You Say Tomatoe, Is Say... Well Tomatoe I Guess.

I dont really know where this should go. But given that me any the rest of the sensible world call it football I'll try and post this here.Given that Danny boy likes ice-hockey I thought I might start a thread about god's greatest game, football - or Soccer.The reason I mention ice hockey is because the two sports have similarities. Soccer is fast paced and as continuous as possible where as Football and Baseball are slow and very stop-start. Basketball seems to take it far and is just end to end.That said I know very little about those sports.Being from Scotland, its all about football (soccer). The world cup is looming, which is the largest sporting event in the world. I cannot wait for June 9th.Any other football fans out there? I dont know if Daniel reads these, but if you do get yourself some tickets to the finals in Germany dude. That goes for any other wealthy people of prominence.Anyways.If there are an fands out there, whats the game like ovr the pond? Any opinions on the world cup?Cheers. Stu

I dont really know where this should go. But given that me any the rest of the sensible world call it football I'll try and post this here.Given that Danny boy likes ice-hockey I thought I might start a thread about god's greatest game, football - or Soccer.The reason I mention ice hockey is because the two sports have similarities. Soccer is fast paced and as continuous as possible where as Football and Baseball are slow and very stop-start. Basketball seems to take it far and is just end to end.That said I know very little about those sports.Being from Scotland, its all about football (soccer). The world cup is looming, which is the largest sporting event in the world. I cannot wait for June 9th.Any other football fans out there? I dont know if Daniel reads these, but if you do get yourself some tickets to the finals in Germany dude. That goes for any other wealthy people of prominence.Anyways.If there are an fands out there, whats the game like ovr the pond? Any opinions on the world cup?Cheers. Stu
This forum is about American football. I dont know much about soccer, but I guess we can share this forum with you soccer fans.
Sports- FootballCollege Football, Arena Football, or NFL, this forum is all about the pig skin
Well, there is plenty of room in here. I think we can share. I am sure the soccer fans will keep there posts in soccer threads. :club:
Soccer is fast paced and as continuous as possible where as Football and Baseball are slow and very stop-start. Basketball seems to take it far and is just end to end.
I've always thought of soccer as mind-numbingly slow. Kick.. ..kick.. ..kick.. ..RUN DOWN THE SIDELINE FOR SCORING CHANCE.. ..kick.. ..kick....From the Simpsons:The Mexican soccer team has first possession of the ball and is cautiously kicking the ball around, setting up for a goal as the Portugal team stands there, awaiting the play to develop. The crowd quickly grows bored.Brockman: (obviously bored as he calls the action) "Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. (rolls eyes) Holds it..."Mexican Announcer: (excitedly) "Halfback passes to center, back to wing, back to center, center holds it! Holds it! Holds it!" :club:
Guys, there is no reason to be a dick to the OP, because, real football is soccer
Agreed.Americans act like football was around before soccer, cracks me up. The real question is why is football called football? There are very few plays in the game where the ball is kicked to begin with. Kickoffs, Punts and Fieldgoals... and thats where the game gets it's name?I am looking forward to the World Cup.Soccer is something I think you have to have played to appreciate, like many other sports. I find baseball to be extremly boring for example, but people who grew up playing little league are likely to disagree with me.
OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think soccer threads should stay in the football forum if thats what the soccer guys want. the whole world isn't north american after all.and soccer really is the most beautiful sport. im not a big fan, but it really seems to be the most pure sport out there. some of us might enjoy watching hockey, baseball, football or knitting more, but no reason to denegrate the sport. except for beckham - that guy pisses me off.
i think soccer threads should stay in the football forum if thats what the soccer guys want. the whole world isn't north american after all.and soccer really is the most beautiful sport. im not a big fan, but it really seems to be the most pure sport out there. some of us might enjoy watching hockey, baseball, football or knitting more, but no reason to denegrate the sport. except for beckham - that guy pisses me off.
I LOVE COMPETITIVE KNITTINT!! THAT SWEATER THAT GRANDMA JONES WHOPPED KEELER WITH WAS FLAT OUT SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who was being a dick to the OP?
YOU, YOU *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!J/K

The only time I ever watch Soccer is during the World Cup. When there's national pride on the line, I'm compelled to watch and root. Otherwise it's just a bunch of skinny guys running up and down the field, falling down on purpose, and ripping their shirts off and sliding in the grass when they score the only goal of the entire 90 minute game. Soccer would be much more enjoyable with 3-4 less players per side and a smaller goal. Never happen, but that would get me to watch. 22 players on the field at once is just ridiculous, there would be more opportunity for individual talent to shine with less.

