I Called In Sick Today

you could look up quantitative easing online, but it might not make much sense so i'll try to explain in lay terms.essentially, the economy is still fucked and the fed currently has rates at 0% so they can't ease any further, but they are going to start buying treasuries (up to $300 billion) which will effectively lower rates. it's kind of like creating money out of thin air in order to hopefully make it easier for consumers and businesses to begin lending once again. japan did it in the 90s (because they had crippling deflation), bank of england started doing it a couple weeks ago. bernanke and co made it sound like they weren't gonna do it, and then they announced today that they are, so treasuries (what i trade) gapped straight the fuck up in a move more violent than anything i'd ever seen. and shit was just gapping around for like an hour. total insanity.
well that sounds like a good idea.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

if the treasury is resorting to buying their own treasuries, doesn't that mean there isn't another buyer? that can't be good.
no, the auctions (which have been record issuance obviously) have been well attended and well bid. people (azn people 4rl) still want to own u.s. treasuries pretty badly. this is just one more bullet in the gun of monetary policy that the fed has at its disposal to lower rates and bernanke has shown he doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who didn't do enough to try to pull the economy up by its bootstraps. it's really a fine temporary play; the only potential downside is inflationary risk, but seeing as the economy is currently contracting at ~6% that isn't much of a concern...
Sometimes I feel like a real life Larry David (in Curb Your Enthusiasm, not as himself). I mean well and have good intentions, but somehow whilst trying to be friendly and polite I end up doing something that either offends someone, or just make for a really awkward moment.Today's example:Today strat and I went to a St Patricks Day parade in his hometown, and it was a lot of fun. I was waving back at all the little kids in the cars because I thought they would like that and it would make them feel important. About halfway through the parade came a lot of people driving their farming equipment as part of the procession. I saw a little boy about 4 years old with a mini farmers cap on riding on the lap of one of the tractor drivers. He was such a cute boy that I wanted to point him out to strat, and just as I pointed my finger at him he looked at me, and I noticed that he had deformed arms. I almost started to wave at him but then realised that he couldn't wave back, and suddenly I felt terrible because he probably thought I was pointing at his arms.
I hate awkward moments like that. It's like the time (okay third time) I asked a woman when she was due and she wasn't pregnant.
Good to hear the cancer news RR, now go out and celebrate with some carcinogens.Lefty, Sedona has pretty nice scenary, restaurants and is pretty laid back but nice is ghey
trying to quit smoking while dealing with dumbasses all day is teh suck
Does it make it easier that it's going to be $7 for a pack of cigs soon?
My cartons just went up $7 a carton. I save UPC symbols and have a couple hundred worth of coupons on the way though. Can't waste that quiting can I? I saw the oncologist this morning and everything again is fine. I have to go back in 3 months for another colonoscopy and catscan on the lungs to check out that little spot that showed up. He thought it was nothing, (most likely) and too small for other tests.He did say that I should quit smoking, (no shit) since apparently my lungs and other innards lookedlike the inside of a Bohemian ganja factory. Fuck everyone, let me rid of once damn vice at a time!He actually said if I didn't quit I'd end up on an oxygen machine. Meh, I said if it gets that bad I'll buy a used set offcraigslist. Would being the cranky old guy wandering around towing my oxygen tank while smoking be THAT BAD OF A LOOK?C'MON!
I don't think I could come up with 15 people who are "most important" to me. If you take out family, I know I couldn't come up with 15.
agreed.
I think they are both actually really good people. They were just tired of me, didn't know how to handle the situation, and decided it would be easiest to wash their hands of me. My problem was their decision to HIDE their decision, but that's just weakness, maybe, or immaturity.
So what did you do?
Sadly, if I had to extend my list to 15, there are probably a handful of people here who have a bigger impact on my life than, you know, people I actually know. Seriously, I probably care more about the Shake/Speedz/Cindy/Ouch reaction to a joke I make here than I do about what my 15th-best friend thinks about me. That's not because Shake/Speedz/Cindy/Ouch are particularly special, but rather because I have no friends and live a pleasntly solitary existence.
It's funny because I know you aren't trying to alienate anyone, especially the sickies who have been here from the beginning, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that are hurt and/or disappointed that they weren't listed in this post. I would never expect to be listed, since I've only recently been posting in here, but even if I had been here from the beginning I am confident that I wouldn't be listed. I think the reason is because I'm simply not on par with you guys intellectually. If we knew each other in real life, I'm confident this would be different. I just suck at expressing myself through the written word. Also, there is no way I'm higher than low to mid 80's, where S/S/C and you (wang) are low (sal) to high (everyone else) 90's on the Wang personality scoring system. (just kidding Sal) The point of this paragraph is to say that it's funny that people I actually care about some internet dude respecting them. It's a brave new world.The reason I think that you are very well liked is because of how honest you are. You can be a really smart guy, but really 'closed'... and people won't be attracted to you. But if you have high intelligence and near 100% transparency that is a formula that works.ARRRRGGG! I suck so bad at writing. I wish I could just post an audio clip instead of typing all this out. It's frustrating when I know I'm not fully getting across my thoughts. One of my best friends in the world, I only really knew for a summer. But we worked together about 60 hours a week and were both intelligent and completely transparent with each other. He moved away and I just got an email from him last week:
