Why Do Atheists Even Care?

woohoo!it is simply my opinion that the Bible is not an accurate historical portrayal. my post purposely made that assumption without qualification. my goal was to to do so in the same way Christians usually assume their beliefs to be the truth, without qualifying them. What you read in my post is the same thing we hear from Christians every day, and you are correct to be annoyed by it.The above does not go for the discussion on this forum, which has been inclusive and uncondescending.Daniel
Hehe so in your own words you "have knowledge without justification for that knowledge?" thats a big philosophical no no. I agree that some christians blindly believe and that is unfortunate. God tells us to be as prepared as possible at all times and unfortunately people forget this part.
It is clear what side your on and thats fine. But your assertion of what is irrational and rational are not really correct. rational coudl be defined as a belief is rational for some person S at some time t is to say that the belief has justification or warrant for S at t.therefore to say that it a christian is irrational is in fact not correct
I agree that a Christian isn't necessarily irrational, and I didn't mean to imply that, if for no other reason than that most people are too complex to simply label that way. I prefer to speak of ideas as being rational or irrational.I also agree that believe in "god" can, in principle, be argued via reason (regardless of whether the argument is correct). For example, the great medieval Catholic philosopher/theologian, St. Thomas Aquinas, is known for (among other things) claiming that theistic belief can be justified rationally using the logic of the Ancient Greeks. Although I think Aquinas' arguments are erroneous, I wouldn't call them "irrational."That being said, virtually all "arguments" I hear from Christians are in fact profoundly irrational. This is obviously just my opinion. The problem often occurs when they attempt to deny or hijack well known, scientifically validated facts to fit their dogma. If the Christian would simply admit, "I know my beliefs make no rational sense, but I have faith," you would hear no retort from me.
Because religious people are constantly causing strife by meddling in other peoples lives by trying to convert them or judge their lifestyles
You cause more strife in Christains lives than they do yours, I guarantee it.

you guarentee it? I live my life I've never hurt a soul - meanwhile televangelists steal, while leaders quibble about whose god is better causing death and strife from the crusades, to the pograms, to the holocaust - clearly I've caused more strife sitting in my apartment watching television than the pope who looked aside while hitler and mussolina stomped across europeyou align yourself with a group that has a history and so you must defend that history which has both pros and cons I'm just me i've never hurt a living soul

you guarentee it? I live my life I've never hurt a soul - meanwhile televangelists steal, while leaders quibble about whose god is better causing death and strife from the crusades, to the pograms, to the holocaust - clearly I've caused more strife sitting in my apartment watching television than the pope who looked aside while hitler and mussolina stomped across europeyou align yourself with a group that has a history and so you must defend that history which has both pros and cons I'm just me i've never hurt a living soul
I disagree with this statement. Just bc I agree with what a group does now, shouldnt mean I have to defend everything they've done in the past.
I disagree with this statement. Just bc I agree with what a group does now, shouldnt mean I have to defend everything they've done in the past.
No, but you have to accept what was done in the past.