How Bad Was This Play

A little background live tourny 50 players I am at a pretty tight table we started with 2000 in chips I had stack of 3400 I had a tight image I had not seen a showdown all night the blinds are at 200-400. I am in the bb it is folded to th sb who had raised a couple of times in the same situation. he raises it to 800 I look down at j-5 the small blind had been pretty tight and I had seen him lay down to reraises before. I think he is on a steal so I think for a sec then move in. our stacks are close and if I raise here I am pot comitted or close to it! so I decide it is push or fold so I push he call right away with A-8 Off and it holds up. My friends called me a donkey and made fun of me all the way home I think that It was not that bad of a play I just got unlucky to run into ace high. What do you all think? thanks for your comments in advance.

The all in here doesn't work, because the stacks aren't too big, and he could call you w/ any marginal ace, such as A8os...Also, say he had raised w/ a legitimate hand, you have just invested all of your chips against possibly a hand that dominates you, and you're definitely an underdog at that.I'd say to only try to do something like this with a hand that would be would be a little better than a blind hand.

Think i might of waited and let the sb think he could steal all day and wait for the big one to make that move. still think calling another 2000+ with A8 ninto a tight players raise is a little stupid so the move should have worked by the sb made a stupid play

Think i might of waited and let the sb think he could steal all day and wait for the big one to make that move. still think calling another 2000+ with A8 ninto a tight players raise is a little stupid so the move should have worked by the sb made a stupid play
He made a small mistake, sure. But you made a worse one. What is more likely to work if you want to slow him down is to call then jam the flop. It has to be a flop that you figure misses a blind stealer. Even then it is likely to fail more often then it works. I think protecting the blinds with marginal hands is probably one of the biggest mistakes I see in the latter stages of tournaments. Even though you know the guy is on a steal, you really need a great hand to play back with. I far more often let the blinds go, then go steal from someone else. It is the gap concept in full effect.

Sorry, but BAD CALL!!! It's worth a play if you have A-xos, K-xs, or any two paint cards, but with J-5o, it's just waaaaaay too unlikely for him to have an equally bad hand.