Ps 180 Person $20 Sngs

I've noticed more and more people playing these and posting questions about them. Since they are my primary livelihood, I figured I would post the strat system that I use, and hopefully help some people out as well as get feedback on where other people's strategies diverge from mine. This is probably going to be a very long post, but if you play the 180s regularly you might find it useful and I would certainly appreciate feedback. If not, you'd probably find it tedious and boring, so go ahead and skip :)This is great Thank you Therrinn! I have been playing poker with my buddies since I listened to the WSOP on Sirius last fall and I can see I am getting better but still making stupid mistakes. This helped me get to finish 24th in a $4 + $0.40 180 sng at which time I donkey'd away my chips. I am learning and have read HoH and am reading Super system 2 along with these forums. So thank you also to every one else for their posts. Knowledge is power.Rick
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had gotten away from these for awhile but started playing them again as my bankroll started creeping down out of my comfort zone. These are the best. Lots of terrible players in the first hour to hopefully bust. If you make it past the 2nd hour you are right at the bubble. Gives you more opportunities to play in situations where you dont get to play as much in the bigger mtts. A very good way to get alot of mtt expirience while building a BR. Now if I can just catch a break and finnally get a 1st.

Great advice! I read this and studied it before I played a 180, and finished 20th my first try, some bad beats and I was out, but this really helped.

cool.. i couldnt have said it better myself.I find there are certian people with games that are almost engineered to fit these 180's perfectly.I've read HOH and HOH2, and its very easy to see plays you should be making and when u should make them because a lot of these people have not read 1 thread or 1 book to do with poker MTT's.good job therrin

I find there are certian people with games that are almost engineered to fit these 180's perfectly.
Sadly, I think I fit into this category. My ROI for the 180's is ridiculous, however I have a negative ROI for mtts/stts. ISAP.
Sadly, I think I fit into this category. My ROI for the 180's is ridiculous, however I have a negative ROI for mtts/stts. ISAP.
Sadly? These things are cash cows if you put in the volume.Scope shaundeeb.
  • 2 weeks later...

After playing about 10 of these I had no luck, was constantly getting 20-30ish place but now after re-reading them quite a few time I have came 5th and 2nd on the 4.40s, awesome guides and awesome replies by all!

• 2 weeks later...

I have two questions about the main post, "The reason that I feel like I have such an advantage is simply that people haven't read their HoH. Very few people seem to have an understanding of M, or know which hands to play against which sized stacks, or when and whom to bluff."what dose HoH mean ?what is the "M" ?

what dose HoH mean ?what is the "M" ?
HOH refers to the Harrington on Hold'em series. 3 volumes written by Dan Harrington, which are pretty much the bibles of tournament play.M is a concept outlined in HOH, which is a representation of your stack in relation to the blinds and antes. The exact forumla is: Your Stack/[bB+SB+n(Antes)], where n is the number of players at the table. 1 M represents the cost of playing one round at the table, ie 9 antes paid, the SB and the BB, and your M represents how many rounds you have left at the current blind level.Welcome to the forums, and feel free to ask all the questions ya need!Cheers.- Zach
I did ridiculously well in the first few of these (actually the $4.40 version) I played: after maybe losing two or three buyins, I got to HU two consecutive times, winning one and getting sucked out on to finish second in the other. So I was pretty excited, obviously. But then I lost enough consecutive buyins to lose all that profit (quite a feat--not sure how many times it took, let's see...wow, over eighty--crazy) and I was left with a bad taste in the end and quit playing them. Seeing this thread pop up makes me wonder if I should return; but OTOH even if that was just some rough variance, I think one reason I am reluctant is that psychologically I like to win consistently, and I like playing shorthanded and HU. So even if I were to get a decent ROI from scoring big occasionally, I'm not sure I would enjoy myself very much.
  • 4 weeks later...

this is all i play i just found this forum and read this thread i play these pretty well scope has me at like 50% ROI and ive won these a couple times. Ive won like 1300 from these overall. I only play the 4 because ive needed the money a couple times and had to yank it out but i just wanted to say i love ur strategy on this and im gonna put it to good use i placed 10th and 28th (when the big stack called my 4.5k raise before the flop wit 10 9 diamonds and held a q of diamonds) otherwise might have 2 consecutive cashes. Thank u for this great info and everyone who contributed it love it

this is all i play i just found this forum and read this thread i play these pretty well scope has me at like 50% ROI and ive won these a couple times. Ive won like 1300 from these overall. I only play the 4 because ive needed the money a couple times and had to yank it out but i just wanted to say i love ur strategy on this and im gonna put it to good use i placed 10th and 28th (when the big stack called my 4.5k raise before the flop wit 10 9 diamonds and held a q of diamonds) otherwise might have 2 consecutive cashes. Thank u for this great info and everyone who contributed it love it
Welcome to the strat forums dude.
This may be a dumb question, but why is this not pinned anymore?
I wanted to have more than this pinned, so there's the Strategy and Resource guide pinned at the top with this included.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
haven't played one in ages, how are the fields these days? Are they tougher than they used to be?
I think they are.Whenever I make a final table almost everybody there with me...at least in the final 5 or so...is a winning low limit player. Last year when I was killing these things I used to see fish bowls on sharkscope at final tables with me. I haven't seen one in ages. Last year at this time 8/9 at the final table were huge donkfish...now maybe 2 or 3 of the 9 are. The rest are profitable grinders.
  • 3 months later...

Hi, all. I don't really post on here ever, just read mostly, but I gotta say, this is exactly the type of advice of I've been looking for, for a very long time. As it turns out, some of it I was already applying, which was good to have reinforced. I've been doing very well at the $5 and $10 27 and 18 sng's, 3 or 4 wins out of the last 6 or 7 I've played, and I've won a couple with bigger fields, but I've been looking for just the kind of specific advice I've seen here. I will try to post some of my views as well if I could ever get away from the damn table, heh. Just wanted to say thanks :club:

• 4 weeks later...