Hi John,I am glad I was able to find you as well. It has been entirely too long. I still have not met anyone who has a heart the size of yours and I do not mean physical size, but so unconditionally loving and thoughtful. My wife comes close, but you still have her beat:)You have a beautifully family! Your eldest son looks just like you. Does he also need six alarms to wake him up in the morning just like his dad:) How have you been and what have you been up to?I will try to give you a quick recap since the last time we spoke. In 2001, I graduated ASU Summa Cum Laude of my class (I never got less than a A in 5.5 years of college, can you believe it?) in Finance, moved to Washington State to work for Boeing as a Business Analyst and got married to my beautiful wife (who I met on the net) and her daughter (4 yrs old at the time, 2 years old when I first met her). A lot of change that year:)9/11 rolled around and Boeing announced a 30% workforce reduction, I made it through 6 rounds of layoffs and then I decided to leave Boeing before they laid me off and went to work for a nonprofit hospital in Olympia, WA. A year later my family I had the unfortunate experience of losing our first daughter, who was stillborn at 9 months. No direct cause was identified for the death, but my wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes very late in the preg, so they thought it might have been complications related to the delayed diagnosis. She also used to weigh less than 100 pounds and the doc was concerned about her lack of fat stores during pregnancy. As you can imagine, this was one of the most difficult experiences I have had.A couple of years later after my wife worked with a physician focused on helping women, who are high risk, have positive outcomes, we tried again. About the same time, I started working for #*., the largest provider of #& services in the US, as a Financial Analyst. Awesome company, but I had a terrible boss. About a year after working for **&$&$*, my son, (#*$*& was born. He was such a blessing and is quite the character.Two years after he was born (2007), I landed a Job at *%&%&*$, as a Senior Finance Manager. I now live in $&*$#, WA. In February, we added a sixth member to our family; we had a little girl (*#*#*). She is such a cutie and is growing by the minute. Aside from working a lot and taking care of the family, I spend a lot of time hiking in the mountains and I have become a huge cycling enthusiast (I rode the Seattle to Portland last year, 205 miles in one day).I am sure you are wondering about my religious status. To be honest, I do not practice any religion currently and really do not think much about it anymore. I am sure that is not the answer you wanted to hear:)Sorry for the long e-mail, but you know me, I live for details. Let me know how you are doing. I would love to hear about you and your family. I am excited to hear about your experiences overseas:)Take care,Nathan
Anyway, the point being... this guy and I were such close friends that it's like we haven't even missed a beat. I think it's because we were totally honest with each other about everything... and you strike me as that kind of guy. People are attracted to that, even if they don't understand why they are being attracted.
I'm sure there are plenty of people that are hurt and/or disappointed that they weren't listed in this post. I would never expect to be listed, since blah blah blah
I'm on the list because I'm awesome.
agreed.So what did you do?It's funny because I know you aren't trying to alienate anyone, especially the sickies who have been here from the beginning, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that are hurt and/or disappointed that they weren't listed in this post. I would never expect to be listed, since I've only recently been posting in here, but even if I had been here from the beginning I am confident that I wouldn't be listed. I think the reason is because I'm simply not on par with you guys intellectually. If we knew each other in real life, I'm confident this would be different. I just suck at expressing myself through the written word. Also, there is no way I'm higher than low to mid 80's, where S/S/C and you (wang) are low (sal) to high (everyone else) 90's on the Wang personality scoring system. (just kidding Sal)The reason I think that you are very well liked is because of how honest you are. You can be a really smart guy, but really 'closed'... and people won't be attracted to you. But if you have high intelligence and near 100% transparency that is a formula that works.One of my best friends in the world, I only really knew for a summer. But we worked together about 60 hours a week and were both intelligent and completely transparent with each other. He moved away and I just got an email from him last week:Anyway, the point being... this guy and I were such close friends that it's like we haven't even missed a beat. I think it's because we were totally honest with each other about everything... and you strike me as that kind of guy. People are attracted to that, even if they don't understand why they are being attracted.
I agree with your assessment. His combination of attributes definately is unique and thus Wangy, or Wanginess, or damn, where's that perfect word when you need it?I have a few friends that I've kept in touch with over the years. One is like the Big Lebowski in looks and lifestyle. A good friend is one that no matter what has happened over the years the conversation picks up where it left off last time.
Or he wants to hit that ASS!
fed is quantitative easing, craziest day i've seen in my (sort of) short career.
I just saw this. Wow.I am curious about something. With short term Treasuries trading at virtually zero as of recent. That money will eventually find it's way to other investments, stock, corp bonds, MF's, ETF's, real estate etc. People are not going to be happy with the safety of treasuries with no interest for very long. My assumption has been that in the next 12-18 months we could see treasuries trading at largely discounted rates, meaning those people who fled to treasury funds could actually see 10-20% decline in NAV. If my prior assumption is correct (which it may not be) how does this quant easing effect this?