The only time I ever watch Soccer is during the World Cup. When there's national pride on the line, I'm compelled to watch and root. Otherwise it's just a bunch of skinny guys running up and down the field, falling down on purpose, and ripping their shirts off and sliding in the grass when they score the only goal of the entire 90 minute game. Soccer would be much more enjoyable with 3-4 less players per side and a smaller goal. Never happen, but that would get me to watch. 22 players on the field at once is just ridiculous, there would be more opportunity for individual talent to shine with less.
what you describe is similar to indoor soccer
YOU, YOU *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!J/K
I think he was talking about me though. That's the 2nd time KDawg has called me out on something when I didn't think I was doing anything dick-y. I'm just wondering because I try to be respectful to other posters.
Players don't fall down on purpose any more than they do in any other sport. When your running full speed and get your legs tangled by a sliding tackle, yoru not falling on purpose. I once shattered a kids leg in two and he didnt walk for 8 months. Soccer is a very physical sport.You would probably like indoor soccer better. 5 on 5 plus goalies, play the balls off the wall, line changes like hockey, no offsides and it is very fast paced. To my knowledge it is not currently played professionally anywhere.

You can't seriously tell me you've never seen a soccer player take a dive before. Anyone who's ever seen a soccer game in their life has seen a player fall down when he was barely touched, to try to draw a yellow card for the other team. The last time I watched the World Cup it was an epidemic, guys were falling over if they were breathed on too hard. Before I catch any crap, I know hockey players do this too, and I hate the practice in that sport also. At least the NHL is fining for it.

I think he was talking about me though. That's the 2nd time KDawg has called me out on something when I didn't think I was doing anything dick-y. I'm just wondering because I try to be respectful to other posters.
Other famous Dick's ( besides Hobbes):dickvermeil2wn.jpgdickvandyke7sb.jpgvitale3fp.jpg
You can't seriously tell me you've never seen a soccer player take a dive before. Anyone who's ever seen a soccer game in their life has seen a player fall down when he was barely touched, to try to draw a yellow card for the other team. The last time I watched the World Cup it was an epidemic, guys were falling over if they were breathed on too hard. Before I catch any crap, I know hockey players do this too, and I hate the practice in that sport also. At least the NHL is fining for it.
I hate the theatrics too. You'll see a guy rolling on the grass like he's been shot, then when he sees no yellow card is forthcoming he hops back up and is running around.
Other famous Dick's ( besides Hobbes):vitale3fp.jpg
Nice picture. What about this guy?http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...P/Pole_Dick.stm
No one ever takes flops in basketball or football? Please, smart players do it all the time.
Beckham pisses everyone off..poser that he is. Overated and always has been
No one ever takes flops in basketball or football? Please, smart players do it all the time.
Football and Basketball players aren't as dramatic about it, IMO. I hate basketball for other reasons, and football has greatly lost it's appeal for me recently.
Football and Basketball players aren't as dramatic about it, IMO. I hate basketball for other reasons, and football has greatly lost it's appeal for me recently.
So... your a baseball fan? I'm trying to figure out what sports you have not alienated.As far as flopping, I see it overdramatised everywhere. DB's and WR's trying to get interference calls, Vlade Divac... etc. It's just part of sports.
So... your a baseball fan? I'm trying to figure out what sports you have not alienated.As far as flopping, I see it overdramatised everywhere. DB's and WR's trying to get interference calls, Vlade Divac... etc. It's just part of sports.
But they don't pretend that their leg is falling off. I don't really have anything against soccer, but whenever I've watched it that stands out.