily 'obvious', but the fact that I learnt it in high school suggests maybe college students are also above that level? Either way I'm sure you'll learn during your training what sort of thing you're suppose to teach.
Are you going to make it a "I wish I was still in college" place or a "I'm trying to be a grownup" place?
I'm actually subleasing the place from a kid and have a roommate. Currently though, it seems like your average college apartment with mismatched furniture and some beer posters on the wall, so...ya.He also has a job though and works long hours, so I doubt we will be having random parties at midnight like my current roommates decided to last night. So, I am a little cranky right now because I was unable to get back to sleep for 2 hours after being woke up and I need a solid 8 hours as it is, much less when I'm drastically changing my sleep schedule. Kind of looking forward to not having to deal with that.
Where is your job? DSM? Where is your new place?Speedz: more.
It's on the west side of DSM (just before West DSM, I think). My new apt will be in Urbandale, over by the Buc's arena.
Will gladly do, but I don't have signatures enabled, and am too lazy to temporarily enable and then disable them. Care to post the link in a post?
Just click on her profile.1gnaiu.jpg
Internet Explorer. Nice.
He's at work. Most businesses/companies don't install Firefox on their computers. That's what I find anyway. My university just has an old version of IE on all the computers, so it always has this message about needing to update.
[brv, one of the older ones still up talks a bit about CBT, if you're interested.]
Listen I really don't need to know who here may or may not be interested in cock and ball torture.

Thanks. :club::ts:4h:5c:3h:qh:jh:D:D:D If you could be present for any fictional sporting event from a movie (like the championship game in Hoosiers), which would it be? Has to be fictional, so you can't choose the US beating Russia from Miracle or the bobsled run from Cool Runnings.Edit: Although I guess Hoosiers was based on a true story too, so maybe that doesn't qualify either.

George Orwell's claim that precision in language is vital because precision in language is the outward sign of precision in thought, and precision in thought gives us our political freedoms, our morals, and all our higher thoughts. Vagueness, sloppiness, imprecision, or fuzziness in thought spills over into language, but worse, it spills over into life. Language is the primary means by which we negotiate our presence in the world. It matters, a lot.Well, this would be why I am not qualified to comment other than to say I really enjoyed reading it.
If you could be present for any fictional sporting event from a movie (like the championship game in Hoosiers), which would it be? Has to be fictional, so you can't choose the US beating Russia from Miracle or the bobsled run from Cool Runnings.Edit: Although I guess Hoosiers was based on a true story too, so maybe that doesn't qualify either.
does fighter piloting qualify as a sport? if so i pick being in the control room at the end of top gun with strickland.if not, i pick sitting next to rene russo as jake lays down the bunt that allows willie mays hays to score from second in major league. being in the bar with the janitor from scrubs for that game would be fine also.
If you could be present for any fictional sporting event from a movie (like the championship game in Hoosiers), which would it be? Has to be fictional, so you can't choose the US beating Russia from Miracle or the bobsled run from Cool Runnings.
I guess I'll be on the winning women's baseball team in League of Their Own. My husband has just got home from the war and is watching on the sidelines waiting for our passionate reunion. It's all so ~emotional~.
does fighter piloting qualify as a sport?
Maybe in some sort of apocalyptic future.You could go with the final game of Running Man.I sort of posed this question without thinking about what my answer would be.Maybe the final game of The Natural (movie version, not the book version). Or Rocky vs Apollo I.Is it a lock that brv picks a cornfield game from Field of Dreams?

I just realised League of Their Own is also based on real life, darn it. Ooooh better idea. Car racing is a sport right?Death Race 2000 (original version) - I'll be one of the people that isn't killed, obviously.

Thanks. :club::ts:4h:5c:3h:qh:jh:D:D:D If you could be present for any fictional sporting event from a movie (like the championship game in Hoosiers), which would it be? Has to be fictional, so you can't choose the US beating Russia from Miracle or the bobsled run from Cool Runnings.Edit: Although I guess Hoosiers was based on a true story too, so maybe that doesn't qualify either.
johnny vs daniel karate tournament. well that's the culminating match so I guess I should say cobra kai vs miyagi do at the all valley championships to be a bit more complete.
If you could be present for any fictional sporting event from a movie (like the championship game in Hoosiers), which would it be? Has to be fictional, so you can't choose the US beating Russia from Miracle or the bobsled run from Cool Runnings.Edit: Although I guess Hoosiers was based on a true story too, so maybe that doesn't qualify either.
I think the question is flawed in that almost all sports movies are based on real life. My immediate thought, without thinking about 'true story vs fake', was Rudy.(My friend Jamie was in the crowd during the filming, but I would like to be at the actual game) You nailed my 2nd thought.