I was gonna post mine after the draft as well, since I'm not in any sickie pools. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell about a few hints you've dropped, they're somewhat similar in several aspects.

I just saw this. Wow.I am curious about something. With short term Treasuries trading at virtually zero as of recent. That money will eventually find it's way to other investments, stock, corp bonds, MF's, ETF's, real estate etc. People are not going to be happy with the safety of treasuries with no interest for very long. My assumption has been that in the next 12-18 months we could see treasuries trading at largely discounted rates, meaning those people who fled to treasury funds could actually see 10-20% decline in NAV. If my prior assumption is correct (which it may not be) how does this quant easing effect this?
IT JUST DOES OKAY!
Peter: "I am well skilled in the arts of war and military tactics, sire"(Wang throws Peter out the window, murdering him.)
FREEDOM!!!!!

To further assess our Wang's personality profile I used a thorough investigative process involving everyone, I mean no one exceptmy own awesome personality assessing ability from years of donking dumbass customers/waitresses in the face with twenties and using my superior computer and graphic analysis I give you the Wang personality profile.nice.jpg

The blah blah blah hurt deep inside. I was being vulnerable, have you NO HEART!?
The blah blah blah hurt deep inside. I was being vulnerable, have you NO HEART!
I was about to answer this until I realized it wasn't a question.
One of my best friends in the world, I only really knew for a summer. But we worked together about 60 hours a week and were both intelligent and completely transparent with each other. He moved away and I just got an email from him last week:Anyway, the point being... this guy and I were such close friends that it's like we haven't even missed a beat. I think it's because we were totally honest with each other about everything... and you strike me as that kind of guy. People are attracted to that, even if they don't understand why they are being attracted.
Nice letter. Mid-life crisis.He wants you.
Anyway, the point being... this guy and I were such close friends that it's like we haven't even missed a beat. I think it's because we were totally honest with each other about everything... and you strike me as that kind of guy. People are attracted to that, even if they don't understand why they are being attracted.
talk about a brokeback mountain type situation. his wifes heart just cant love like yours.

I think I found Jesus today, I have heard of how people have found the lord but not until now have I realized that he shows up at the most akward of times.I was travelling for a few hours across the desert between Arizona and my home in california, I had grown hungry on my journey, for what I did not know yet, but I knew I had to stop to figure out what I was longing for. After some contemplation I thought I found what I needed, so I continued on my trek.A little further down the road on that lonely path I look down and right then and there I saw jesus starring back at me in my Mcflurry. His rosery made from Oreos and his beard was vanilla swirl. At that moment I knew where Jesus fit in my life, and it was in my stomach. Jesus was everything I thought he would be, full of Oreo and vanilla trans fat goodness. I will never forget the day I found Jesus. And ate him.

5 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)3 Members: Bizzle, SBriand, Tactical BearAim?

