For The Christians Of Fcp. Is It Alright To Drink Alcohol?

In your opinion do you think its alright for Christians to drink. even a little?What are your thoughts? I would like to hear what Daniel thinks about this since I have heard he is a Christian.Here are some links that say its wrong.jesusisthelight.net/BROTHERS.htmwww.biblebb.com/files/macqa/70-9-3.htmwww.layhands.com/CanChristiansDrinkAlcohol.htm

I'm not even a Christian and I can answer this one in that anything in excess is a sin. Alcohol isn't a sin (Jesus drank it, that lush) but drinking it in excess, ie getting drunk is a sin.Anybody else?

I'm not even a Christian and I can answer this one in that anything in excess is a sin. Alcohol isn't a sin (Jesus drank it, that lush) but drinking it in excess, ie getting drunk is a sin.Anybody else?
well done shakezuma

Becoming an alcoholic is a sin just like becoming a fat pig through over eating is a sin. There is NO evidence in the Bible that drinking alcohol is a sin. In fact, quite the opposite is true. There are several passages that mention drinking wine.

I forget which book it's in, I think Galatians, but it says in the Bible that the reason why getting drunk is wrong is that it lowers your inhibitions. Inhibitions are basically that little voice in the back of your head telling you what's right and wrong (or your conscience). So when you're drunk you do bad things (pre-marital sex, cuss, etc) because your inhibitions are lowered.From this I take that just getting drunk isn't necessarily wrong, it's just the things that you do while you're drunk that are the problem. So the key is to just drink in moderation so that you're always in control.or at least that's how I rationalize it. :club:

Daniel,I must state that being an "alcoholic" is not a sin in itself as this is a very real disease that the person has no control of their own over - and 99.9 % of the time must receive help in order to recover. The sin with drinking is in the excess in getting drunk whether you are an alcoholic or not.If you drink and get drunk - then that is the sin many people feel is pointed out in the bible. There are many alcoholics in recovery that had not had a drink in many years. They are still an alcoholic in soberiety.A great verse states , "do not get drunk on wine but get drunk on the Holy Spirit". I do not have actually where that verse comes from handy as I am at work... so maybe a fellow reader/poster can state exactly what verse that is from.Point of my post was to mention that being and alcoholic in itself is not the sin. It is a disease. The sin is in the excess whether you are an alcoholic or not.Steve D

I'd like to add that it says nothing in the Bible about which wine to drink with which meat/fish, so when those snotty little bistro bastards start in on you for ordering Merlot, quote some Bible verse for them, just like Jules Winfield does in Pulp Fiction.

I'd like to add that it says nothing in the Bible about which wine to drink with which meat/fish, so when those snotty little bistro bastards start in on you for ordering Merlot, quote some Bible verse for them, just like Jules Winfield does in Pulp Fiction.
Actually, Psalms 6:13 says "Thou shalt have'st a peppery Zinfandel with thou's fish, but thou stickest to Cabernet when thou eateth spicy foods"look it up.

I never could cut it in Bible Studies...Heck, no one even laughed or clapped when I was in the church plays...It's been a sad, sad life.On an up note, anyone know a brand name for a decent quality peppery Zinfandel around 15$?

Becoming an alcoholic is a sin just like becoming a fat pig through over eating is a sin. There is NO evidence in the Bible that drinking alcohol is a sin. In fact, quite the opposite is true. There are several passages that mention drinking wine.
How Christian of you. :club:
Wow, metaphor's are against Christianity?You guys have a lot of rules.
On an up note, anyone know a brand name for a decent quality peppery Zinfandel around 15$?
Ravenswood has a good one - and you can find it at everywhere for around $7.

Here's kind of a new spin on it. I think anytime you become addicted to something, you're sinning. By addicted, I mean you couldn't put whatever it is down and not leave it behind for good and be happy. This applies with all things, drinking, gambling, cigarettes, etc.

Here's kind of a new spin on it. I think anytime you become addicted to something, you're sinning. By addicted, I mean you couldn't put whatever it is down and not leave it behind for good and be happy. This applies with all things, drinking, gambling, cigarettes, etc.
I would agree with you on this. I think a great test for people is to just quit something for a week and see what happens...see just how much you really need those things

Did Jesus ever say anything against alcohol?Also, according to the Bible, he turned water into wine at the wedding feast.If you want to go back further, there's the Jewish festival of Purim where traditonally you are encouraged to drink and gamble.PURIM EVERYDAY!!!!!(BTW, I might have transliterated Purim wrongly)

i personally drink and think it is ok on a certain level.it is ok to drink, it says in the bible that jesus even drank and invited a child into a hut with him and a friend to celebrate gods glory.but it is not ok when you drink so much to the level that you are not in control of what you are doing. if you are not in control of what you are doing then you might do something that might discrace you and/or God.My cousins "christian" boyfriend drinks hiumself stupid and makes a total *** of himself which is just not cool

We serve God with our minds- alcohol effects our thinking. The scriptures where he talks of it, it's negative, with a stern warning against drunkedness. So, if you have two drinks and catch a buzz, it's affecting your mind, right? And to some extent you are drunk, right? If you have one drink nothing happens- so, might as well drink something else. It's also a question of appropriate use of your time. Why not be studying your Bible instead of doing Jagrbombers?
Actually, Psalms 6:13 says "Thou shalt have'st a peppery Zinfandel with thou's fish, but thou stickest to Cabernet when thou eateth spicy foods"look it up.
Riesling goes better with spicy foods, or a Fume Blanc. A Pinot Grigio even.
Daniel,I must state that being an "alcoholic" is not a sin in itself as this is a very real disease that the person has no control of their own over - and 99.9 % of the time must receive help in order to recover. The sin with drinking is in the excess in getting drunk whether you are an alcoholic or not.If you drink and get drunk - then that is the sin many people feel is pointed out in the bible. There are many alcoholics in recovery that had not had a drink in many years. They are still an alcoholic in soberiety.A great verse states , "do not get drunk on wine but get drunk on the Holy Spirit". I do not have actually where that verse comes from handy as I am at work... so maybe a fellow reader/poster can state exactly what verse that is from.Point of my post was to mention that being and alcoholic in itself is not the sin. It is a disease. The sin is in the excess whether you are an alcoholic or not.Steve D
I've always had a few problems with this statement.I think it is more accurate to call alcoholism a "self-inflicted mental disorder."Doctors/advocates seem to like to call this a disease (although many doctors do not prescribe to this) because alcoholics can't "help" it. But "comparable" disorders (Schizophrenia, dementia, etc.), while they can have roots in unhealthy living, in fact are not self-inflicted. Alcoholism and other addictions are. I really dont' think it's fair to put someone sufferring from Alzheimers or from bone cancer in the same category as an alcoholic.I've also heard it said "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." If we accept this as true, you are not sinning b/c you "are" one. You are sinning, however, if you act upon it. I tend to view homosexuality in about the same terms. You are not innocent if you act upon it, as if for instance you are deranged due to Alzheimers and you hit someone with a car. For as far as "diseases" go, you caused it, you can get help, and you are responsible for those actions.