nl minimum bet?

My question is about the logic of making a minimum bet in no limit holdem. Specifically online at a $50 NL table, which means $50 is the most you can buy in for, the blinds are .50 and $1.00. I just think it's a silly bet when someone does it but I see it all the time so maybe I'm missing something.For example, with 4 limpers in the pot sometimes sb or bb will make a minimum bet of a dollar and all the limpers call. This is just one situation but I've seen minimum bets preflop in just about every situation imaginable and I just don't get it.What is the logic of these minimum bets?

i know exactly what your talking about...for the preflop...sometimes its a play that good players will make with a hand like tjs just to build the pot because with enough limpers they have a pot equity edge...however, at the 50 level, i dont think a majority of players dont even know what position is....also, stranger than that...is when your on fourth st. or something right, the pot contains like $14, and the guy makes a $1 bet....lol, its utterly ridiculous...i really don't think youre missing something, perhaps other than just playing poorly

The purpose of that bet is to tell you that a pot size raise will make them fold. If they insist on making tiny bets into large pots I see no reason not to take the pot away from them.
Good answer. Raise the hell out of the minimum bet.

It's also a good trap bet when the player has something good. I use it every once in awile...sometimes it's beter than check raising to get someone to make a mistake. I admit i don't play much ring nl games. just started back up this week and in 2000 hands I'm up about 22bb/100. These games seem very passive so far and i'm fairly tight so that' saying something.

Yawn.Sometimes, It's a poor semibluff. Many amateurs use it to try to buy a free street against weaker opponents. They usually end up losing to those weaker opponents when they both hit their draws and they stupidly bet into the weaker player, whose flush was higher. :]Sometimes, It's a poor blocking bet, but that doesn't stop anyone from making it.Sometime's, it's a poor trapping bet with a vulnerable hand. Any draw calls, often getting triple digit to one odds.Sometimes, it's an accidental minbet instead of a check or larger bet.Sometimes, it's comedy gold.Sometimes, it's someone who accidentally clicked on a NL table and didn't notice the slider.Rarely, it's a good play.-adam

The post that says bet the heck out of them makes some sense but I don't know whether that would be profitable in long run since some people do it with real power such as AA or KK.

A lot of playhers will check the check / fold button and the minimum bet will cause those players to fold their hands. Its an online thang.
Yeah that makes sense post flop. I was talking more about preflop.