I think I found Jesus today, I have heard of how people have found the lord but not until now have I realized that he shows up at the most akward of times.I was travelling for a few hours across the desert between Arizona and my home in california, I had grown hungry on my journey, for what I did not know yet, but I knew I had to stop to figure out what I was longing for. After some contemplation I thought I found what I needed, so I continued on my trek.A little further down the road on that lonely path I look down and right then and there I saw jesus starring back at me in my Mcflurry. His rosery made from Oreos and his beard was vanilla swirl. At that moment I knew where Jesus fit in my life, and it was in my stomach. Jesus was everything I thought he would be, full of Oreo and vanilla trans fat goodness. I will never forget the day I found Jesus. And ate him.
and Diet Coke is his Blood.
<br>It's funny because I know you aren't trying to alienate anyone, especially the sickies who have been here from the beginning, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that are hurt and/or disappointed that they weren't listed in this post. I would never expect to be listed, since I've only recently been posting in here, but even if I had been here from the beginning I am confident that I wouldn't be listed. I think the reason is because I'm simply not on par with you guys intellectually.<br><br>The reason I think that you are very well liked is because of how honest you are. You can be a really smart guy, but really 'closed'... and people won't be attracted to you. But if you have high intelligence and near 100% transparency that is a formula that works.<br>
I just picked four old-school sickies that I have the most contact with, probably, and who I feel enjoy my crap. Like Ron, for example, doesn't dislike me, but I would never include him there because (a) he thinks I'm full of crap and ( B) we have reached an equilibrium where we pretty much never respond to each other's posts even though we post here a lot (not because we dislike each other, but rather because we simply don't have anything to say to each other). I could have listed everyone (getting Beans's approval, for example, is like getting a hug from your father), and almost tagged an "et. al." to the end of that list, but didn't. Personally, brvheart, I like you. You're a devout, talk-about-it-and-shit Christian and I'm an atheist (actually, I'm an agnostic with strong, strong atheistic leanings, but that is totally irrelevant) who has an intense personal bias held towards religious people. I also don't give a shit about nothing, and have no problem ignoring people I deem irrelevant, so the fact that I've said "I like you" should be read as a pretty indicator that I do, indeed, like you. For whatever reason. My not mentioning you had nothing to do with your intellectual capabilities (for example: Ouch is probably an idiot or something), and everything to do with the fact that Speedz/Ouch/Shake/Cindy have simply had the more interaction with me for longer. I like Guapocito, too -- and have talked to him about plenty of actual, real-life stuff in real time -- but he didn't get a mention either. I will make a list of people I seriously don't care for before I stop posting here, and publish it just to prove it. As far as your analysis of my likability and personality go, you're probably right. As far your "why the people that like me tend to like me" analysis goes, I will say your analysis is, while overly flattering, is pretty spot on. The only change I would make is: what people like is that they <i>perceive </i>that I'm open and honest and transparent and all that. Part of what is commonly referred to as "charisma" is giving the impression: genuineness or sincerity (one of those was the word you were looking for). I can make a bad joke then make fun of myself, and people perceive my behavior as genuine, even when I'm obviously and openly using hyperbole and rhetoric
<br>I'm on the list because I'm awesome.<br>
I quoted this post like 2 hours ago, when LOST started, and remember having something to say, and now I don't remember exactly what it was. It was probably going to be something like, "you are awesome, indeed."
<br>because the bear wants to maul that ass, you mean.<br>
<br><br>(see above)<br><br>
<br>I agree with your assessment. His combination of attributes definately is unique and thus Wangy, or Wanginess, or damn, where's that perfect word when you need it?<br>
I am...incredibly Wangy. But I believe the word you're looking for is: "Wangtastic."
<br>I was gonna post mine after the draft as well, since I'm not in any sickie pools. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell about a few hints you've dropped, they're somewhat similar in several aspects.<br>
Memphis is the best team, Gonzaga is going to make the Final 4, and all the 6 seeds are better than all the threes, except Marquette who kinda sucks now that James is down. There's no point to us doing this draft thing or a head-to-head bracket. I think I have an edge -- I spent hours using the KenPom pyth stats (with some minor adjustments) to find an expected #wins value for each team, so the only thing left is figuring out where you're going to go and where I should try to grab each team -- but it probably isn't even that big since you're probably the second-most-knoledgable NCAA Tournament player here.Just so you know, binking Wake or Gonzaga into the final 4 wouldn't be a huge "OMG WTF" move or anything, Bizzle. Gonzaga would favored by 4 points against Okie or Syracuse, and is a virtual pick'em against UNC. Gonzaga to win it all at 100-1 is a pretty strong position to have right now. I wasn't satisfied with that, so I dropped some bombs on them to win their region at 8-1 and later again at 7-1 after they moved it.Okay, I want to fill out a few Yahoo! Army brackets or a sickie bracket, but I don't know how and I haven't heard a response from SBriand regarding the spending of my money (though I haven't looked) so: if somebody in charge puts up a link in the next hour I'll do it and have fun.
To further assess our Wang's personality profile I used a thorough investigative process involving everyone, I mean no one exceptmy own awesome personality assessing ability from years of donking dumbass customers/waitresses in the face with twenties and using my superior computer and graphic analysis I give you the Wang personality profile.nice.jpg
I... do not even know what this means. What is the graph of? What are the axes? What is a DISC?Longest. Post. Ever. I've been "replying" for going on 3 hours now...